Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My R1T is coming this week, hopefully! In NJ we have to have front plates but I really don't want to drill holes into the R1T and my buddy who just got his truck said he didn't see holes/markings for it up front on his truck.

Any creative ideas? Anybody use this company: Custom License Plates - Adhesive license plate replica ?? If so, how does it look on your truck? Doesn't look like the front end is flat enough for it.

Any other solutions actually available?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My R1T is coming this week, hopefully! In NJ we have to have front plates but I really don't want to drill holes into the R1T and my buddy who just got his truck said he didn't see holes/markings for it up front on his truck.

Any creative ideas? Anybody use this company: Custom License Plates - Adhesive license plate replica ?? If so, how does it look on your truck? Doesn't look like the front end is flat enough for it.

Any other solutions actually available?
Got my R1T yesterday, and it has a front license plate bracket in the frunk. Unfortunately, it looks like you have to screw it onto the front bumper. I'll need to figure out something as well because CO requires the front plates as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got my R1T yesterday, and it has a front license plate bracket in the frunk. Unfortunately, it looks like you have to screw it onto the front bumper. I'll need to figure out something as well because CO requires the front plates as well.
I took delivery yesterday in Texas. I asked about the front plate and confirmed that there is a mount in the frunk. First Mile delivery folks said Rivian will install the mount if you want it, so I'm having them do it since we have a two-plate law as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A front plate is required in Canada as well.

As an earlier poster “iansriv” noted this is an option I’m considering. Won’t be great for serious off-roading but worth the trade off to not drill holes in the bumper.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I took delivery yesterday in Texas. I asked about the front plate and confirmed that there is a mount in the frunk. First Mile delivery folks said Rivian will install the mount if you want it, so I'm having them do it since we have a two-plate law as well.
How did this go? I'm also in TX and expecting my R1S in 2-3 weeks. I don't like the idea of drilling into the front bumper as in a few years we may move to a state that only requires rear plates.

·
Registered
90 Posts
How did this go? I'm also in TX and expecting my R1S in 2-3 weeks. I don't like the idea of drilling into the front bumper as in a few years we may move to a state that only requires rear plates.
It hasn't happened yet; but the bracket was included in the frunk. I don't know if it will involve drilling into the bumper or not but I'll ask when Service comes out to fix some other issues found at Delivery. You might want to consider the after-market option listed in WeTheNorth's post above though in case drilling is the only OEM solution offered.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here in CALI it is legal to have the adhesive plate. They print an identical plate in vinyl and stick it on for you. Any car wrap place can do it and some are more specialized. You can also order online and apply it yourself since it's pretty small and easy to do. Here's a site that does it.
Nice, thanks! I hadn't heard of this before, it sounds like a great solution. It looks like that place only does CA plates, but I found this one that will do any state: Custom License Plates - Adhesive license plate replica

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm pretty certain that these adhesive LPs might be illegal in a lot of places...and definitely wouldn't qualify as a front LP in most states that require two plates. CA may be an exception, but I don't think it would work in Texas...so caveat emptor!

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are required to have a front license plate in CA but enforcement is basically non-existent unless you’re street parking in certain cities. I’ve been driving my model 3 for 3.5 years without a front plate and never had an issue. Take a look around and you’ll see most CA Teslas don’t have a front plate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think I'm going to try to find or make an adapter that will attach a front plate mount to one of the tow hooks. I found some that clamp on to a tubular bumper, maybe something similar that clamps on to a tow hook could work. If it clamps around both sides and through the hole in the hook it should stay attached and in place, just would need to keep the right tool in the vehicle for removing it in case the tow hook actually needs to be used. Probably won't help efficiency, but with the Rivian the difference shouldn't be noticeable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts