Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Did your original delivery date get changed after you signed your initial pre-order agreement?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pre-order was 11/2019. First we all got the email about pricing going up. Then they backtracked because the stock tanked. That was the first bait and switch (not counting original delivery window at time of pre-order).
Like everyone else, just before Thanksgiving 2021 I got an email stating delivery window was May/June 2022.

Rivian guide call and purchase agreement signed on May 12, 2022. Was told at that time that my configuration was not subject to further delays and could expect delivery within the previously stated timeframe.l if May/June 2022.
Texted guide earlier this week to confirm delivery for this month and was told truck is in production and absolutely should be delivered this month.
Tonight (Saturday Jume 11th, 2022) I received the following email from Rivian:

Thank you for your preorder and your commitment to helping us create a more sustainable world. As we continue to assess our supply chain and build plans, we want to provide an update on your estimated delivery window.

Your Launch Edition R1T estimated delivery window is August - September 2022

Your delivery window estimate is based on your preorder date, delivery location and current configuration. Here’s why your window has shifted:
  1. Supply chain
    As we’ve continued to navigate a tight supply chain, we’ve had to reduce complexity wherever possible, including prioritizing certain build combinations over others.
  2. Service Infrastructure
    We continue to prioritize deliveries in locations where service infrastructure is in place so that we can provide the full ownership experience to Rivian owners from day one.
We’re grateful for your continued support and will continue to keep you updated. Your preorder is a vote for finding better ways of doing things on a planet that needs all of us to innovate for the future. If you have any questions, please reach outto us.

Thank you again for being on this journey with us.

I keep getting more upset every time I see that someone that ordered a Rivian after me, especially post Launch pre-orders are already driving their trucks while I get screwed yet again! I ordered launch green with forest green interior and black 22” wheels which I was told a month ago was not an issue and in stock. Now there are supply chain issues after being told this week my truck was in production??? How in the world is Rivian this terrible at forecasting delivery timeframes? Last month and this week I was told that delivery would be by the end of this month if not sooner; now they add 2-3 months? And after signing my pre-order agreement??? This is theft by deception in any court of law at a minimum. I have a better shot at cashing out in a pyramid scheme than taking deliver of my truck this year! What a complete sucker punch yet again from Rivian. This is the part in the Bugs Bunny cartoon when he turns into a jackass! Us earlier adopters are the jackasses! Thanks RJ!!!! Can’t wait to hear from Rivian in September that my delivery gets delayed again!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
I had my truck within 3 weeks of signing PBA. May-June window, delivered May 24.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Would not call it bait and switch. The supply issues are real and even more of an issue for smaller start ups like Rivian. The proximity to service seems like a fair criteria also. It's a startup with a complex product. Having something go wrong (and we've seen and should expect a fair number of these) and then not having good local support is also a fair issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would not call it bait and switch. The supply issues are real and even more of an issue for smaller start ups like Rivian. The proximity to service seems like a fair criteria also. It's a startup with a complex product. Having something go wrong (and we've seen and should expect a fair number of these) and then not having good local support is also a fair issue.
I completely get that as I am in construction with the same challenges with supply issues. However, to be contacted by my guide and told that there are not issues with my configuration AND confirming that we are still on target for delivery by the end of June. Or sooner seems safe to assume this would happen. Add the fact that I was told this week by the same guide that my truck was in production and still on target for delivery this month; then a few days later get the email pushing it back 2-3 months is incredibly poor management or bait and switch.

I see R1T’s almost everyday on the roads in my area so the service excuse in my case is BS. I also don’t know many small start-up’s that have been in business for 10 years with billions invested from the likes of Amazon and Ford that also went public. Rivian is not Bollinger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had my truck within 3 weeks of signing PBA. May-June window, delivered May 24.
That’s the same timeframe that was given to me when I signed the PBA. Signed May 12th, now delayed until Aug/Sep. no guarantee with that timeframe either so who knows? Looking like it will end up being over 3 years from initial order and counting until I get the truck. Sad to say that the excitement has now turned into anger and frustration.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I keep getting more upset every time I see that someone that ordered a Rivian after me, especially post Launch pre-orders are already driving their trucks while I get screwed yet again!
Calm down. I just saw on Reddit that some people who already have their R1T also received the email. I bet your delivery is still on schedule.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That’s the same timeframe that was given to me when I signed the PBA. Signed May 12th, now delayed until Aug/Sep. no guarantee with that timeframe either so who knows? Looking like it will end up being over 3 years from initial order and counting until I get the truck. Sad to say that the excitement has now turned into anger and frustration.
Curious, where are you located? I am in Portland Oregon and our Service Center is still a shell waiting for build out to complete but they are delivering trucks... last time I was at the delivery center (not the service center) they said they had delivered around 80 in PDX area. I do not have mine but my reservation was not till Summer '21

·
Registered
481 Posts
incredibly poor management or bait and switch.
Rivian is not selling you a low cost product and then saying you have to buy a different and more expensive product. They are just putting back delivery of the product you ordered.

You ascribe bad motives and incompetence when every company has the same issues. The chips (pick an item) show up, not as many as ordered, or they had a higher failure rate or are needed to be replaced in vehicles on the road and next batch is a month out, two months with port congestion. Sold vehicles come first so take more from production in anticipation of the service issue.

In normal times, patience is always part of new product coming to market.

Having introduced you to a delivery person, it would have been better to deliver the bad news via the delivery person vs. a broadcast email. Rivian is creating a "buddy system" and then flipping to a "Do I know you?" tack in the middle of the process.

·
Registered
516 Posts
West coast likely has the most service resources and for PDX, Seattle.
  1. San Francisco Bay Area, CA
  2. Seattle, WA
  3. San Diego, CA
  4. Austin, TX
  5. Honolulu, HI
  6. Los Angeles, CA
  7. Portland, OR
  8. Detroit, MI
  9. Washington, DC
  10. Boston, MA
What's the source of that list? It seems weird, probably not normalized for population. Bay Area is 7 million people, with I-don't-know several service centers? Honolulu probably only has one service center for 1M people. So how is it that LA is below Honolulu? I dunno, this ranking smells rank.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Here's the current list

1 - 13 of 13 Posts