Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Will you use a standard 220 outlet or the Rivian Charger?

• 220 Wall Outlet

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Rivian Charger

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Third Party Charger

Votes: 8 27.6%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I need more details on the Rivian charger compared to a third-party charger like Juicebox before I’ll decide. I assume I need a charger rather than just an outlet for things like scheduling at off-peak times, but it’s all new to me and not particularly well explained.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I need more details on the Rivian charger compared to a third-party charger like Juicebox before I’ll decide. I assume I need a charger rather than just an outlet for things like scheduling at off-peak times, but it’s all new to me and not particularly well explained.
I expect you can do charge scheduling with the rivian app and the included cable or any evse

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed a chargepoint home flex hardwired on a 60amp breaker. It’s charging my wife’s model Y now with an adapter. It’s awesome. I’m Rivian ready!

speed is 11kW @ 48 amps. Close to 50mph on the Tesla.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do we know if the Rivian App will operate in such a way that it can message the Rivian to "cut current" (based on schedule or charge level) from other charge stations like the Chargepoint? Does the Chargepoint home system have its own app that will handle this? Just thinking ahead to having multiple apps for management and what would be most streamlined and provide the fastest charge times.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Do we know if the Rivian App will operate in such a way that it can message the Rivian to "cut current" (based on schedule or charge level) from other charge stations like the Chargepoint?
Yes, that's expected functionality.
Does the Chargepoint home system have its own app that will handle this?
Yes, that is something the CP HF offers, as well.

Personally, I think it's better to let Rivian control the charging, that way it can stay grid-connected and rely on that power to run it's computers and battery conditioning.

If you rely on the EVSE to schedule charging, they typically cut the control wire connection to stop charging the EV, and then the EV has to rely on it's own battery to run its systems.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes, that's expected functionality.

Yes, that is something the CP HF offers, as well.

Personally, I think it's better to let Rivian control the charging, that way it can stay grid-connected and rely on that power to run it's computers and battery conditioning.

If you rely on the EVSE to schedule charging, they typically cut the control wire connection to stop charging the EV, and then the EV has to rely on it's own battery to run its systems.
I have the CP HF and leave it powered all the time. For my Bolt, it is recommended to be plugged in when temperatures are below 32F and above 90F, for battery conditioning. In Phoenix in the summer, it runs the cooling fans when parked in the garage with temps above 100F. I have set the car to only charge the battery during off-peak electric rates, but the fan still runs during those hours to keep the battery cool. The off-peak charging in the car is also GPS based, so when I am away from home and plugged in it charges immediately, independent of time of day. I expect Rivian to have these same features that GM has.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts