Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone has thoughts on what trailer hitch might work best for the R1T

I have used just a simple Curt 2" without any offset for towing 17 foot boat with my Honda Ridgeline.

I have the all terrain tires on the 20" tires and know that suspension height will also play a role.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
406 Posts
For a
Boat whatever hitch is rated to the appropriate weight and have a drop that levels out the trailer. Measure the younger height of the trailer level then go to a trailer/truck shop with the Rivian and measure the receiver to ground. You’ll be good.

if you are staking camper hitch much more complex with a weight distribution hitch and auto leveling suspension.

·
Registered
R1T Launch Edition
35 Posts
Curious if anyone has thoughts on what trailer hitch might work best for the R1T

I have used just a simple Curt 2" without any offset for towing 17 foot boat with my Honda Ridgeline.

I have the all terrain tires on the 20" tires and know that suspension height will also play a role.

Thoughts?
Measure the distance from the hitch pin (that holds the hitch in the receiver) to the outside of the number plate. It's about 41/2 inches.
It's a little bit more recessed on the R1T than most vehicles, so you'll want to choose a "shank" length to clear the vehicle body to your preference.
I like it as close to the vehicle as possible (for strength and to reduce leverage of the tongue weight, to reduce combined overall vehicle length, and even to keep the trailer closer for a little aero.)
I chose Weigh Safe because it has a built-in tongue load scale (very handy for towing different loads without a lot of futzing around.)
Font Rectangle Parallel Fixture Circle

The four inch drop suits the R1T. I chose the "keyed alike" kit and can say it's a top shelf product (with a top shelf price) and fits the R1T like a glove (very close to the number plate.)
If you want an inch longer shank, you'd have to contact them to see what they offer.
I bought this one long before the R1T for another pickup I use for all kinds of towing and it just happens to fit the R1T perfectly for my purposes.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very helpful… looks like they also make a 180 with two hitch ball mounts and no gauge. Doubt I’ll push the load.

Sounds like you’ve already towed with your. Mine is coming next weekend. Want to have the requisite supplies to get the boat in and out. But while I’m at it, thoughts on best adapter for connecting the trailer lights?

·
Registered
R1T Launch Edition
35 Posts
Very helpful… looks like they also make a 180 with two hitch ball mounts and no gauge. Doubt I’ll push the load.

Sounds like you’ve already towed with your. Mine is coming next weekend. Want to have the requisite supplies to get the boat in and out. But while I’m at it, thoughts on best adapter for connecting the trailer lights?
I haven't towed, just started to get set up using "hand me downs" from my other pickup. There's decent towing videos on youtube by Out of Spec, TFL (they sell one particular hitch brand, so ignore that, but they do show the connection and setup) and Ford itself.

I haven't found anyone who has gone into detail on rear axle sag (tricky given air suspension, but it can be done) or front - rear axle load (which you can get at a CAT scale) or load / weight distributing hitch and sway control. OoS did demonstrate the brake connection, set up and check correctly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
According to the Weigh Safe website the 2” receiver is either class III or IV, but the Rivian website says their 2” receiver is Class V.

Rivian

The R1T and R1S both come standard with an integrated 2” Class V receiver that is located behind a removable cover on the rear of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
According to the Weigh Safe website the 2” receiver is either class III or IV, but the Rivian website says their 2” receiver is Class V.
You can use a Class III/IV hitch in a Class V receiver as long as you're towing within the limits of the lowest-rated component.

Class III goes up to 8,000 lbs, and Class IV goes up to 10,000 lbs, afaik (although individual products may be rated lower -- so always verify what your specific products are rated for!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.