Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
202? R1S Adventure
8 Posts
I don't believe there is hardware right now for HUD. CarPlay/AA are not on the menu as of now, but anything is possible if enough people complain.
I agree with Alita. I contacted an agent are asked for CarPlay/AA/Sirius XM to be added. Rivian is taking these lack of features out of Tesla's playbook.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I talked to Rivian at the Sonoma test drive and they said there is nothing in the works to support Apple or android. They mentioned that Apple/android needs to take over the whole screen/UI non sense and that this was one of the reasons. They mentioned that if Apple/android allows them to have a split screen, then maybe they will support it in the future.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have you ever dealt with Apple? If Rivian wanted to do this, they would have to pay a hefty royalty to Apple and get Apple's approval of Rivian's software in order to support CarPlay. IMO it's likely they made a business judgement that such an agreement is not going to boost Rivian's sales at this time, therefore is not worth spending significant dollars on. If so, that shows some good judgement on Rivian's part. CarPlay and Spotify are just ways to make money off the back of the musicians/content creators.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Have you ever dealt with Apple? If Rivian wanted to do this, they would have to pay a hefty royalty to Apple and get Apple's approval of Rivian's software in order to support CarPlay. IMO it's likely they made a business judgement that such an agreement is not going to boost Rivian's sales at this time, therefore is not worth spending significant dollars on. If so, that shows some good judgement on Rivian's part. CarPlay and Spotify are just ways to make money off the back of the musicians/content creators.
Do you have any evidence to back this up? I thought there might be a licensing fee to the auto manufacturer, but several google searches have found no confirmation of that -- in fact, I found several articles saying that Apple did NOT charge auto manufacturers do participate in CarPlay.

·
Registered
38 Posts
No, I don't have any evidence, my experience is one step removed. I have not worked for a car company directly.

After some reading it appears I'm wrong about CarPlay licensing costs to automakers. The internet says it's free, for what that's worth, and I don't have evidence to contradict that. I do find that very strange and out of line with every other Apple practice I'm familiar with. I'm sure Apple gets paid somehow. For example, if you want to build AirPlay support into a product you have to sign an NDA, pay a licensing fee, pay a royalty per unit, get approval from Apple for your software/hardware implementation, etc. before you can label your product as AirPlay compatible. Apple does not give away software, it is a proprietary product and they keep it under tight control. If CarPlay could be done truly at no cost then everyone would be supporting it, but it took a long time to catch on and there are still companies that don't support it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
If CarPlay could be done truly at no cost then everyone would be supporting it, but it took a long time to catch on and there are still companies that don't support it.
There is some cost because the manufacturer must include the hardware and write the software to support CarPlay…. Development resources do have a cost. But I haven’t found any evidence that the cost includes paying Apple. Apple has an incentive to license the tech freely, as it furthers their ecosystem and makes customers more sticky.

Other than Tesla and Rivian, who isn’t supporting it? Seems pretty ubiquitous, to me. Even Toyota, who previously resisted heavily, has given in to their customers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts