Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing so far that’s surprised me in just over one day of ownership is the R1T’s turning circle. For a vehicle that sized between, say a Tacoma and a Tundra (I’ve owned both) it sure seems to have a wide turning circle at the steering wheel locks.

Turning while driving isn’t bad, but trying to make a tight circle in my driveway, or make a tight U-turn around say a highway divider requires a lot of space.

Is this just me and/or my truck or do I just not understand because it’s A Rivian Thing(tm)?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not much different than the F150 I used to have...not quite as good as the Ridgeline I also used to have...that said, the 360 surround camera view of the truck makes up for a great deal when dealing with tight spaces...

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
Agree. But I’m comparing it to a 4Runner which is a much smaller truck. I’m sure I’ll get used to it eventually since I’ve owned several full sized pickups and Yukon XL’s in the past.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think it's that they don't want to have to provide free service and towing to all the numnuts who are going to try to use tank turn on pavement. The vast majority of these vehicles, like all other pickups and SUVs on the market, are not going to be used off-road. Cool feature, but just not worth it to Rivian. IMO.

·
Registered
935 Posts
100% agree. They are going to be dealing with all sorts of issues with that feature enabled on pavement, and if Rivian geo-fences it's use to "off-road" only, that creates a whole new set of challenges.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts