Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Will you use a standard 220 outlet or the Rivian Charger?

• 220 Wall Outlet

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Rivian Charger

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • Third Party Charger

Votes: 19 23.5%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I need more details on the Rivian charger compared to a third-party charger like Juicebox before I’ll decide. I assume I need a charger rather than just an outlet for things like scheduling at off-peak times, but it’s all new to me and not particularly well explained.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I need more details on the Rivian charger compared to a third-party charger like Juicebox before I’ll decide. I assume I need a charger rather than just an outlet for things like scheduling at off-peak times, but it’s all new to me and not particularly well explained.
I expect you can do charge scheduling with the rivian app and the included cable or any evse

·
Registered
825 Posts
Do we know if the Rivian App will operate in such a way that it can message the Rivian to "cut current" (based on schedule or charge level) from other charge stations like the Chargepoint? Does the Chargepoint home system have its own app that will handle this? Just thinking ahead to having multiple apps for management and what would be most streamlined and provide the fastest charge times.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Do we know if the Rivian App will operate in such a way that it can message the Rivian to "cut current" (based on schedule or charge level) from other charge stations like the Chargepoint?
Yes, that's expected functionality.
Does the Chargepoint home system have its own app that will handle this?
Yes, that is something the CP HF offers, as well.

Personally, I think it's better to let Rivian control the charging, that way it can stay grid-connected and rely on that power to run it's computers and battery conditioning.

If you rely on the EVSE to schedule charging, they typically cut the control wire connection to stop charging the EV, and then the EV has to rely on it's own battery to run its systems.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
232 Posts
Yes, that's expected functionality.

Yes, that is something the CP HF offers, as well.

Personally, I think it's better to let Rivian control the charging, that way it can stay grid-connected and rely on that power to run it's computers and battery conditioning.

If you rely on the EVSE to schedule charging, they typically cut the control wire connection to stop charging the EV, and then the EV has to rely on it's own battery to run its systems.
I have the CP HF and leave it powered all the time. For my Bolt, it is recommended to be plugged in when temperatures are below 32F and above 90F, for battery conditioning. In Phoenix in the summer, it runs the cooling fans when parked in the garage with temps above 100F. I have set the car to only charge the battery during off-peak electric rates, but the fan still runs during those hours to keep the battery cool. The off-peak charging in the car is also GPS based, so when I am away from home and plugged in it charges immediately, independent of time of day. I expect Rivian to have these same features that GM has.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed a chargepoint home flex hardwired on a 60amp breaker. It’s charging my wife’s model Y now with an adapter. It’s awesome. I’m Rivian ready!

speed is 11kW @ 48 amps. Close to 50mph on the Tesla.
What will you do to charge both at the same time? I have a Model 3 coming in a month and the Rivian R1S next year. But with a 15yrs old teenager ready to drive, waiting to see the new Subaru SolTerra EV might be a 3rd EV for us.

·
Registered
395 Posts
What will you do to charge both at the same time? I have a Model 3 coming in a month and the Rivian R1S next year. But with a 15yrs old teenager ready to drive, waiting to see the new Subaru SolTerra EV might be a 3rd EV for us.
There are a couple of options you can look at. If you have a large enough service you can run a separate circuit for an additional charger. They also have smart chargers that communicate with each other so they can share one circuit and limit the draw on each charger so it does not overload the circuit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Also keep in mind, you don't need to charge every day. I charge my Tesla X every few days (I don't drive terribly far every day, maybe 30 miles). You can plug in one EV on one day, the other the next, etc...

There are also smart plugs that can act as a pass through and help handle the balancing/switching (won't work on a hardwired clearly).

·
Registered
9 Posts
We don't drive a ton, but we do put on about 30 to 50 miles a day. Most of the time we only have to charge our Model Y once a week. I think most people could get by with one charger and just alternate nights for charging. We have two circuits run because we knew we were getting two EVs, but having the Y since January we now know having 2 circuits is just a matter of convenience.

·
Registered
316 Posts
We're househunting and went to a couple of showings over the weekend. At one of the homes we opened the garage and saw dual chargers to which my wife and I just turned to each other with knowing glances. Rest of the house really didn't work for us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Eversource Electric does not give any rebates or reduced electricity rates for at home charges except for what is listed on their site.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the CP HF and leave it powered all the time. For my Bolt, it is recommended to be plugged in when temperatures are below 32F and above 90F, for battery conditioning. In Phoenix in the summer, it runs the cooling fans when parked in the garage with temps above 100F. I have set the car to only charge the battery during off-peak electric rates, but the fan still runs during those hours to keep the battery cool. The off-peak charging in the car is also GPS based, so when I am away from home and plugged in it charges immediately, independent of time of day. I expect Rivian to have these same features that GM has.
Very similar ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got an email from Rivian about their wall charger. It seems to me that the first company to market with a bidirectional charger will be a massive leader. Right now the Leaf is the only car capable of V2H charging, but no one makes a charger that can do it. And all the CCS-equipped EVs coming to market (Rivian, F150, Porsche, Ioniq/EV6) will be able to eventually, but those on the market now aren't yet able, and neither Wallbox nor any of the auto companies is making one yet. Rivian would do well to get out ahead of this curve.

Then again, while I love what appears to be a weekly email from them, I'd love even more an update on how many vehicles they produced this week...

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are lots of options out there for third party chargers. I have a Clipper Creek unit with two charging cables; it delivers 40A to one vehicle or 20A to two. Due to Time-Of-Use metering, most EVs allow you to schedule charging times from an app or inside the vehicle; the only one I've heard of that can't do this is the Volvo XC40 Recharge.

Two vehicles on the Clipper Creek works just fine; you can schedule one to go first and get the 40A. Most of the time it will be done charging when the second vehicle starts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts