Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, a week into my new R1T and loving it so far. One key use of the truck will be to transport Mtn Bikes to ride areas. To outfit I installed Ride88 (referenced on this forum) bed-mount rack’s - which are great.

To use the tailgate needs to be down…and with that goes any-use of the backup camera located over the license plate. The cab has a bed-facing camera that I was hoping could be used when backing up to at least see if there are any sudden obstructions when reversing, but this camera does not seem accessible to configure this use. I assume the camera is only for grear-guard usage.

Has any one else exlored this with any suggestions? With all the cameras on this truck it seems amazing that only one can be used as a back-up and only when tailgate is up.

Thought?

· Registered
1,687 Posts
I've suggested to my guide that this could be improved. I think they should offer a "split-view" when the tailgate is down. They know where the tailgate cuts into the bottom camera view, but there is still value in what it does show... So I think they should show the useful portion, then crop the part that is blocked by the tailgate and show the camera in the spoiler over that area.

· Registered
R1T Launch Edition
76 Posts
Folks, a week into my new R1T and loving it so far. One key use of the truck will be to transport Mtn Bikes to ride areas. To outfit I installed Ride88 (referenced on this forum) bed-mount rack’s - which are great.

To use the tailgate needs to be down…and with that goes any-use of the backup camera located over the license plate. The cab has a bed-facing camera that I was hoping could be used when backing up to at least see if there are any sudden obstructions when reversing, but this camera does not seem accessible to configure this use. I assume the camera is only for grear-guard usage.

Has any one else exlored this with any suggestions? With all the cameras on this truck it seems amazing that only one can be used as a back-up and only when tailgate is up.

Thought?
I think GM (RAM?) put a camera (and proximity sensors?) in the top of the tailgate (for a 2023 model year) so there's a back-up view with the gate open.
The Rivian has a camera to view from above the bed, but the code to make it accessible isn't done so at present I think it works only for gear guard.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think GM (RAM?) put a camera (and proximity sensors?) in the top of the tailgate (for a 2023 model year) so there's a back-up view with the gate open.
The Rivian has a camera to view from above the bed, but the code to make it accessible isn't done so at present I think it works only for gear guard.
Agreed. Seems a relatively easy solution to enable the camera above above the bed (on cab) with a software update. Hopefully we’ll see this someday

· Registered
658 Posts
Speaking of cameras. I noticed that when you have the Gear Guard video capture system enabled, when you go to review your videos now, each video shows the location of the camera on the truck that recorded that particular video. That is kinda a neat software update. It helps paint the picture when you see three different angled videos of the same motion around the truck.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Speaking of cameras. I noticed that when you have the Gear Guard video capture system enabled, when you go to review your videos now, each video shows the location of the camera on the truck that recorded that particular video. That is kinda a neat software update. It helps paint the picture when you see three different angled videos of the same motion around the truck.
Do you mean on the right hand side of the screen with a yellow camera icon overlayed on a silhouette of the R1T? That isn't new. It's done that for months.

· Registered
658 Posts
Do you mean on the right hand side of the screen with a yellow camera icon overlayed on a silhouette of the R1T? That isn't new. It's done that for months.
Yes, but prior to the last OTA update, that was never showing on my videos. Hence my confusion why there were so many videos shown on the screen and little to no movement around the truck. 🤔

· Registered
R1T Launch Edition
76 Posts
Seems like such an easy software task to take all the videos and stitch them together in a 360º view. Even basic security cameras can trace the outline of movement with a green line, etc. Seems like Rivian has Tesla's "not invented here" aversion to using any third party tech in their stack. : )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts