Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Rivian Enthusiasts,
While we occassionally get little stories about someone driving a prototype, or pre-production unit, on a special "adventure," we do not get regular reports on how the work is going on getting our ordered vehicles produced. I understand that Rivian is a private company and that our individual $ 1000 deposits do not amount to the billions of investment dollars provided to Rivian by big money providers, BUT if it was not for the many of us who have agreed that vote in favor of purchasing a vehicle, only Jeff Bezos would be chomping at the bit for delivery of a vehicle from Rivian. And now Jeff does not seem to care so much as he leaves being CEO. But do you not think that Amazon gets regular updates on the production date of its delivery vans? It is no longer years or months till delivery time, it is just weeks! Or not? It would be good for Mr. Scaringe to speak to the concern many of us have, as we all are dealing with the pandemic as well.

·
Registered
861 Posts
You'll get an update on YOUR unit when it's closer to production. I wouldn't expect anything sooner than 3 months out, personally. Could be as late as a few weeks.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Do you have anything about the progress of the factory assembly line completion?
AFAIK, both lines are up and running.

Rivian has been assembling R1T test vehicles on the line, for a while. They are using these for extended road testing, validation of the line processes, and most likely will use some for promotion and experience centers, as they open.

The R1S line also appears to have been recently brought online and RJ has posted pictures of at least one R1S on the line and then completed.

I'm hoping we see an influx of large amounts of information coming in the next few months. It really seems like Rivian is on track (from the little we know) and I'm hoping that this secrecy will soon change to "more information than you can handle".

·
Registered
4 Posts
What are the milestones we expect prior to delivery?

The ones I can think of are:
1. Contacted to schedule test drive/seeing pre-production vehicle in person
2. Actually test driving/seeing vehicle (perhaps this includes a paint board so that you can see all the colors IRL)
3. Release of additional options/details to spec your vehicle (e.g. spare tire cost)
4. Being provided additional information regarding financing, trade-ins, etc.
5. Finalizing order including selecting all options and payment details
6. Additional details on home charging integration/installation
7. Information on Rivian backed/led insurance options
8. Vehicle being built

What am I missing?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AFAIK, both lines are up and running.

Rivian has been assembling R1T test vehicles on the line, for a while. They are using these for extended road testing, validation of the line processes, and most likely will use some for promotion and experience centers, as they open.

The R1S line also appears to have been recently brought online and RJ has posted pictures of at least one R1S on the line and then completed.

I'm hoping we see an influx of large amounts of information coming in the next few months. It really seems like Rivian is on track (from the little we know) and I'm hoping that this secrecy will soon change to "more information than you can handle".
If you have video of any lines running, that would document your surmise. Otherwise, we have seen the still photos of vehicles being assembled sitting on the factory floor. Our comment is to missing info and statements from plant managers about the tooling and robots being all in place to make several dozen vehicles a day. AND the info that BigDLenz is seeking is provided, as well.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If you have video of any lines running, that would document your surmise. Otherwise, we have seen the still photos of vehicles being assembled sitting on the factory floor. Our comment is to missing info and statements from plant managers about the tooling and robots being all in place to make several dozen vehicles a day. AND the info that BigDLenz is seeking is provided, as well.
No video. I've only seen pictures.

The line is not running production, yet, so it's expected to see lots of "people" validating processes, imo.

·
Registered
861 Posts
It’s going to have a lot more manual steps with real people it seems, similar to traditional carmakers.
Whatever they need to do to maintain quality, I'm all for it!

It's cool that Tesla has so much automation... But that only increases my confusion -- why do they have so many quality issues?

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
148 Posts
I have two major milestones in my head with regards to updates: First is when the first batch of launch additions will be delivered, just keep us up to date. Second is when will the non-launch editions (mine) be ready.

If they promise June 2021 for Launch and deliver on time, they can stay as quiet as they want. I don't need a parade for my vehicle just that it be on time with a quality assembly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looking at how much cash they just raised and how they are posting dozens of new jobs all over the country each day, I would anticipate we go from updates that are few and far between to a full on blitz across the country in the next few months.
I also have a cyber truck preorder that I have been considering flipping as it’s a very early reservation and can tell you they aren’t posting anything other than musk saying he will be “lucky” to build one this year.

Just my humble opinion, but I’m happy with what I’ve seen from Rivian so far and I bet the seats and roofs won’t fly off once deliveries start either.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looking at how much cash they just raised and how they are posting dozens of new jobs all over the country each day, I would anticipate we go from updates that are few and far between to a full on blitz across the country in the next few months.
I also have a cyber truck preorder that I have been considering flipping as it’s a very early reservation and can tell you they aren’t posting anything other than musk saying he will be “lucky” to build one this year.

Just my humble opinion, but I’m happy with what I’ve seen from Rivian so far and I bet the seats and roofs won’t fly off once deliveries start either.
Those large funds that have invested billions of dollars are doing their due diligence before these investment rounds and if processes weren’t on track then you would see a lower valuation of Rivian. Looks like they focus more on results than talking about crazy, unachievable goals and then having to push the goalpost back. We have all waited for two years...what’s a few more weeks...

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a guy who waited literally 835 days from the moment I placed a pre-order to the day I took delivery of my Tesla Model 3, I can say that Rivian is giving about the same level of information about their progress towards production launch as Tesla did. Let's just say, it's taught me patience.

I would expect to see/read about more wild sightings, more videos of key milestones met, reports of minor setbacks as robots are added to the lines, occasional quality issues popping up, supply line challenges, etc. as we get closer. Why? Because it is a complex dance to launch a car production line. I'm sure RJ's crew have all focus on getting things set and checked, not minor updates to the fan base - but periodically, we'll see glimpses and posts (like the recent R1S stills).

I'm just hoping we don't hear about "production hell" or employee sabotage, or major quality issues like we did with Tesla.

For now, I'm staying in my zen-like patiently waiting mode.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
249 Posts
Whatever they need to do to maintain quality, I'm all for it!

It's cool that Tesla has so much automation... But that only increases my confusion -- why do they have so many quality issues?
According to Elon Musk in a recent interview, the quality issues of Tesla happens when they are increasing production. The initial cars are fine, and once production reaches a steady state is also fine. But when they are figuring out ways to ramp up production, they messed it up. He mentioned the paint job of the model 3, once they start producing them fast, they realized that they were not giving enough time for the paint to completely dry. But for a couple of months the painting was messed up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
According to Elon Musk in a recent interview, the quality issues of Tesla happens when they are increasing production. The initial cars are fine, and once production reaches a steady state is also fine. But when they are figuring out ways to ramp up production, they messed it up. He mentioned the paint job of the model 3, once they start producing them fast, they realized that they were not giving enough time for the paint to completely dry. But for a couple of months the painting was messed up.
That's because Tesla has been winging it since the beginning. Such an approach works fine until a system is pushed to the limits, which are generally unknown unless there has been testing to find those limits and process is designed with them firmly in mind. Winging it is more fun and short term profitable since you don't "waste" time getting started. Tested and known processes are the long term approach to more profit - well, unless your fanbase will buy anything with your logo on it, as evidenced by the stock price. Eventually winging it bites you in the ass.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
249 Posts
To be fair, it is not all because of fanbase. There is no real competitor for Tesla out there. They are have been really ahead of everyone else so it makes sense some people take the chance with getting an unit with bad painting or something like that. It is a great car otherwise.

I doubt they can keep up with that once real competition kicks in.
That's because Tesla has been winging it since the beginning. Such an approach works fine until a system is pushed to the limits, which are generally unknown unless there has been testing to find those limits and process is designed with them firmly in mind. Winging it is more fun and short term profitable since you don't "waste" time getting started. Tested and known processes are the long term approach to more profit - well, unless your fanbase will buy anything with your logo on it, as evidenced by the stock price. Eventually winging it bites you in the ass.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Not sure I buy that. Every new model they introduce is plagued by issues for at least months.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure I buy that. Every new model they introduce is plagued by issues for at least months.
As a Tesla stockholder and a very long time care guy, I find your remarks very exaggerated. Not even Consumer Reports has found any major problems the past five years with any particular part of the Teslas. What grousing there has been has resulted in very prompt fixes by Tesla. If that was not true, there would be a lot of public reports about problems, but there are not. And sales keep growing. We should hope that Rivian does as well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts