Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting somewhat close to taking delivery of our Day1 R1S reservation.

It is currently configured for the 22“ Sport bright wheels with the stock 275 / 50 / R22 Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Seasons.

We live in the SF Bay Area but have a place near South Lake Tahoe and go skiing quite a bit in the winter so we’re driving 50/88/89 in many a winter storm. On our current Explorer we run winter rims/tires (Nokians) from November to mid April.

I suspect, especially with the extra weight of the R1S we’re going to want to do the same. The Pirelli Scorpion Zero’s are technically marked as M+S and therefore will qualify to not need chains but my guess is we’re going to want something better like we do now on the Explorer.

Rivian does offer a 20” wheel we like with the 275 / 65 / R20 Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus. I don’t know anything about this tire but it is an AT tire and should theoretically be better for winter conditions and is three mountain peak rated.

Is this a decent winter setup? Of course I don’t need/want a true all time winter tire as the R1S will still be on pavement a lot during the weeks in the Bay Area and even on clear trips up to Tahoe and I don’t want to wear through the tires too quickly on the pavement.

I was thinking about putting Nokians on the R1S but in talking with our guide they REALLY pushed that any tires/rims had to be specifically calibrated and put on/taken off by Rivian (which is another huge turnoff vs just going to America’s tire or the like for the Winter/Spring wheel swaps).

So is there truth to the swaps only at Rivian on the R1S? Do I need more than the Pirelli ATs? Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Brian

· Premium Member
330 Posts
Hey @brianp6621, part of the reason why wheels/tires specifically calibrated for Rivians is recommended is likely due to how range is impacted. You'll want to consider if the trade off of potentially lower range is worth it with some other wheel/tire set.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm not concerned at all on the range aspect, I simply want the best tires suited for the type of driving we're doing. Safety in bad conditions is far more important than range.

I know lots of R1T people are already running other tires/rims so I was surprised at how adamant our guide was about wheel/tire changes only being done by Rivian.
I'm also curious if people have any direct comparisons or experience in good snow conditions on the 2 tires offered by Rivian in my post.

· Registered
2022 R1T no spare, no tonneau, El Cap, dark 22's
78 Posts
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

My R1T came with the 22's and Scorpions. After the first snow in upstate NY I got some 20 x9
Wheel Pros Beast wheels and Nokian 275 65 20's. They will be my go-to winter tires whenever I need some for my other vehicles. I am guessing the wheel / tire sizes are the same for the S and T. There was a detailed write up about the amazon links for sensors and a programmer and the instructions and results were flawless. There is a nice center cap and they do clean up (its not a scratch on the wheel, but dirt) . Got hub centric spacers fro US Wheel adapters. Very happy with the set up. By the way, if you go this route, spray the valve stems or find black ones before installation.

Ray

· Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
261 Posts
View attachment 9723

My R1T came with the 22's and Scorpions. After the first snow in upstate NY I got some 20 x9
Wheel Pros Beast wheels and Nokian 275 65 20's. They will be my go-to winter tires whenever I need some for my other vehicles. I am guessing the wheel / tire sizes are the same for the S and T. There was a detailed write up about the amazon links for sensors and a programmer and the instructions and results were flawless. There is a nice center cap and they do clean up (its not a scratch on the wheel, but dirt) . Got hub centric spacers fro US Wheel adapters. Very happy with the set up. By the way, if you go this route, spray the valve stems or find black ones before installation.

Ray
That's a pretty cool looking wheel. I really like the color. Post more pictures when you get them installed.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
View attachment 9723

Ray
Awesome thanks, Do you happen to have the link to the writeup?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts