Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
That probably depends on what your definition of "autopilot" is. I have the Enhanced Autopilot feature on my Tesla, and it seems like the only difference between this and the Rivian driver assist is the Rivian does not do auto lane changes. I keep this feature turned off, so for my use, the Rivian should give me the same features. However, it's clear that the Rivian system has a long way to go before it works as well/reliably as the Telsa autopilot.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Nothing on the market today is a level 4 autonomy in the market. This would be defined as "auto pilot". Even the vaunted Tesla system is NOT an auto pilot. It is merely a level 3 autonomy with minimal driver interaction needed. So in effect Tesla and Rivian are in the same boat as classified as a level 3.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Nothing on the market today is a level 4 autonomy in the market. This would be defined as "auto pilot". Even the vaunted Tesla system is NOT an auto pilot. It is merely a level 3 autonomy with minimal driver interaction needed. So in effect Tesla and Rivian are in the same boat as classified as a level 3.
Autopilot is only Level 2.

Driver+ is also Level 2.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never tried a tesla so I don't know but I have a mustang mach e where I can go hands free on some roads. My husband has Rivian and he can't do that. This is what im asking if rivian will be able to do that in the future

·
Registered
81 Posts
Driver+ is most like Ford Blue Cruise or GM SuperCruise in its intent and implementation. That is to say that it is intended to allow hands free driving on "select roads" that they have pre-mapped or that meet specific criteria, and it includes a driver attention monitor.

So yes, in theory Driver+ should be able to operate like Blue Cruise once they have mapped the same roads and rolled out required updates.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We need better cameras for level 3-5. I was talking to someone last week who is working on the Rivian detection software and they are planning to upgrade the cameras to 8(?) megapixel next year, which is needed for higher levels of autonomous driving. Hopefully these will be free upgrades, if that is actually the plan. He said that we currently have 1 megapixel cameras, but I have no way to confirm this :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
That probably depends on what your definition of "autopilot" is. I have the Enhanced Autopilot feature on my Tesla, and it seems like the only difference between this and the Rivian driver assist is the Rivian does not do auto lane changes. I keep this feature turned off, so for my use, the Rivian should give me the same features. However, it's clear that the Rivian system has a long way to go before it works as well/reliably as the Telsa autopilot.
I too have EAP - Huge difference between the two: In driver assist mode Rivian locks out user functionality ie. can't change height, which IMO is opposite of way should be (let the computer monitor the road while you takes eyes off to change height); Rivian cannot handle merges and exits; Rivian only works on limited highways that have been "scanned"; Rivian will not change lanes; Rivian phantom brakes WAY more than any other lane keep assist Ive used to the point that it's dangerous...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Huge difference between the two: In driver assist mode Rivian locks out user functionality ie. can't change height, which IMO is opposite of way should be (let the computer monitor the road while you takes eyes off to change height); Rivian cannot handle merges and exits; Rivian only works on limited highways that have been "scanned"; Rivian will not change lanes; Rivian phantom brakes WAY more than any other lane keep assist Ive used to the point that it's dangerous.
Thanks for the additional color on this. Phantom braking is a real problem, and makes driving way more stressful. But 4 years ago the phantom braking on the Telsa system was much worse than now, so I'm hopeful they will dedicate resources to software improvements the way Tesla has. The "scanned" requirement for Driver+ puzzles me though, has anyone heard an explanation of why they need this? GPS positioning is not precise enough to use for lane keeping, so what other data is in these scanned maps that the truck needs for simple lane keeping functions?

·
Registered
81 Posts
It may be that the approved roads are not scanned so much as that they are scored. That is to say, they meet certain dimensional criteria (lane width, shoulder size, turn radius, etc.) or have lane markings that meet a certain threshold, etc.

The scanning can also be things like positions of overpasses, etc. so that the software recognizes things that might otherwise confuse it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
"Monitors the environment" in this context means who has the primary responsibility for paying attention. In a level 3 system you could take your eyes off the road and do something else, not so in a level 2 system like Rivian's which uses a camera to ensure you are paying attention to the road.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts