Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Got accepted for R1T RIV in California (legacy style plate) and they should arrive in 2-3 months, now just waiting to see which gets delivered first...the truck or the plates!!

View attachment 5672
How did you get a personalized plate in California? I thought you had to have a registered vehicle with existing plates before you could order a personalized plate and/or special plate.

·
Registered
Launch Edition R1T, Canyon Red, BM interior, 22" sport bright wheels
11 Posts
How did you get a personalized plate in California? I thought you had to have a registered vehicle with existing plates before you could order a personalized plate and/or special plate.
I was not able to submit the request online because that required me to provide my existing plate numbers and I was not sure if I would still have that vehicle when the plates arrived, however if you fill out the form from the DMV website for new plates you are not required to provide the existing vehicle information so I was able to submit it before I purchased the R1T or even had a VIN or temp plate tag. You are required to assign the tags to a vehicle when you pick them up, the form gave me the option to pickup at the DMV or a AAA office and by the time the plates came in the R1T had already been delivered and I had my permanent plates on it so I just brought the current plates and swapped them out when I picked up the new ones (AAA was so easy!) and got a new registration card right there on the spot. Had the plates arrived before the truck I would have just waited to pick them up until I had the truck and new plates. It took about 6-7 months from when I submitted the application until the plates came in so if you can get a head start like I did it may help ensure the plates are ready when you are!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts