Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
I put my 50 amp line on a dedicated meter and if I charge at non-peak times (which I almost always do) I get about a 50% discount on my electric rate (12 cents vs 23 cents per kWh).
I assume this is available in markets other than mine (Detroit area).

· Registered
52 Posts
Search on U-Tube for "State of charge" Tom Moloughney, He has a u-tube channel all about charging and owns a Rivian R1T. He has about 10 +different chargers in his garage and constantly tests new ones when they come out.

· Registered
40 Posts
I have a NEMA 14-50 and the rivian wall charger (on separate circuits before anyone comments). The wall charger gives me 22 mph and the 14-50 gives 14 mph with the included cable. If you don't want to spend the $750+ install on the wall charger and are OK with the slower charging. I would suggest that. Both work well. FYI, I have a tesla hooked up to the 14-50.

· Registered
17 Posts
Not sure what your criteria are for best.
Are you just looking for a basic charger or do you want some features like some remote connection with your phone?
I bought a Slumberger EV charger through Home Depot back in 2011 for my Nissan Leaf. I still use that charger today for my Tesla and plan to use it for the Rivian. There's really nothing to a charger. There's some handshaking electronics and a big contactor to energize the cable.

· Registered
9 Posts
I am getting my Rivian and want to know if I should go with their charger or is there a better 3rd party unit on the market. Happy to hardwire. I have a 60 amp circuit already wired waiting. I will be charging a tesla also and who knows what in the future. Thanks
I really see no reason to buy any third party chargers. I have the Rivian 48A wall charger installed and we have a second 32A Siemens that I purchased for another EV that we've since sold. Now we charge our R1T and Tesla Y using these 2 chargers. We are always adjusting the charge rate and schedule based on available home battery and solar resource and utility peak/off-peak times, and it's great that both Rivian and Tesla allows you to set up charge schedule and adjust charging speed. Tesla lets you do everything from the mobile app while Rivian only allows you to set charge limit and start/stop from the app, while you would need to change charging speed from the vehicle.

· Registered
4 Posts
I like my Rivian charger. Getting 23 miles per hr (11 KW) reliably. I also like the sloped top which allows me to wrap the cord around and it stays put nicely. It’s my only charger experience, but it’s been solid for a few months.

· Registered
4 Posts
While all of this is great info, check out a problem discussed by Sandy Munro Live
Don't go cheap & untested. A regular Nema 14-50 receptacle is made for use for an oven or dryer running for an hour or two, not continuously for 10 or more hours at a time. Meltdowns can occur. See below....

image.png

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
3 Posts
+1 for the Chargepoint Flex - super happy with it.
When I bought it, I used it with my 14-50 outlet with a 50amp breaker for 40amp charge. Eventually, I had it hard-wired with a 60amp breaker for 48amp charge, which is the max AC charge for Rivian. Charging speeds/breaker size is software set and the transition to wired was zero drama. Through the app you can set up schedules and reminders to plug in as well as it gives estimates of charging costs based on your electric company's plan. The unit is small with good cable and connector management, and the charging cable/connector is user replaceable.
While it is not the lowest-cost unit, I think it has value.

· Registered
3 Posts
I am getting my Rivian and want to know if I should go with their charger or is there a better 3rd party unit on the market. Happy to hardwire. I have a 60 amp circuit already wired waiting. I will be charging a tesla also and who knows what in the future. Thanks
Do your own, we own a Polestar 2 and a Rivian RT1 and we put our own socket in from our box with store bought Pipe cable circuit and outlet, we had an electrician install it in 15 mins and it cost total of $320 and all items from Home Depot, no issues for 7 months and the cars software will control power and times automatically. The Rivian is fantastic and enjoy the wonder of this great truck.

· Registered
3 Posts
.....So no, the Tesla Mobile Connector is not the extremely great bargain you make it out to be. It is one solution, and it's not a bad solution, but it is most certainly not the cheapest solution and probably not the best solution for the OP unless there are other considerations that weren't mentioned.
If you have access to a professional crimper you can change the Tesla plug on the Mobile Connector to a 32A J1772 plug. A suitable J1772 plug can be purchased for $50.

· Registered
14 Posts
Hello everyone, I’ve read through a lot of these posts and there are some valid points and a lot of good electrical information.

But to our answer the initial question of which charger to buy, given the information that you’re looking at getting a second EV.

I would seriously look at the wallbox units as far as I know, and I’m in the energy industry it is the only current EV charging unit that you can install multiple chargers in parallel with one another. simply meaning you can have two units to charge two cars and share 1 breaker.

They are designed to share the amperage if two cars are plugged in and then When one is finished it will push all the amperage back to the other. This leaves you the ability to have two charging units and only use one breaker which could save you from having to spend thousands of dollars on a main panel upgrade when in most cases you would have to add a 2nd breaker for the 2nd charging unit.

It is a sleek unit streamlined, cost-effective and easy to install.

For those who want to really get more bang for your buck shortly after the first of the year you should have access to the quasar unit which is a bidirectional unit. It will retail for about $4000,

This unit will allow you to use your car as a battery to power your home in case of a grid outage. Only after Rivian sends out an OTA to allow it. The hardware has already been built into every vehicle, making it capable of this.

· Registered
14 Posts
OK going to put this in a second time because it didn’t seem like my last one posted

After reading through a lot of the responses, there’s some good information in here some not so good information and a lot of solid, electrical advice

But if I’m looking to answer the original question about which wall charger to use for your EV vehicle based on your description and the fact that you’re looking at getting a second IV I would seriously consider looking at wallbox as your first option.

as far as I know, well boxes, the only EV charging unit on the market, and I am in the industry that offers the ability to put two charging units in line with one another. What that basically means is that they are running in parallel and sharing one breaker. This allows you to charge two vehicles off of one breaker, and they have the intelligence to throttle the amperage between two vehicles, sharing one breaker and pushing power back to one vehicle when the other one is done charging.

The benefits of this is that it can save some people thousands of dollars by avoiding the need to do a main panel upgrade to add a second breaker to accommodate the second charger

For those who are extravagant and want the best of the best at some point in Q1 they will be releasing their quasar unit which is a bidirectional unit a retail cost of about $4000

all Rivians are already built with the hardware capable of doing bi directional. It’s just a matter of them opening up the software through an OTA. This would allow you to use your 130KWH vehicle battery as a back up for your home in case of a power outage

· Registered
2 Posts
I went with the Rivian charger due to the price point for a 48 amp wifi charger. Works well uses the Rivian app to see the charging logs. My only complaint would be the charge cord is very bulky, almost double the size of a charge point charger which was my second choice. CP charger is about 40% high in cost than the Rivian unit. Hope that helps.

· Registered
3 Posts
....as far as I know, well boxes, the only EV charging unit on the market, and I am in the industry that offers the ability to put two charging units in line with one another. What that basically means is that they are running in parallel and sharing one breaker. This allows you to charge two vehicles off of one breaker, and they have the intelligence to throttle the amperage between two vehicles, sharing one breaker and pushing power back to one vehicle when the other one is done charging.

The benefits of this is that it can save some people thousands of dollars by avoiding the need to do a main panel upgrade to add a second breaker to accommodate the second charger

For those who are extravagant and want the best of the best at some point in Q1 they will be releasing their quasar unit which is a bidirectional unit a retail cost of about $4000

all Rivians are already built with the hardware capable of doing bi directional. It’s just a matter of them opening up the software through an OTA. This would allow you to use your 130KWH vehicle battery as a back up for your home in case of a power outage
The Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector with J1772 lets you connect multiple units off of one circuit. The Tesla Gen 2 charger (with Tesla plug) allowed up to four units. I think the Tesla Gen 3 EVSE can support up to 16 units on one 60 Amp circuit. At $550 the Tesla Gen 3 EVSE is an economical and elegant solution.

· Registered
9 Posts
If you only have one connection, you might want to get chargers that can share the line: i.e., charge both vehicles at 50% max. When one vehicle is done, the other gets the full load. Wallbox and JuiceBox do this. You may also want to check out the State of Charge channel on YouTube. The host has a lot of reviews on chargers.

· Registered
9 Posts
If you only have one connection, you might want to get chargers that can share the line: i.e., charge both vehicles at 50% max. When one vehicle is done, the other gets the full load. Wallbox and JuiceBox does this. You may also want to check out the State of Charge channel on YouTube. The host has a lot of reviews on chargers.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts