Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
As a Tesla stockholder and a very long time car guy, I find your remarks very exaggerated. Not even Consumer Reports has found any major problems the past five years with any particular part of the Teslas. What grousing there has been has resulted in very prompt fixes by Tesla. If that was not true, there would be a lot of public reports about problems, but there are not. And sales keep growing. We should hope that Rivian does as well.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
135 Posts
As a Tesla stockholder and a very long time care guy, I find your remarks very exaggerated. Not even Consumer Reports has found any major problems the past five years with any particular part of the Teslas. What grousing there has been has resulted in very prompt fixes by Tesla. If that was not true, there would be a lot of public reports about problems, but there are not. And sales keep growing. We should hope that Rivian does as well.
Hasn't Tesla been removed from the consumer reports recommended list due to quality issues, along with the Model Y/3? The quality issues with the Tesla vehicles is well documented outside of these forums.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hasn't Tesla been removed from the consumer reports recommended list due to quality issues, along with the Model Y/3? The quality issues with the Tesla vehicles is well documented outside of these forums.
Yes. Yes they have.

As a Tesla stockholder and a very long time care guy, I find your remarks very exaggerated. Not even Consumer Reports has found any major problems the past five years with any particular part of the Teslas. What grousing there has been has resulted in very prompt fixes by Tesla. If that was not true, there would be a lot of public reports about problems, but there are not. And sales keep growing. We should hope that Rivian does as well.

Shall I go on? Perhaps, as a Tesla shareholder and "believer" you've turned a blind eye to their troubles? Bias is a real thing. Or perhaps you simply have a much higher threshold for what you'll consider acceptable, compared to the average person. Either way, I'm not judging you. But let's be honest and realistic -- Tesla has a long and well-documented quality control problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Was away getting THE shot. Many dogs have been snapping at the heels of Tesla. MEANWHILE, "Ferragu pointed out that Tesla currently has a production capacity of one million vehicles. While Musk said during the Q4 2020 Earnings Call that its growth will exceed 50% in 2021, the analyst thinks that this year they will grow closer to 100% in car production. Given the expansion of production facilities in Giga Shanghai, as well as the start of production in Giga Berlin and Giga Texas, such an assessment seems very realistic."--Tesmanian January 29, 2021
So if the other brands of EV's are better, people should buy them. But they are not.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Was away getting THE shot. Many dogs have been snapping at the heels of Tesla. MEANWHILE, "Ferragu pointed out that Tesla currently has a production capacity of one million vehicles. While Musk said during the Q4 2020 Earnings Call that its growth will exceed 50% in 2021, the analyst thinks that this year they will grow closer to 100% in car production. Given the expansion of production facilities in Giga Shanghai, as well as the start of production in Giga Berlin and Giga Texas, such an assessment seems very realistic."--Tesmanian January 29, 2021
So if the other brands of EV's are better, people should buy them. But they are not.
That's non-responsive to the discussion of quality issues. People are buying Teslas for the superior technology and charging experience, it's just in spite of the quality issues.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Why are you here, then? Clearly you think Tesla is better. Does Tesla not have many forums you could enjoy circle-jerking on?

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
219 Posts
I think you guys are taking it too hard. Both are correct.

Tesla has quality issues. Even Elon Musk admits it: Elon Musk admits Tesla has quality problems

But Teslas are awesome cars. And there is no reason to believe these issues won't be fixed. So yes, it makes sense the stock prices are high. And people buy Teslas despite the risk of getting a bad unity because really, they are better than the competition.

Rivian may be the first real competition for Tesla. Others are trying to enter the market too. But so far, Tesla offers the best EV experience.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
135 Posts
Tesla quality and the product itself are seeing tremendous competition right now. They say a large percentage of Taycan buyers are Tesla owners who are moving on from the brand and that model is now Porsche's highest seller. With Lucid, Rivian, BMW, Audi, VW, Porsche, MB, Ford, GM, etc etc entering the market Tesla is in for a fight. This will come down to several things: quality, luxury, features, price, range.... How will Tesla respond? Everyone has to remember there was BetaMax before VHS, there was HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. I for one would love to see someone snatch up Tesla to take over the batteries for their own vehicles.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Tesla quality and the product itself are seeing tremendous competition right now. They say a large percentage of Taycan buyers are Tesla owners who are moving on from the brand and that model is now Porsche's highest seller. With Lucid, Rivian, BMW, Audi, VW, Porsche, MB, Ford, GM, etc etc entering the market Tesla is in for a fight. This will come down to several things: quality, luxury, features, price, range.... How will Tesla respond? Everyone has to remember there was BetaMax before VHS, there was HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. I for one would love to see someone snatch up Tesla to take over the batteries for their own vehicles.
It only got better for Porsche now with an even cheaper Taycan that rivals the Model S directly on price. No more crazy margin. Of course, there is some compromise but it onlly matters if you do more longer distance driving. VW Group is also going even cheap with an Audi version of the Taycan. It will be revealed on Tuesday!

·
Registered
204 Posts
As a guy who waited literally 835 days from the moment I placed a pre-order to the day I took delivery of my Tesla Model 3, I can say that Rivian is giving about the same level of information about their progress towards production launch as Tesla did. Let's just say, it's taught me patience.

I would expect to see/read about more wild sightings, more videos of key milestones met, reports of minor setbacks as robots are added to the lines, occasional quality issues popping up, supply line challenges, etc. as we get closer. Why? Because it is a complex dance to launch a car production line. I'm sure RJ's crew have all focus on getting things set and checked, not minor updates to the fan base - but periodically, we'll see glimpses and posts (like the recent R1S stills).

I'm just hoping we don't hear about "production hell" or employee sabotage, or major quality issues like we did with Tesla.

For now, I'm staying in my zen-like patiently waiting mode.
Thanks for sharing your experience with Tesla. I DO think it helps bring perspective, especially in the realm of a start-ups. Given that, I don't think I would give it much weight beyond that. First, RJ has said they have watched Tesla closely learning from their mistakes and good decisions. As such my expectations are in line with Rivian where Rivian will do things much better than Tesla. Tesla may have set the bar, but from everything I've seen (in-person), heard (in-person) and read about Rivian, that bar must and will be exceeded, and IMHO includes better communication, which in a very, very short list is one of the areas that, I won't say Rivian is failing at but, could be so much better especially towards their pre-order holders.

In the early days (post reveal, so Nov 2018) it was easier to accept the infrequent communication with a much smaller staff. But since then their capital and employees have multiplied many times over. And, yes, I would expect "RJ's crew" to be very focused on getting the R1's to production, because that's their job, just as it's other groups in the company (communications, PR, marketing, customer service, etc) to be focused on communicating with their pre-order holders. Unfortunately however I get the feeling those new(er) departments may have their hands tied if RJ and his management teams are not giving them any information to report or perhaps disallowing the information, at this point, from being released.

It's been clear, at least to me since the reveal, Rivian likes to play their cards close to the vest. Or some have said they're still operating as if they're still in stealth mode (pre-reveal). Whatever the case, I get it from a competitive stand-point and from a under-promise, over-deliver ethos. But there are ways to still "regularly" communicate with your pre-order holders that maintains competitiveness or whatever else Rivian's motives are. E.g. I recently stumbled across an article that Rivian will be setting up 10 customer experience centers across the US. This wasn't leaked information. Rivian actually provided this information. Why does Rivian think this would not be noteworthy information to their pre-holders? Put it in an email and send it out. (Soical media is find but not everyone uses it. Since an email address is required, you know every pre-order holder will get the info.) They certainly can't claim they don't have the resources, human and financial. Another big unknown is the purchase process similar to what @BigDLenz laid out in post #5.

Rivian simply needs to step up their game with regards to regularly communicate with their pre-order holders. How and when other auto manufactures communicate is much less of an issue. Besides one's home this purchase will more than likely be their next biggest purchase that requires planning along with many other peripheral items - trade-ins, EVSE installs, timing this out, etc. Sorry, if Rivian wants to be better then their competition they need to improve their communication frequency or the rate of canceling pre-orders will increase. Yes, I know first hand this has already started and to be honest I just might be one them very soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fellow Rivian Enthusiasts,
While we occassionally get little stories about someone driving a prototype, or pre-production unit, on a special "adventure," we do not get regular reports on how the work is going on getting our ordered vehicles produced. I understand that Rivian is a private company and that our individual $ 1000 deposits do not amount to the billions of investment dollars provided to Rivian by big money providers, BUT if it was not for the many of us who have agreed that vote in favor of purchasing a vehicle, only Jeff Bezos would be chomping at the bit for delivery of a vehicle from Rivian. And now Jeff does not seem to care so much as he leaves being CEO. But do you not think that Amazon gets regular updates on the production date of its delivery vans? It is no longer years or months till delivery time, it is just weeks! Or not? It would be good for Mr. Scaringe to speak to the concern many of us have, as we all are dealing with the pandemic as well.
No worries about Bezos, his Rivian vehicles are on the roads already, article dated 5 days ago. Who knew?

The first of 100,000 electric trucks Rivian is making for Amazon have taken to the streets of Los Angeles, as the e-commerce giant takes the first steps in a low-carbon overhaul of its delivery fleet. The trucks have been rolled out as part of testing along selected routes, with the company hoping to introduce them in more than a dozen other US cities before the year is out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
No worries about Bezos, his Rivian vehicles are on the roads already, article dated 5 days ago. Who knew?

The first of 100,000 electric trucks Rivian is making for Amazon have taken to the streets of Los Angeles, as the e-commerce giant takes the first steps in a low-carbon overhaul of its delivery fleet. The trucks have been rolled out as part of testing along selected routes, with the company hoping to introduce them in more than a dozen other US cities before the year is out.
This sounds unfair. There are a lot of test vehicles from Rivian out. If anything, we got R1Ts and R1Ss being tested much before the delivery vehicles. Tests have to be performed, what would you expect? That RJ would drive his family around to test the van like he does with the R1T? Of course Amazon will start testing the vans but it is not like they are expecting to get their vehicles much earlier than everybody else.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
135 Posts
Let amazon test the vans, and let Rivian beat the crap out of vehicles every day until deliveries start. The more testing and mileage they get the better the product will be. I would be happy to test one out if they offered (I am offering if they are listening. No seriously I would like to test a R1S)

·
Registered
2017 Chevy BoltEV, 2016 Chevy Volt, 2017 Toyota RAV4
45 Posts
I received an email today about my R1T configuration, wondering if anyone else with a pre-order is getting contacted about finalizing their LE vehicle configuration also? Maybe first step toward the sale and production? Only 3 months out from first projected deliveries...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Awesome! May I ask the content of the email? I didn't get one. Maybe because I have configured the R1S.
I received an email today about my R1T configuration, wondering if anyone else with a pre-order is getting contacted about finalizing their LE vehicle configuration also? Maybe first step toward the sale and production? Only 3 months out from first projected deliveries...

·
Registered
2017 Chevy BoltEV, 2016 Chevy Volt, 2017 Toyota RAV4
45 Posts
I had configured an Adventure Package by mistake while looking at the difference in price for the 400 mile battery, and forgot to switch it back to the Launch Edition before finalizing. I immediately contacted them about how easy it was to make the mistake, so they let me know a couple of days later that I would be allowed to change to R1T LE as intended. But...my configuration didn't change...until now, or at least by 3-3-21 as promised. So, they were contacting me to alert that I am finally going to be able change it back to the LE. But...since they DID send the email yesterday, was thinking could be a sign that they are contacting others with LE pre-orders so they can finalize their production plans and see who is REALLY ready to put up the rest of the money, or drop out to wait for the F150, solid state battery, or maybe change their mind and wait for the 400 mile battery in 2022.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I had configured an Adventure Package by mistake while looking at the difference in price for the 400 mile battery, and forgot to switch it back to the Launch Edition before finalizing. I immediately contacted them about how easy it was to make the mistake, so they let me know a couple of days later that I would be allowed to change to R1T LE as intended. But...my configuration didn't change...until now, or at least by 3-3-21 as promised. So, they were contacting me to alert that I am finally going to be able change it back to the LE. But...since they DID send the email yesterday, was thinking could be a sign that they are contacting others with LE pre-orders so they can finalize their production plans and see who is REALLY ready to put up the rest of the money, or drop out to wait for the F150, solid state battery, or maybe change their mind and wait for the 400 mile battery in 2022.
It was good that you were able to get the switch back accomplished, but by now you have learned that IT WAS NOT A SIGN that they were in the process of finalizing production schedule. Recent announcement used the pandemic as cover for the exact causes of the production delay. Maybe in a year or so the facts will surface and we will learn what pebble jammed up the wheel of progress.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts