Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
We all know and Rivian has made no secret of the fact they eventually want to manufacture their own cells, so it's not surprising Samsung didn't want Rivian snooping around their plant spying taking notes, etc...
Yeah, that's the CCP and to lesser degree, South Korea and Taiwan's gig.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yeah, that's the CCP and to lesser degree, South Korea and Taiwan's gig.
Just consider how much Rivian has lifted from.. er.. been inspired by Tesla right down to the center screen GUI.

I'm fairly confident as a current Tesla owner that I could climb in a R1T and drive it away and operate it with hardly any relearning required.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just consider how much Rivian has lifted from.. er.. been inspired by Tesla right down to the center screen GUI.

I'm fairly confident as a current Tesla owner that I could climb in a R1T and drive it away and operate it with hardly any relearning required.
I don't think so, as much as you can get in any car and drive it I guess. I have a Model S and I went to the Rivian event here at Sonoma raceway and it's going to take a lot of learning to get used to the location of options and features on the screens and menus etc, like most any new car within reason.

IP and the protection of it is a funny thing. Like Google, having to remove the ability to change the volume on more than one home speaker at a time because someone else has a patent on that sounds crazy. Having a patent on the HMI being in the center of the vehicle or the rear view mirror being at the top middle of the windshield seems crazy but I wouldn't put it past any company to try to patent it and then start suing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You're implying that Tesla is the originator of the center screen GUI? Not to be argumentative but here's a pic of an '86 Riviera T-Type I used to own...with a center screen GUI. Yes it's certainly crude by today's standards but it was a center screen, with touch screen capability, GUI.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

·
Registered
R1S Adventure ordered 10/27/2021), Red, Large battery (want Max, tho)
87 Posts
You're implying that Tesla is the originator of the center screen GUI? Not to be argumentative but here's a pic of an '86 Riviera T-Type I used to own...with a center screen GUI. Yes it's certainly crude by today's standards but it was a center screen, with touch screen capability, GUI.
This is like arguing whether Apple invented the mouse & GUI computer.

They didn't, but they made a version that was much better and appealed to the masses.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I interpreted their post to mean the UI elements and look/feel are Tesla-esque. This is not surprising, considering Rivian employs many former-Tesla software engineers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I interpreted their post to mean the UI elements and look/feel are Tesla-esque. This is not surprising, considering Rivian employs many former-Tesla software engineers.
But as HMIs or GUIs go, it doesn't really have the same everything or look and feel. It's just a progression like anything else. Tesla's interface isn't anything super incredible and revolutionary they're just one of or the first ones to put a big display in the middle and use graphics and layouts like a lot of other large displays with a lot of the layouts and elements that computers, tablets and phones have been using for some time.

Overall I like the one in my Model S but a lot of times, I just wish there was a real button or switch and especially a dial for something. I don't think there's anything to do with the fact that they have people that used to work for Tesla, it's more so that they have people that make HMIs / GUIs. Not quite the same as someone like Samsung having internal emails stating to copy the Apple iPhone but not too closely and having housings, screens and layouts that look almost exactly the same down to the rounded edges on the icons.

Not that I'm an Apple fan. Like a lot of companies, it's just a bunch of, right place and right time and then in Steve Jobs case, meeting the right people and screwing them over at the right time and stealing from them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts