Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I liked about camping with EV's is the ability to park at a campsite plugged in and have climate-controlled place to sleep (you can set up a matress with back seats laying down. I was hoping this would be some option still in the R1T with the tent...like if the back window could row down and the tent could connect to it.

Does the back window roll down on the truck? I haven't seen anything that shows it rolled down, and I assume the gear tunnel would be in the way?

I know this probably just sounds silly but if I'm going to be at a campsite with an EV, that would have been nice to be able to do. I guess if someone wants to do that, they just need to buy the R1S...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isn't that glamping though? Perhaps a portable unit plugged into the truck?
Yep, sure is. But my wife likes to say "why would I pay to live in primitive conditions in a tent, on the ground, uncomfortable...when I grew up in a 3rd world country living like that". lol

So yes, she does not find any enjoyment in paying money to camp and be uncomfortable. so if we go camping, I have to make sure it's comfortable for her.

·
Registered
R1T Launch Edition
34 Posts

I do wish the R1T had a mid-gate or roll-down or removable rear window … the metal tonneau is not great and I'd much rather the functionality of extending the bed into the cabin.

·
Registered
253 Posts
This is the sole reason I am debating going from my R1T reservation to the R1S. My last 2 cars have been wagons and I carcamp in them on bike trips. The R1S would allow me to eliminate the tents costs, and gain this ability... Things to consider for sure!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the sole reason I am debating going from my R1T reservation to the R1S. My last 2 cars have been wagons and I carcamp in them on bike trips. The R1S would allow me to eliminate the tents costs, and gain this ability... Things to consider for sure!
Yeah, I've been thinking the same too, but didn't know if I wanted to wait even longer to get it. You think I'm correct in assuming my delivery date will probably be at least another year later if I switch to R1S?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've done this in both our Model S and Model 3. You still have your frunk and lower trunk storage, along with the space by footwell of rear passenger, and front seats. With the R1S, you'd have a huge amount of room compared to what we did in the Model S/3

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yeah I understand there's ample storage space in the R1S, but the implication was that you would save space since you wouldn't need to carry a tent. This doesn't seem to a valid argument to me, because you actually lose space when you set aside an area inside the vehicle big enough to sleep in.

I've slept in quite a few cars, and never found it to be a pleasant experience since the space was always constrained. Which is why I asked about whether the back is big enough to lie down in. It's NOT quite big enough in my 4Runner, so I consider sleeping in the car more of a last resort. I would much rather use my 2lb backpacking tent and pad right next to the car than to sleep in the car, and those take up so little space that I always have them with me on a trip.

But my needs don't include air conditioning - if it's too hot at night to sleep in a tent, then it's certainly too hot during the day for me to be hiking/biking, so I'm unlikely to be in that situation. I'm usually more concerned about cold conditions.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I understand there's ample storage space in the R1S, but the implication was that you would save space since you wouldn't need to carry a tent. This doesn't seem to a valid argument to me, because you actually lose space when you set aside an area inside the vehicle big enough to sleep in.

I've slept in quite a few cars, and never found it to be a pleasant experience since the space was always constrained. Which is why I asked about whether the back is big enough to lie down in. It's NOT quite big enough in my 4Runner, so I consider sleeping in the car more of a last resort. I would much rather use my 2lb backpacking tent and pad right next to the car than to sleep in the car, and those take up so little space that I always have them with me on a trip.

But my needs don't include air conditioning - if it's too hot at night to sleep in a tent, then it's certainly too hot during the day for me to be hiking/biking, so I'm unlikely to be in that situation. I'm usually more concerned about cold conditions.
I think that poster was saying tent cost savings, not space savings. But yeah, I'm 6' tall and able to sleep in the cars I've owned with seats down and didn't mind it so I'm sure I'd be find in the R1S too. I never plan to get the kitchen and also my longboard surfboards I haul around regularly won't fit in the bed, requiring me to use roof racks anyway. So it does sound like R1S would be the better option for me. Things to consider...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I grew up camping and hiking but as an adult have not made the effort to continue it. There's something to be said for being one with nature. We are accustomed to controlled environments-our homes, officers, and most places. Our immune systems suffer because over thousands of years of evolution we have just started controlling our environment in the last 50 years. I feel as if we are much better off spending time in nature. I respect everyone's desires and differences. This is just my very limited educated viewpoint.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I grew up camping and hiking but as an adult have not made the effort to continue it. There's something to be said for being one with nature. We are accustomed to controlled environments-our homes, officers, and most places. Our immune systems suffer because over thousands of years of evolution we have just started controlling our environment in the last 50 years. I feel as if we are much better off spending time in nature. I respect everyone's desires and differences. This is just my very limited educated viewpoint.
I hear you on the need to get out of controlled environments of home/office. I work from home now...so it's easy to get into this routine you mentioned. But as I get older, a good nights sleep, especially when on vacation is something I value.
I surf every morning so I have no need to be in outdoors for my sleep. :p

So for me, even if camping, the more comfortable I can be with regards to my sleeping arrangement, the better.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah, I've been thinking the same too, but didn't know if I wanted to wait even longer to get it. You think I'm correct in assuming my delivery date will probably be at least another year later if I switch to R1S?
That's a hard one to speculate... If they were making R1S deliveries it might be easier to determine but it's anyone's guess at this time...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Here is the set up I use when going by myself and minimal or when my wife goes with the kids and I when we head north to goat hunt, kids and I in the RTT, her in the LX. 2nd and 3rd row folded, 1/2” plywood, exped megamat, and a sleeping bag. I’m 5’8” 165 lbs. I can lay flat but have very little extra room to stretch. My son is 5’9” and says either his head or feet touch seat/tailgate. We can double up as a regular full sized mattress will fit in the back but you lose any additional space for gear and movement when you add a 2nd person/bed. I’m fairly low maintenance when it comes to camping and the outdoors and even for me sleeping in my truck with another person is a PITA.

Although I’ve never seen a RS1 cargo volume seems similar to my LX. Also the bed of the R1T is only 4.5’ so not a ton of room back there.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Window Hood

1 - 20 of 27 Posts