Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2014 BMX X5 diesel
35 Posts
We're waiting for an Audi e-tron in the next few weeks and an R1S next year. I need to get on the horse about a charger...

Forgive my ignorance but I'm checking Google and also want to ask smarter people than me. I have a 220 outlet in our garage for it, and it's on a double breaker labeled 50 on each. I think that means it's 50 amp, and that I should be good to get an L2 charger installed in my garage. Am I missing something?

· Registered
2014 BMX X5 diesel
35 Posts
You would get up to 40amp charing at 9kw if I am not mistaken. For max at 48amp/11.3kw, you'd need 60 amp breaker with 6 guage wires. Obviously, if you are okay with the 40/9kw, then nothing to do..

Other than that, you are mostly set.
Thanks! Very much appreciated. Looks like the Audi's acceptance rate is only 9.6 kw. The Rivian will accept higher but I think I'm fine.

· Registered
2014 BMX X5 diesel
35 Posts
You should be OK - that's a "double pole" breaker, so although it does look like it has 2 "50" labels, the breaker switch is joined and it's a single 50-amp circuit.

The remaining question would be what receptacle is installed in the garage. Chances are it's a 14-50 (will have 4 holes), which will work with many EVSEs. If it's something a little less common like a 6-50 (will have 3 holes) you may need to look a little harder for an EVSE that will plug into it.

As @toshee noted you will be able to pull 40 amps continuous over a 50 amp circuit.
Appreciate the response. My outlet is below. Should handle the 50 amp per what I read online. TBH, I was a little nervous about the responses I was going to get, like I had loads of work to do to get a charger in, but I think I'm good. I live in Portland and the city requires a permit to upgrade electrical. Based on what I'm reading, I don't think I need a permit as I'm already set on the electrical output. Really to purchase and install.

Sorry for hijacking the thread...

Circle Auto part Font Electronics accessory Metal

· Registered
2014 BMX X5 diesel
35 Posts
"Technically" the city will want to inspect and permit that install but functionally it is likely the installer will just come do it (assuming your panel is relatively modern 200amp service) and move on (as my installer did and they are a fairly well known Solar/Electrical installer in the PDX area)
Actually called PBOT and was directed to a city senior electrical inspector. As long as we're not doing any electrical work and just installing the charger, we don't need a permit. Our house is new construction in SE and we added the circuit added when the house was built.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts