Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Launch Edition R1T, Canyon Red, BM interior, 22" sport bright wheels
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my LE Red Canyon R1T about 6 weeks ago and I brought it in this week to get a full front PPF application. The truck was dusty due to local road construction so I did not notice this, but the shop contacted me to say that there was a significant amount of spots on the roof and hood that have been etched into the paint and (at least at that point, after an hour of effort) were not able to be buffed out. I went there to see for myself and they look like water spots, or possibly bird dropping spots, however it seems like after such a short period of time spots of these nature should not be able to etch into the paint, isn't that the purpose of clear coat? Also, I live in northern California so we haven't had any rain or moisture other than morning dew (and there are no trees nearby as its a brand new subdivision with very immature foliage, so it's definitely not sap). Has anyone else encountered something similar? I have a service appointment scheduled next week and I am debating whether I should try to get the truck detailed to see if they can get the spots out or wait and show the SC to see if its a paint defect or defect with the clear coat. Just curious if anyone else is in the same boat, and if so what did you find out/what did Rivian do for you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if it was bird droppings or similar it can go straight through your clear in less than a day especially if its hot. heck even bug guts will eat through as well
Good to know, there are way too many spots to all be bird droppings, most are perfectly circular which makes me think water spots. It's also only on the hood and roof (the worst seems to be on edge of roof between windshield and pano roof), so definitely something that came from overhead, nothing on the grill or side panels so bug guts are unlikely. Just very strange!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess it's also worth mentioning that my previous truck was a very similar color and in the 6 years I owned it, I never had a similar spot on the paint, including in the year and a half we had that truck here at this house where I currently park the R1T.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when the OP says clear coat they mean the paint, not the PPF
Yes, that is correct I was referring to the paint not the PPF, although my PPF is also peeling a bit and was delivered with all sorts of wax or dirt residue under the edge but that is part of what they are addressing when I take it to the SC this week. I am going to show them the spots on the paint while it is there and see if there is anything they will do, the truck has been through nearly 8 hours of buffing by a professional detailer and the spots are not coming off, the detailer suspects the spots might be car wash soap that was not completely rinsed off and left sitting out in the sun (I hadn't washed vehicle prior to this, so if thats the case it came to me that way) so I hope it is some sort of defect they will address as it seems very early in its life for there to be permanent paint damage, particularly when no other vehicle at this house has anything similar after sitting here for much longer!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts