Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If not a Rivian, what else would you get that comes close enough? The new Land Rover Defender Hybrid, BMW X5 PHEV and Mercedes GLE PHEV seem like great options to me, in that order. Curious to know what everyone would consider getting.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
There aren’t any compelling electric SUVs, that I can think of. There are zero electric trucks.

Looking at what may come in the next few years, I think Rivian has a winner in both the truck and SUV. The Hummer truck looks amazing, imo (I have a reservation). The Hummer SUV is less interesting, to me. However, once GM puts their electric tech into a Tahoe/Yukon I think that’ll be a real winner.

I didn’t reserve A F150 Lightning on the basis that I liked the Rivian more and my experience with Ford has not been good, in the past. However, I use my moonroof a LOT and today I was riding around enjoying the openness and it is making me second guess whether I’d be happy with a fixed glass roof (stupid decision by Rivian, imo). Maybe I should reserve a F150 just to hedge my bets? I’d be so far down on the list that it’d be years before I could get a delivery, however.

For hybrid SUVs, I like the Volvo XC90 T8/Recharge.

I have decided I won’t buy another non-hybrid/electric vehicle. Otherwise, I really like the Mercedes GLE. The Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade are not bad.

For hybrid trucks, there is only one: Ford F150. I tried to test drive one, but there is zero inventory in my area.

For non-hybrid trucks, I’ve had the best ownership experience with GMC and I like their exterior styling, but their interiors are not competitive, at this time. RAM has the best interior, hands down, but the rest of the truck I’m not so sure.

I’m intrigued to see what Toyota does with the Tundra for 2022…. They’re so far behind the competition it’s a disgrace. If they don’t come out of the gate with a best-in-class offering with a HYBRID powertrain, then they should be ashamed of themselves.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If not a Rivian, what else would you get that comes close enough? The new Land Rover Defender Hybrid, BMW X5 PHEV and Mercedes GLE PHEV seem like great options to me, in that order. Curious to know what everyone would consider getting.
Ford F150 Lightning, Ford Mustang Mach-E, Volvo XC40-Recharge(available now), VW ID.4, and so on..... much prefer a truck but could make an SUV work if needed. I want EV and not interested in Hybrid unless the Hybrid is plug in and has 75 or more miles of battery only (makes local travel EV only, but nothing like that exists)

I will wait for long as possible for the R1T(by far my number 1 pick) but I am not optimistic my 400+ R1T will be ready before 2023-24.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ford F150 Lightning, Ford Mustang Mach-E, Volvo XC40-Recharge(available now), VW ID.4, and so on..... much prefer a truck but could make an SUV work if needed. I want EV and not interested in Hybrid unless the Hybrid is plug in and has 75 or more miles of battery only (makes local travel EV only, but nothing like that exists)

I will wait for long as possible for the R1T(by far my number 1 pick) but I am not optimistic my 400+ R1T will be ready before 2023-24.
Have a Mach-E and love it. I would have no issue buying any Ford electric at this point (well, I already did...lol). Buying Ford stock, as well. What was 5 is now 15, will be 50+. The Lightning will be a home run and it's off to the races...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Lots of apples and oranges in here. Just nothing that really fills the adventure vehicle niche the way Rivian does, at least for me. If the new Bronco 4 door Badlands were available as electric, maybe. Maybe a redesigned electric Jeep Gladiator, possibly if Toyota lengthened the FJ and made it electric or came through with an electric Tundra TRD or Redesigned Tacoma. The other hybrid and electric cross overs were designed as cars (not trucks), for the purposes I want to see. Rivian nailed it, now they just need to deliver.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Could be I suppose. Electric 4Runner with a removable top over the back seats would be pretty sweet. Toyota just feels behind on electric right now.
They absolutely are. Toyota had such a commanding lead in the 90's and early 00's and they seem to have completely squandered it. Why they didn't take their experience with the Prius and adapt it across more of their lineup absolutely baffles me. A hybrid Tacoma would be huge. Instead, Toyota has let their designs languish. AFAIK, they have the oldest fleet of any manufacturer. The most out-dated tech. The absolute worst fuel economy for trucks. It's a disgrace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.