Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure there have been multiple posts over the last year but rather than search it is just easier to ask. I have received my 8 step purchase email and had a question on tires. My plan is to go with the 21" road tires for range (I don't do much off-roading) and just purchase dedicated snow tires locally for winter change over rather than order the A/T's from Rivian. I live in Central Oregon where the freeze/thaw cycle can make the roads extremely slick with hard packed glazy snow -in addition to nothing being flat.
Does this sound reasonable? What have others done?

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the stock 21s and 20s. Both are fantastic. The 21s were great in all season but the 20s with AT really perform.quite well this winter.
Just to be clear, you purchased an extra set of wheels/tires from Rivian? That is certainly an option for me. After doing some checking, I am really surprised about the lack of snow tires available for the 21" wheels. Much better availability for the 20 & 22". Maybe that changes in the future.

· Registered
38 Posts
Just to be clear, you purchased an extra set of wheels/tires from Rivian? That is certainly an option for me. After doing some checking, I am really surprised about the lack of snow tires available for the 21" wheels. Much better availability for the 20 & 22". Maybe that changes in the future.
Yes. 21s and 20s direct from Rivian. I would place both tires in the excellent category. Handle road, dirt, mud, snow very well.

· Registered
38 Posts
One more questions. Who did the wheel/tire change over or did you do it yourself?
Appreciate your input.

AJ the local mobile service guy. He is great. Met me at my shop and made the switch. I asked Rivian if I could just get the weeks and do it myself. They said no. The primary reason is they change some settings on the computer. I think it would be great if there were "buttons" you can tap when you change wheels. No need to have service come out and charge 5 tines as much for a tire change than Costco.

· Registered
93 Posts
No need to have service come out and charge 5 tines as much for a tire change than Costco.
Have you been quoted a price for swapping the 20’s back to 21’s and changing the vehicle configuration when summer rolls around? When AJ installed my 20’s he hadn’t heard if there would be any cost to switch back, at least until he gets really busy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts