Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to plug in an emergency at an EA 150kw charger near my house since I forgot to plug it in, and I thought I would have to use my app to activate the charger. But once I plugged in the truck, it just started charging and said it was $0.00 for the session.

There isn't any agreement with EA and Rivian, right? Does anyone know why the charging session was free? It's not my first time using EA. I charged at another EA location near my house recently before doing a trip up to Los Angeles and I had to scan my phone app/digital wallet to get it started.

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, I know they are not generally free but was just making sure there isn’t anything worth Rivian that I wasn’t aware of like how Hyundai has first 30 min free.

Any ideas why my charging session was free? (Not complaining of course!)

· Registered
65 Posts
I had a similar experience on Friday last week (9/29). The charger was only putting out about half the normal charge rate and my battery was below 50% - I figured something wasn't right. So I called EA. They confirmed they'd been randomly comp'ing charge sessions as part of a Plug in America promotion. According to the rep I spoke with she had no way of predicting which chargers or which locations were receiving the free electrons. Enjoy it if you get it.

· Registered
16 Posts
I heard some chargers were having software update issues and coincidentally are free until EA fixes the issue. At least the EA nearest my work in NJ is free at the current moment. The EA closest to my house is not.

· Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
261 Posts
EA is updating something on the backend. All chargers have been free for the last couple weeks. I don't think it is known how long that will be the case.

· Registered
2 Posts
They updated (are updating) the software, which created huge problems, so many sessions are free to avoid the wrath of the users. the user experience sucks, especially if you have ever charged a Tesla.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts