Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody I want to order the R1S but it says standard 450+ km per charge what battery pack is that. They used to say 135 and 180 I don't understand.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi everybody I want to order the R1S but it says standard 450+ km per charge what battery pack is that. They used to say 135 and 180 I don't understand.
135KWh: large pack --> 300+ miles (482+ Km)
180KWh: max pack --> 400+ miles (643+ Km)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Does anybody have an idea of when the 180 pal will be coming so we can order

·
Registered
136 Posts
My plans for the R1S include towing a teardrop camper over longer distances and to more remote areas, so the added range of 180kWh battery, aka the Max pack, is essential. It was not available when I configured my pre-order last week, but I assumed that it would be offered at some point before delivery. I contacted customer service about availability and cost - here is their reply:

"I certainly understand your battery concern. The R1S will initially be available with our Large Pack, 300+ mile range. While there are plans to offer future R1S battery packs, there is no set production date or cost. If you like, you may keep the preorder and wait for future R1S announcements. This will allow earlier access to any future models."

This is terribly disappointing news. Not does it mean that the Max pack is not available to those of us who pre-ordered the R1S, it also doesn't provide any idea of when it will even be an option. The reluctance of Rivian to provide more detailed information on cost and availability would seem to indicate some type of problem, either a technical issue with fitting or cooling the larger battery pack, or perhaps a supply issue.

It's clear that the Max battery pack will not be available on the R1S for the foreseeable future. Reading between the lines, it may mean that it will not be offered until the factory has filled its pre-orders, all of which will be with the Large (135kWh) pack. That would seem to preclude an R1S with the Max pack before 2023.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My plans for the R1S include towing a teardrop camper over longer distances and to more remote areas, so the added range of 180kWh battery, aka the Max pack, is essential. It was not available when I configured my pre-order last week, but I assumed that it would be offered at some point before delivery. I contacted customer service about availability and cost - here is their reply:

"I certainly understand your battery concern. The R1S will initially be available with our Large Pack, 300+ mile range. While there are plans to offer future R1S battery packs, there is no set production date or cost. If you like, you may keep the preorder and wait for future R1S announcements. This will allow earlier access to any future models."

This is terribly disappointing news. Not does it mean that the Max pack is not available to those of us who pre-ordered the R1S, it also doesn't provide any idea of when it will even be an option. The reluctance of Rivian to provide more detailed information on cost and availability would seem to indicate some type of problem, either a technical issue with fitting or cooling the larger battery pack, or perhaps a supply issue.

It's clear that the Max battery pack will not be available on the R1S for the foreseeable future. Reading between the lines, it may mean that it will not be offered until the factory has filled its pre-orders, all of which will be with the Large (135kWh) pack. That would seem to preclude an R1S with the Max pack before 2023.
Did Rivian reply to your email (in a separate thread you had listed some questions you asked them)? Curious if they directly answered any of your questions. Thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Did Rivian reply to your email (in a separate thread you had listed some questions you asked them)? Curious if they directly answered any of your questions. Thanks.
Yes they did reply; no they did not answer all of the questions. Short answer is that the Max package will be announced in January 2022. I posted a more compete response in a thread called "Max Battery Package."

·
Registered
16 Posts

Rivian has been advertising 400 miles of range for several years now. All of a sudden 400 miles isn't available? I feel like it's a Bait & Switch situation. Hold off buying a truck that you might need based on XXXX specifications (like 400 miles of range) and then tell you it's not available. I'm very disappointed and I feel betrayed!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts