Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Anyway to vent HVAC system outside of truck?

4K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  DosTacos 
Here is the set up I use when going by myself and minimal or when my wife goes with the kids and I when we head north to goat hunt, kids and I in the RTT, her in the LX. 2nd and 3rd row folded, 1/2” plywood, exped megamat, and a sleeping bag. I’m 5’8” 165 lbs. I can lay flat but have very little extra room to stretch. My son is 5’9” and says either his head or feet touch seat/tailgate. We can double up as a regular full sized mattress will fit in the back but you lose any additional space for gear and movement when you add a 2nd person/bed. I’m fairly low maintenance when it comes to camping and the outdoors and even for me sleeping in my truck with another person is a PITA.

Although I’ve never seen a RS1 cargo volume seems similar to my LX. Also the bed of the R1T is only 4.5’ so not a ton of room back there.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Window Hood

I was glad to see this thread. It's already triple digits in TX and I'm expecting to take delivery next week and have an iKamper that's been sitting in my garage for over a month. I am dying to go camping and will likely stay somewhere relatively close to home but was thinking of using a standard 115V 5000BTU window unit. I've camped like this in the past when heading to Big Bend during the summer months (I wasn't going for funsies but to work on my property) using a generator. The other options linked in this thread and the results from google just seem overpriced and underpowered. These window units use like 450W and the R1T has 1.5kW available. I recognize there is going to be drain on the battery but if you only ran it for a few hours and weren't too far off the beaten path, wouldn't this just be an easier solution?
My daughter has one of these battery generators for her business. With (4) of their solar panels. It has been amazing and highly reliable. Being a 24v system it will handle higher loads better then 12v.

I'm no expert on warm weather (or AC) here in Alaska, people act like it is the end of the world when it gets above 70F for more then a day. But do have an iKamper. It is very warm (and all black and dark brown) and well insulated, and not well ventilated. With my 2 teens and I in it, without an additional heater we use “summer weight” bags even when temps are in the 30’s F. I’ve never used the iKamper in temps above the 50’sF, but guessing in hot weather it will be quite a roaster inside, but will probably also insulate the cold in fairly well.

looks like those 5k btu units are mole like 350-450w max draw. Could probably run one 4-6+ hours on the above 1kw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.