Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just ordered my R1S. I was limited to the large pack (300+ miles range) battery. I'd like to know once the max pack (400+ miles range) battery is available, can I upgrade the battery in my R1s SUV?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh wow. That sucks. For 400 mile range, it's not worth trading from a 300 mile range battery. But for 500 miles and up, it starts to make sense.
Schmee150 posted the best single video I've seen on battery management and charging strategy a few weeks ago. Well worth the watch IMHO as he clearly outlines that Max Range isn't how you should think on road at least. Off road, different story! Hope.this helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Schmee150 posted the best single video I've seen on battery management and charging strategy a few weeks ago. Well worth the watch IMHO as he clearly outlines that Max Range isn't how you should think on road at least. Off road, different story! Hope.this helps.

Thank you 🙏. I will definitely check it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm happy with the large pack. 400 plus range is very nice, but 300 mile range is the minimum I would go for and the current R1S available satisfies that requirement. Thanks 👍.
Rivian customer service told me Max option for R1S would be available to choose before deliveries begin … guessing around the expected big announcement from Rivian scheduled for Jan 2020.
I am definitely going to pick that for my R1S booked in summer 2021

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rivian customer service told me Max option for R1S would be available to choose before deliveries begin … guessing around the expected big announcement from Rivian scheduled for Jan 2020.
I am definitely going to pick that for my R1S booked in summer 2021
Oh, I didn't know that. That's awesome! I'm definitely with you on picking the max option if it becomes available for us. Can't wait for the announcement in January. Thanks 😊👍.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh, I didn't know that. That's awesome! I'm definitely with you on picking the max option if it becomes available for us. Can't wait for the announcement in January. Thanks 😊👍.
Yes, you'll just need to update your config once the option is available, which I've been told should be around the time first R1S deliveries get scheduled; it won't change your place in line. The current price for the max pack battery in the R1T is $10K and I'd expect it to be about the same on the R1S, unless it's significantly smaller capacity, but they haven't announced pricing and we can hope it goes down before deliveries (though probably not if supply is constrained). Since changing the initially announced specs they haven't said if the larger battery on the R1S will be as large as the max pack battery on the R1T or if it's still anticipated to provide 400+ miles of range.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, you'll just need to update your config once the option is available, which I've been told should be around the time first R1S deliveries get scheduled; it won't change your place in line. The current price for the max pack battery in the R1T is $10K and I'd expect it to be about the same on the R1S, unless it's significantly smaller capacity, but they haven't announced pricing and we can hope it goes down before deliveries (though probably not if supply is constrained). Since changing the initially announced specs they haven't said if the larger battery on the R1S will be as large as the max pack battery on the R1T or if it's still anticipated to provide 400+ miles of range.
Thanks for the info, my friend. To pay a potential $10K extra, I would have to have at least a 400+ mile range battery, otherwise, the extra money will not be worth it for me.

·
Registered
202? R1S Adventure
31 Posts
Hi all. I just ordered my R1S. I was limited to the large pack (300+ miles range) battery. I'd like to know once the max pack (400+ miles range) battery is available, can I upgrade the battery in my R1s SUV?
I just pre-ordered my R1S as well. As others have said, ALWAYS buy the largest battery that you can. I have owned a Kia Soul EV+ for about five years. Here is my experience with an EV which is the same as other EV owners that I have spoken with. Being an engineer, I have be a bit anal retentive about tracking the statistics of my EV's range over time.

First of all my goal is not to convince anybody not to purchase and EV. I am just sharing my lessons learned over five years of owning an EV. I am very much looking forward to receiving my R1S when it is available. I just want to point out some of the facts that influence the battery size that you purchase for your Rivan if the choice becomes available to us.

Analysis below if you are interested. Enjoy your R1S!!!

• From what I have read, Rivian's batteries are no different than anybody else's with the exclusion of the new GM Ultium batteries. Rivian's battery management software probably equal to or potentially better than Tesla and the software will be improved with time. In my experience battery management will help with the range, but not much. When my Soul software was updated, it helped with the accuracy of estimated range, but did not increase the actual mileage. I still used the same percentage of the battery during my daily commute.

• All EVs to date only achieve the rated mileage at 35 - 40 miles per hour in moderately warm temperatures, on a flat road without many stops. Rivian reports that their range is unaffected by temperature. I will believe that when when I get mine and can prove it! :cool:

• Maximum range is usually only achieved with the HVAC and all other accessories turned off. My Soul's original summer range off the lot was 113 miles with AC off and 93 with AC on. 5 years later in the height of the summer is 78 miles. The dealer says the battery is at 93% of it's original charge level. EV+ has the battery heating and cooling option so range would be worse without the heat and cooling for the batteries.

• With this data I figure that driving in the Pacific Northwest winter are freeway speeds of 60-70 mph, I will get around 230 miles max on a charge. Add five years to those figures and it will be down to a bit over 200 miles with the 314 mile battery. I could be wrong, but my purchasing decision was based on those figures.

• Remember that you will probably never be able to drive 314 miles because at 315 miles you will be sitting at the side of the road with no juice.

• There are very few public Level 3 DC fast chargers available in 2021. The vast majority of public chargers are only Level 2 which will only add 25 miles per hour of range to your Rivian. Also, bear in mind that listed public chargers are not always operational when you arrive to top off your Rivian. I have had to sit for a couple of hours on a level 2 charger to make it to the next Level 3 charger.

• I suggest before choosing your battery size, check current public charger availability apps to see if there are level 3 chargers located along your usual longer distance routes. It is rumored that there only about 1/3 of the chargers planned for Rivian's charging network across the country will be level 3.

I am very hopeful that Rivian will come out with a 400 mile range battery for the R1S when mine is being built!

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Great info on upgrading. Which Rivian model and trim are you getting?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just pre-ordered my R1S as well. As others have said, ALWAYS buy the largest battery that you can. I have owned a Kia Soul EV+ for about five years. Here is my experience with an EV which is the same as other EV owners that I have spoken with. Being an engineer, I have be a bit anal retentive about tracking the statistics of my EV's range over time.

First of all my goal is not to convince anybody not to purchase and EV. I am just sharing my lessons learned over five years of owning an EV. I am very much looking forward to receiving my R1S when it is available. I just want to point out some of the facts that influence the battery size that you purchase for your Rivan if the choice becomes available to us.

• From what I have read, Rivian's batteries are no different than anybody else's with the exclusion of the new GM Ultium batteries. Rivian's battery management software probably equal to or potentially better than Tesla and the software will be improved with time. In my experience battery management will help with the range, but not much. When my Soul software was updated, it helped with the accuracy of estimated range, but did not increase the actual mileage. I still used the same percentage of the battery during my daily commute.

• All EVs to date only achieve the rated mileage at 35 - 40 miles per hour in moderately warm temperatures, on a flat road without many stops. Rivian reports that their range is unaffected by temperature. I will believe that when when I get mine and can prove it! :cool:

• Maximum range is usually only achieved with the HVAC and all other accessories turned off. My Soul's original summer range off the lot was 113 miles with AC off and 93 with AC on. 5 years later in the height of the summer is 78 miles. The dealer says the battery is at 93% of it's original charge level. EV+ has the battery heating and cooling option so range would be worse without the heat and cooling for the batteries.

• With this data I figure that driving in the Pacific Northwest winter are freeway speeds of 60-70 mph, I will get around 230 miles max on a charge. Add five years to those figures and it will be down to a bit over 200 miles with the 314 mile battery. I could be wrong, but my purchasing decision was based on those figures.

• Remember that you will probably never be able to drive 314 miles because at 315 miles you will be sitting at the side of the road with no juice.

• There are very few public Level 3 DC fast chargers available in 2021. The vast majority of public chargers are only Level 2 which will only add 25 miles per hour of range to your Rivian. Also, bear in mind that listed public chargers are not always operational when you arrive to top off your Rivian. I have had to sit for a couple of hours on a level 2 charger to make it to the next Level 3 charger.

• I suggest before choosing your battery size, check current public charger availability apps to see if there are level 3 chargers located along your usual longer distance routes. It is rumored that there only about 1/3 of the chargers planned for Rivian's charging network across the country will be level 3.

I am very hopeful that Rivian will come out with a 400 mile range battery for the R1S when mine is being built!
Hi my friend. Very informative and realistic assessment. Thank you! In my area there are a lot of Tesla public charging stations. I wonder if Rivian will have a charging adapter so that I can use Tesla's charging station with my Rivian. I already own a Tesla model 3, so I'm already in the Tesla ecosystem.

·
Registered
504 Posts
...Rivian reports that their range is unaffected by temperature. I will believe that when when I get mine and can prove it! :cool:
Brother Jake...
I've never seen them mention their range is unaffected by environmental temps?

In the R1T manual it states:

"Be aware of the following factors that may reduce range:
Excessive speed
Aggressive acceleration
Extreme temperatures
Steep hill climbs
High wind conditions
Towing and cargo
Off-road drives and Off-Road drive mode
Driving habits
Road quality
Heating and cooing the cabin
Charging accessories like phones or laptops"

Just like all EV's... if you pre-condition while still plugged in you transfer most of the load to utility supply saving most of the battery for driving. I drove my Bolt for three NY winters... worst case cold weather range loss was about 40%. That was driving during a snow storm, into the wind, full heat on the windshield to keep it clear, lights on, wipers on, rear defrost on, driving through snow/slop, etc....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi my friend. Very informative and realistic assessment. Thank you! In my area there are a lot of Tesla public charging stations. I wonder if Rivian will have a charging adapter so that I can use Tesla's charging station with my Rivian. I already own a Tesla model 3, so I'm already in the Tesla ecosystem.
I believe that Tesla will open up their chargers, if doing so will allow Tesla to use government's charging infrastructure be used. Perhaps after the bill is passed we will get more definite answers to your question.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts

Wow, awesome write-up...very informative! What part of the PNW you in? I'm in Spokane.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I believe that Tesla will open up their chargers, if doing so will allow Tesla to use government's charging infrastructure be used. Perhaps after the bill is passed we will get more definite answers to your question.
That would only make sense. It's kind of like being able to carry your phone number from one network to another (like from AT&T to Verizon for example). A driver can have a single charging account that he or she can use in Tesla charging network or a Rivian charging network.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
That would only make sense. It's kind of like being able to carry your phone number from one network to another (like from AT&T to Verizon for example). A driver can have a single charging account that he or she can use in Tesla charging network or a Rivian charging network.
All speculation has been that you’ll still need to register an account with Tesla and use their app. So I don’t think we’ll see SSO for charging, even if they open the network to allow non-Tesla vehicles to plug in.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.