Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
We just did a trip to Tahoe from Half Moon Bay, and while I did stop at both the REI in Sac and the Truckee RAN, the total energy consumed (3 ppl, dog, lots of stuff, inc. large dog crate in the bed) was just under 100kWh HMB -> Truckee.

Truck was in All Purpose HMB -> San Mateo, Conserve from San Mateo to Auburn, then All Purpose from Ikeda’s in Auburn up to Truckee. Average speed up the hill was >70.

FYI for my family, we like to stop and get out to move around every couple of hours. All of us apparently have tiny bladders, including the dog, so it’s no sweat to pop off for 15 minutes to add electrons and remove liquids. Lets me keep the max charge to 85% (or really even 70%) without range anxiety. But you could do this nonstop from 100% with plenty to spare. 85% would be close but doable. 70% and you’re going to need to dial back the speed.

On the way home, we left Incline Village with 85%, came down at about a million mph (easily 80 mph average) in AP mode, got home with plenty to spare.

HMB -> Incline Village: approx 2.2 mi/kWh
Incline Village -> HMB: measured 3.08 mi/kwh

· Registered
R1T Launch Edition
75 Posts
It's "easy" (if you drive below 75 mph) from Silicon Valley to Olympic Valley on a warm, dry day.
In traffic, in rain or snow, I'd say it's impossible and I'd recommend stopping in Auburn and grabbing as much as the vehicle will absorb above about 100 kW or 50-60% SoC.
I wasted a lot of time/distance at low mi/kWh by driving with the flow of traffic from SF to Sac (between 75 and 85 mph) …
I slowed down to 65-70 for the climb from Auburn to the the summit. I'd normally drive that climb with the fastest traffic, about 75-85.
I had the R1T in Conserve. It was heavily loaded with home renovation supplies and tools.
Regen from the top down to Truckee was pretty trivial, but again, I wasn't trying to "hyper-mile" or otherwise optimize.
When I got to "Palisades Tahoe" … ugh … does that name not roll off the tongue … I was on fumes.
I wouldn't worry about running out because there are several CCS charging sites (not very fast, but enough to recoup a few miles to eke out the electrons and make it to Truckee where there's at least three spots to chug some joules.)

Most importantly, don't ignore the range estimate. I had the Nav pointed at Olympic Valley and it got to the point of saying "insufficient" so I changed it to Truckee and had 20+ miles (not in the "red") which was a bit inconsistent because it's not 20 miles from Truckee to Olympic Valley. I kept flipping the Nav destination between those two targets to watch their calculations change. As I got close to the summit, I saw I had "plenty" so I started to burn some extra fuel, letting it get down 10 miles' to spare at Truckee. The downhill made that number uptick but only maybe 5 miles and I put most of that down to recalcs based on the increasing mi/kWh, not actually regen'd kWh in the battery.

I've seem some youtubers report reserve range after reaching 0%. I've not been below about 5% normally, but arriving at a known destination in good weather with 2% was still basically 6 miles' range before testing the reserve capacity. I'll be taking a 2kWh solar battery "generator" and a stack of panels as a home backup unit for the ski cabin, which will give me a chance to run down to 0% and test the reserve range on my R1T.

· Registered
13 Posts
I have driven from the East Bay to Tahoe City multiple times. Always in Conserve mode and between 70-75mph the whole way. First time was loaded up with tools, gear and people. Stopped at the EA charger in Truckee with about 45 miles of range left. Now that the RAN in Truckee is open it will be nice to charge up for free. If it were snowing I would have charged up in Sac at the RAN or hit the EA in Auburn before heading over the hill. Driving in All Purpose is going to eat the battery between Auburn and Truckee.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts