Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
New here and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with using a Tesla Destination charger

My wife and I do driving trips through Baja,MX. Just got back from our most recent. I did some looking around and there is a decently laid out network of the Tesla slower charging stations.

Cost: I asked at a hotel about cost and was told that charging was Free. Found that a little suspect and wondered if the guy at the front desk knew what he was talking about.

Adaptability: I’ve seen some adapters online that look like you can AC charge a Rivian at a Tesla destination charging station. This true?

Speed: I’m sure it will be pretty slow. Looking at information I found on various chargers along the way 18kwwas max. Anybody know the rate of charge with that level of output?

Thanks.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've used a destination charger on my I-Pace with my TeslaTap multiple times, though not in Mexico. As the name implies, a "destination" charger is for when you spend the night (or several hours otherwise) at your destination. Yes they're free.

On the I-Pace I only get about 6.6 kW into the battery (due to losses), as the current is limited to 32 amps. If that's the case with the Rivian you'd maybe get 50-60% with an overnight charge. I don't know the maximum current you could get with the Rivian on a destination charger, but it's not going to be above 10kW going into the battery. So, overnight is pretty much the only useful scenario.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,
New here and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with using a Tesla Destination charger

My wife and I do driving trips through Baja,MX. Just got back from our most recent. I did some looking around and there is a decently laid out network of the Tesla slower charging stations.

Cost: I asked at a hotel about cost and was told that charging was Free. Found that a little suspect and wondered if the guy at the front desk knew what he was talking about.

Adaptability: I’ve seen some adapters online that look like you can AC charge a Rivian at a Tesla destination charging station. This true?

Speed: I’m sure it will be pretty slow. Looking at information I found on various chargers along the way 18kwwas max. Anybody know the rate of charge with that level of output?

Thanks.
18 KW should give you ~45 mph charging rate.

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. Helps me understand a little better. Definitely going to make me consider my options more though. We do long days behind the wheel and being able to drive 200-300 miles in a day isn’t ideal.

I've used a destination charger on my I-Pace with my TeslaTap multiple times, though not in Mexico. As the name implies, a "destination" charger is for when you spend the night (or several hours otherwise) at your destination. Yes they're free.

On the I-Pace I only get about 6.6 kW into the battery (due to losses), as the current is limited to 32 amps. If that's the case with the Rivian you'd maybe get 50-60% with an overnight charge. I don't know the maximum current you could get with the Rivian on a destination charger, but it's not going to be above 10kW going into the battery. So, overnight is pretty much the only useful scenario.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts