Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Not sure Apple exec driving a free car at a billionaires ball means CarPlay is coming to Rivian. Amazon is Rivian's biggest investor and customer, so Amazon products will likely continue to dominate the dashboard.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Not sure Apple exec driving a free car at a billionaires ball means CarPlay is coming to Rivian. Amazon is Rivian's biggest investor and customer, so Amazon products will likely continue to dominate the dashboard.
"Dominate the dashboard"? Really? I count ONE Amazon product -- Alexa. And it's an absolutely awful implementation. All the other services are competitors -- not Amazon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't get the CarPlay enthusiasm. Every time I rent a car on a business trip with CarPlay, I end up wishing I was back in my Tesla. No doubt CarPlay is a huge step up from what these cars had before. My hope is that the Rivian GUI evolves into something as good or better than Tesla, and then I'll be happy as a clam. I love Spotify as my mobile music service, so obviously that is probably part of my bias.

Kirk

·
Registered
36 Posts
So you’re a fan of Rivian’s WrongWay(TM) nav, then?
Lol, no. I've spent a grand total of 30min driving the R1T on the test drive, so I didn't get a chance to experience how horrible the nav is. But I think the more likely path is for Rivian to improve on what they have vs. switching horses. I use Tesla as an example of what a non-CarPlay interface can evolve into, and if that's where it goes, I'm fine with it. I guess the push for CarPlay is so that we can get something better much more quickly, rather than wait for the software team at RIvian to make improvements on their initial design. And this makes sense, we certainly had to wait for a while for Tesla to work the bugs out of their GUI.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I use Tesla as an example of what a non-CarPlay interface can evolve into, and if that's where it goes,
Yikes...lets hope Rivian never goes the touchscreen mess route that Tesla has devolved into. Fortunately no one has followed Tesla down that rabbit hole.

CarPlay is really the way to go. No need for over the air updates except for car specific controls. Hopefully Amazon will let Rivian go to CarPlay/Auto in the near future.

·
Registered
89 Posts
ACP should be an option for the owner/driver. I use Waze every time I drive thru’ ACP and love it. Almost never use the OEM Nav in my etron. The messaging and Siri integration is perfect for our situation as primarily Apple product users.
Not saying its the right product for all, but it has to be an option before I purchase an R1S.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Not saying its the right product for all, but it has to be an option before I purchase an R1S.
Don't have it in the Tesla and it's not an issue. Tesla integrates with my iphone and shows calls and messages on the screen and reads them to me. The nav is good. I'd expect the same is true in the Rivian. I'd prefer CarPlay having had it in rentals but not a show stopper on a vehicle like Rivian, an EV tow and camping vehicle that is hard to match.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Don't have it in the Tesla and it's not an issue. Tesla integrates with my iphone and shows calls and messages on the screen and reads them to me. The nav is good. I'd expect the same is true in the Rivian.
It is definitely not true for Rivian, right now. There are huge missing features — no text messaging support, for example. What is implemented doesn’t work well, yet (nav, Alexa, spotify)

·
Registered
320 Posts
IMHO Tesla’s infotainment isn’t all that either. AFAIK it’s not an open platform, and even if it is there’s no 3d party apps. Same thing for Rivian. Not all iPhone apps are CarPlay enabled, but at least they could be.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
297 Posts
The advantage of something like CP/AA is that the apps on those systems will always far exceed the functionality of the built in ones, its just the economics of scale. Having your phone read off texts, make phones calls, integrate whatever music service you want or mapping services or charger is amazing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
CarPlay is confirmed for Lucid this year. Hope it comes to Rivian ASAP. Would be a massive differentiator versus Tesla, which is unlikely to adopt it. At the very least Rivian should support Airplay 2, which would allow us to beam things to our Rivian screens from an iPhone. Elon replied to a tweet not long ago indicating that he was actually considering this for Teslas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't get the CarPlay enthusiasm. Every time I rent a car on a business trip with CarPlay, I end up wishing I was back in my Tesla. No doubt CarPlay is a huge step up from what these cars had before. My hope is that the Rivian GUI evolves into something as good or better than Tesla, and then I'll be happy as a clam. I love Spotify as my mobile music service, so obviously that is probably part of my bias.

Kirk
Message access. Reply to telegram or what’s app messages. Waze, Apple Music high quality
Lots of reasons really. But more musk dribling on about apple being a locked down platform, yet does the same on tesla Infotainment

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Lol, no. I've spent a grand total of 30min driving the R1T on the test drive, so I didn't get a chance to experience how horrible the nav is. But I think the more likely path is for Rivian to improve on what they have vs. switching horses.
These things are mutually exclusive FYI... CarPlay is simply a tile on the Infotainment screen with "options" you can choose to use (from your device) that are rendered on the screen. It does nothing to take away from Rivian's own interface and operating system. It is NOT a native OS designed to replace the Rivian system. CarPlay gives the driver a choice to enable things like WAZE or take advantage of using SIRI for hand-free for example, so drivers can easily focus on the road and listen or send text messages (completely hands-free). Rivian will still need to progress their own SW and and provide native infoatainment functionality. Not all Rivian owners use an Apple device or OS. And this is also why Android Auto exists.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts