Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reserved my R1T on June 28, 2022. When I made the reservation, the page indicated a July - August 2023 delivery window, but there's nothing about a window in any emails I've received since.
We also have a Tesla Model 3, and will be trading in a 2021 Subaru Ascent when my R1T arrives.
I appreciate the info I've seen so far, and look forward to experiencing delivery myself ... someday!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

My Rivian guide told me last week that the plan is to send revised delivery window emails out in the Fall. If the past is any guide, that will prove to be a tad optimistic, and Winter is more likely. Either way, you should hear fairly soon. You can always ask Customer Support for updated info; you won't be disappointed if you keep your expectations low.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Reserved my R1T on June 28, 2022. When I made the reservation, the page indicated a July - August 2023 delivery window
That doesn't sound realistic. I'm surprised they are still making gross mistakes in delivery windows like this. Many existing orders still have a 6 month window for 1H2023 or 2H2023 - I can't imagine they can give that precise a production estimate for newly placed orders when they don't really have a handle on all the old orders yet.

The math is that there are more than 98,000 preorders as of 30 June. Some 10,000 vehicles have been delivered. That puts you behind maybe 90,000 other people waiting for their R1T/R1S.

Rivian is probably not going to produce 90,000 vehicles in the next 12 months. They are targeting 25,000 vehicles for 2022, and they look to be on-track to reach that number. While production rate and factory capacity are improving, the supply chain continues to pose problems for everyone. I think you have a chance of getting your vehicle by the end of 2023 if everything works in your favor, and I think you will definitely get it before the end of 2024, but July/August 2023 is IMO unlikely. If it were up to me I would have told you 1H2024 then tried to exceed expectations by delivering it 6 months earlier. Telling you July/August 2023 is setting themselves up for failure and setting you up for disappointment.

Regardless, it's going to be worth the wait ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I read it right, Rivian discontinued the Explore trim package to streamline production with a single configuration. Do you think this might work to accelerate deliveries?
From reading the comments, it sounds like several folks might cancel their orders, rather than pay the extra $5K or so. That might move me up a little too.

·
Registered
463 Posts
As @O. horridus indicates, Rivian appears to be on track to produce 25,000 vehicles by the end of this year. That figure however includes both R1 production (essentially all R1T) and the Amazon vans. While Rivian has not given us a breakdown of the split, a reasonable guess it that it's 15,000 R1's and 10,000 EDV's. Rivian will be aiming much higher for 2023, and if they are lucky, could double production to 50,000 units. Again, the split between R1 and EDV production is not known, but my guess is that it will be similar to that in 2022. Given Rivian's focus on a single configuration, I expect the overwhelming majority of the R1 production to be R1T Adventure LR, with just enough R1S and R1T Max vehicles mixed in for Rivan to claim with a straight face that those models are now "in production."

This is a very long way of saying that I mostly agree with @O. horridus that Rivian has given you an overly optimistic delivery estimate and it's much more likely you will see your R1T in 2024. I think you will benefit from a few folks canceling their order now that the Explore is no longer an option. That still leaves something on the order of 90,000 reservations, of which, if things go right for Rivian, may be down to 50,000 or so at the end of 2023 (ignoring the new orders that will come in). You may get lucky, but as with getting useful info from Rivian Customer Support, you will not be disappointed if you keep your expectations [very] low.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wish I could call it something else, but Rivian Customer Svc is an oxymoron. In my own experience the extent to which canned responses are given makes it very insulting. Elon could very well be using Vivian cs to beta test his robots. you've been given the absolute best advice by the yossarian, go in with low expectations and don't ever expect them to be exceeded.

Way too many engineers in the co.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts