Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Is there really automatic leveling and if so, how do you activate it? Any screen shots? The only thing I have seen for leveling is a view of the car attitude and whether or not it is level on plane. I do not believe I have not seen any footage of the vehicle self-level. That would be a really excellent use of the air suspension. Normally leveling off-road is achieved through a mix of creative parking and wedges, traction or recovery boards.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Is there really automatic leveling and if so, how do you activate it? Any screen shots? The only thing I have seen for leveling is a view of the car attitude and whether or not it is level on plane. I do not believe I have not seen any footage of the vehicle self-level. That would be a really excellent use of the air suspension. Normally leveling off-road is achieved through a mix of creative parking and wedges, traction or recovery boards.
Rivian has said in some of their photo and interview comments that it has self-leveling for towing and also useful for the bed tent. It's "automatic" so I wouldn't be surprised if you don't have to do anything special. Some pictures have shown a ride-height adjustment in the infotainment screen so you can set one of about 5 different heights.

Edit: this thread has pictures of that page in the infotainment screen:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Understood - I have air suspension and those settings won't do anything for self-leveling of the vehicle or adjusting individual suspension heights by wheel (which is why I asked). I don't think it is a make it or break it feature for overlanders, b/c you are already going to have traction boards and can shim. Even if the instrument display didn't show the vehicles positioning / attitude, it still wouldn't be bad. My point was that the only thing I think I have seen is how the vehicle is sitting (not an auto-level function anywhere). Obviously if the incline or attitude of the vehicle is too far from level, such a feature wouldn't work anyway (as you would run out of suspension travel). Of course most people are seeking out flattish ground for overnighting, so again, not that big of deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree it is not a make or break issue but self leveling or even manual leveling via an interface to the air suspension for each wheel is a very nice thing when setting up camp after a day of off-roading. The Patriot Campers X trailers have this feature and those owners often talk about how convenient it is and how much they love it.

So, does anyone have hard information on this feature from Rivian?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rivian has said in some of their photo and interview comments that it has self-leveling for towing and also useful for the bed tent. It's "automatic" so I wouldn't be surprised if you don't have to do anything special. Some pictures have shown a ride-height adjustment in the infotainment screen so you can set one of about 5 different heights.
Most trucks offer some form of auto/load leveling for trailers or even heavy loads in the back of the truck (especially those using air ride systems). I'd be curious though, if it offers a side to side leveling or just a rear load leveling capability.

I would think it would be a challenge for the truck to level in such a way, but it would be a nice feature, that's for sure.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Most trucks offer some form of auto/load leveling for trailers or even heavy loads in the back of the truck (especially those using air ride systems). I'd be curious though, if it offers a side to side leveling or just a rear load leveling capability.

I would think it would be a challenge for the truck to level in such a way, but it would be a nice feature, that's for sure.
If the air suspension modules can be individually controlled then it's just a matter of having a sensor(s) communicate with the suspension.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I recently asked a guide about leveling mode when parked for use of camp kitchen (water in pots, lol) and tent/sleeping. They indicated that its been asked a few times and while engineering is aware of the suggestion's there currently is no confirmed "level" selection when parked.

As for auto leveling while driving, towing and more I too would think this will be a regular feature since independent control of the air suspension is easy.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Understood - I have air suspension and those settings won't do anything for self-leveling of the vehicle or adjusting individual suspension heights by wheel (which is why I asked). I don't think it is a make it or break it feature for over landers, b/c you are already going to have traction boards and can shim and if you wanna get the best reviews on weather your motor converter is good or bad, you can get the best reviews here. Even if the instrument display didn't show the vehicles positioning / attitude, it still wouldn't be bad. My point was that the only thing I think I have seen is how the vehicle is sitting (not an auto-level function anywhere). Obviously if the incline or attitude of the vehicle is too far from level, such a feature wouldn't work anyway (as you would run out of suspension travel). Of course most people are seeking out flattish ground for overnighting, so again, not that big of deal.
Thanks for your awesome suggesstions

1 - 18 of 18 Posts