Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi **,

Hi from Normal, IL. I’m here at the plant working closely with our team as we continue building more and more vehicles every day. It’s inspiring to see how the entire company is coming together for us to start deliveries – everything from dialing in our production process to ramping up our service network to managing our supply chain. I am happy to report we are on track to begin deliveries in September.

I’ve included a few updates below and a link to a recap and Q&A video from our recent customer drive event at the plant.

Normal Production Plant
Over the last several months we have been focused on not only ramping our production rate, but also dialing in our quality across each of the five areas of our plant: stamping, body, paint, assembly and propulsion (battery and drive units). This challenging process involves multiple build phases – many of the vehicles from these non-customer build phases have been seen out testing across a range of environments during the last year. These validation, tooling tryout and pilot build vehicles are critical for our ongoing mileage accumulation program that has helped us drive refinements to the product. With all of this, I am excited to report we have started producing vehicles that reflect all of our quality iterations and design refinements. We are currently working with various governing agencies on the final approvals needed for us to make the first deliveries to preorder customers in September.

Charging Network
We also remain focused on building out our charging network – this includes our fast DC chargers that are part of our Rivian Adventure Network as well as our Level 2 AC chargers/connectors that are part of our Rivian Waypoints network. Key to delivering on our goal of more than 3,500 DC chargers (at 600 sites) and 10,000 Waypoints is securing a portfolio of great locations for these chargers. You will start to see more of these pop up over the next few months, and by the end of the year the buildout will start expanding quite rapidly.

Service Centers
Rivian Service Centers are now in operation in Brooklyn, NY; Bellevue, WA; Normal, IL; San Francisco and El Segundo, CA. This is just the beginning of our growing Service Center network, which also includes a large fleet of mobile service vans for performing onsite vehicle repairs. We are planning to open over 100 Service Centers by the end of 2023.

Vehicle Purchasing
Our online ordering and transaction process will be ready to complete customer purchases next month. This online process allows us to provide you with a convenient and transparent way to complete your purchase and can be completed in as little as 15 minutes. We’ve spent countless hours refining each step to make the process seamless and efficient. We look forward to your feedback as you use this platform to complete your purchase!

App
We’ve also recently finalized the initial version of the Rivian App for both iOS and Android. The app will be your go-to portal for all things Rivian. In addition to serving as a vehicle key, our app also allows you to monitor charging, manage service appointments and easily contact your Guide. More functionality will roll out with planned updates. The app will be available for download in early September in advance of deliveries.

A couple weeks ago, we were lucky to host some of our earliest preorder holders for drives and a tour of our plant here in Normal. It was a thrill to have future customers drive the R1T for the first time. After taking drives on the track, cooking on the Camp Kitchen, answering questions and getting feedback, our time together finished with a Q&A roundtable where I was able to answer questions directly and offer insight into many aspects of products, business and upcoming plans. You can see a recap of the event and watch a video of the roundtable on our Stories page.
We’re excited to get more of you behind the wheel and begin meeting you on our upcoming drive tour. Thanks for your support, patience and enthusiasm. Our first deliveries are right around the corner!

RJ

·
Registered
103 Posts
There was some interesting information in the round table Q&A video.

V2V & V2H capability with additional equipment is in the works.
Next generation batteries with higher efficiency and lower cost in development.
Discussion about the cameras and radar sensors.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was some interesting information in the round table Q&A video.

V2V & V2H capability with additional equipment is in the works.
Next generation batteries with higher efficiency and lower cost in development.
Discussion about the cameras and radar sensors.
The V2H was totally a surprise to me. Why they don’t advertise more those stuff? Sometimes I feel like they are like “we don’t need more orders”.

Maybe they don't want to announce and then have the pressure to deliver. I don't know.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
Forgive my ignorance please, but what is V2V & V2H??
Vehicle to Vehicle charging and Vehicle to Home backup power where your truck battery could act like a generator if your home loses power.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
Anyone have an idea on what "final approvals" they need before they start deliveries in September?
At a minimum, they will need EPA signoff on the fuel efficiency. Not sure if crash test results also need to be approved or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m curious about the next generation batteries with better efficiency and lower cost. I know battery tech is always improving, but it sort of makes it seem like why shouldn’t I wait a bit if the next version could have better range and be cheaper. Did they talk at all about timeframe on the better batteries?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I’m curious about the next generation batteries with better efficiency and lower cost. I know battery tech is always improving, but it sort of makes it seem like why shouldn’t I wait a bit if the next version could have better range and be cheaper. Did they talk at all about timeframe on the better batteries?
Short answer, especially these days, no matter what you buy something better is right around the corner, at some point you have to jump in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Short answer, especially these days, no matter what you buy something better is right around the corner, at some point you have to jump in.
Yeah, I totally hear you. I’m definitely not going to be the guy waiting on the sidelines for years. But it does bring up a few questions. Like will we be able to swap out battery packs for more efficient ones later on? Maybe Rivian will have some upgrade program every couple of years. I’m hoping they’ll do something like that anyway.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Yeah, I totally hear you. I’m definitely not going to be the guy waiting on the sidelines for years. But it does bring up a few questions. Like will we be able to swap out battery packs for more efficient ones later on? Maybe Rivian will have some upgrade program every couple of years. I’m hoping they’ll do something like that anyway.
No one else does, afaik. I would NOT expect this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does anyone have any comment or insight on the Rivian culture regarding this - specifically the "hackability" the ability for home user to modify the truck, with software or hardware? Tesla took a very closed-system approach, and if Rivian is doing many things opposite of Tesla, I wonder if they will take more of an open ecosystem and community approach?

That would lead to swappable batteries, etc.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Does anyone have any comment or insight on the Rivian culture regarding this - specifically the "hackability" the ability for home user to modify the truck, with software or hardware? Tesla took a very closed-system approach, and if Rivian is doing many things opposite of Tesla, I wonder if they will take more of an open ecosystem and community approach?

That would lead to swappable batteries, etc.
Can't speak to the rest of the platform, but Rivian has said that batteries are NOT meant to be upgradeable.

I would expect everything is closed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.