Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anyone else got that email?

When I entered my name and email, indicating agreement, I got no acknowledgment and instead just the same terms and conditions page.

How did it go for others?
I signed it and was taken to a "Thank you" page and given the option to download a copy. People on another forum found that a pop-up blocker might stop you from getting past the signing page.

·
Registered
R1T
29 Posts
Yep, received the email, agreed/signed. Once I clicked 'I Agree', I was then presented with an electronic copy (PDF) of the agreement terms to download.

Nice of Rivian to extend this offer.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Update: I repeated the signing by clicking on the button in the email, and this second time I did get the "Thank you" page and opportunity to download the PDF. I'm thinking sciencegeek and I signed before the web app was fully deployed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Signed and got the option to download the PDF version of the agreement on the acknowledgement page. The PDF is digitally signed by Rivian, with today's date, and can easily be printed out and signed by the customer if/when needed. No separate e-mail confirmation or change on in my pre-order on the webpage...yet. Also glad they offered the opportunity and hoping it works when I get delivery and file my taxes afterwards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I signed the agreement and hopefully "grandfathered" before the intended changes to the legislation. My motivation was based on income limits in the new bill. I intend to purchase the vehicle regardless of the tax credit being available, especially in light of the price increase. $100 at risk is worth it.

However, the current language states to claim the credit you need to do it in the year you start driving the vehicle. I am not due to receive my R1S until 2023. Even though I signed the contract, I am still concerned the new rules will apply. See link and relevant language:

You may be eligible for a credit under Section 30D(a), if you purchased a car or truck with at least four wheels and a gross vehicle weight of less than 14,000 pounds that draws energy from a battery with at least 4 kilowatt hours and that may be recharged from an external source. You must have purchased it in or after 2010 and begun driving it in the year in which you claim the credit. The credit ranges between $2,500 and $7,500, depending on the capacity of the battery. The credit begins to phase out for a manufacturer, when that manufacturer sells 200,000 qualified vehicles.

Maybe Rivian will prioritize orders based on binding contracts? One can only hope.

·
Registered
565 Posts
When the IRS updates the forms for the new credit I am sure it will be specific about how to claim the credit for vehicles purchased in 2022 and put into service in 2023. The new legislation specifically calls out this case as being eligible for the "old" credit, so on the new forms there will be a way to claim the "old" credit in this situation. Like all other updated tax forms, I don't expect to see the updated form until maybe February.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I haven't dived into the new bill yet, but what are the specifics around the income levels and vehicle price as compared to what is in place at the current moment? #lazyweb Thanks for your help and distillation of the salient points.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I haven't dived into the new bill yet, but what are the specifics around the income levels and vehicle price as compared to what is in place at the current moment? #lazyweb Thanks for your help and distillation of the salient points.
My understanding regarding "income levels and vehicle price compared to what is in place at the current moment" is:

Income levels:
  • Current legislation: unrestricted; just need to to have minimum fed tax liability of at least $7500 to be eligible for full credit
  • New (pending) legislation: income cap of $150,000 (single) / $300,000 (married / joint)

Vehicle price:
  • Current legislation: essentially unrestricted (when considering vehicles of the the size/class/battery size of a Rivian)
  • New (pending) legislation: $80,000 MSRP for SUV's, trucks, and vans

NOTE: For reference regarding the current legislation, see Plug In Electric Vehicle Credit IRC 30 and IRC 30D | Internal Revenue Service

Basically, the current legislation has, in essence, no income or price caps. In the context of a Rivian-class PEV, the most critical limitation is that it only applies, in full, to the first 200,000 vehicles produced by a manufacturer. The new legislation will effectively supplant the current legislation, in its entirety, once signed into law (exact phase-in details are left as an exercise for the reader).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Under the current system, there are no limitations to claim the credit based on vehicle value or household income. The new Act only allows the credit to people who have less than $300,000 in household income and for vehicles that have MSRP of less than $80,000 (for Vans, pickups, and SUVs) or $55,000 (for all other vehicles). The new Act also has limitations regarding place of assembly, battery composition, etc - it's a lot, and very few EVs will qualify for a credit under the new Act. That was the price Manchin required to get his vote....

·
Registered
26 Posts
However, the current language states to claim the credit you need to do it in the year you start driving the vehicle. I am not due to receive my R1S until 2023. Even though I signed the contract, I am still concerned the new rules will apply. See link and relevant language:

You may be eligible for a credit under Section 30D(a), if you purchased a car or truck with at least four wheels and a gross vehicle weight of less than 14,000 pounds that draws energy from a battery with at least 4 kilowatt hours and that may be recharged from an external source. You must have purchased it in or after 2010 and begun driving it in the year in which you claim the credit. The credit ranges between $2,500 and $7,500, depending on the capacity of the battery. The credit begins to phase out for a manufacturer, when that manufacturer sells 200,000 qualified vehicles.

Maybe Rivian will prioritize orders based on binding contracts? One can only hope.
I don't see anything there that would suggest that the current rules are invalid:
  • "...purchased a car or truck with at least four wheels..." - check
  • "You must have purchased it in or after 2010..." - check
  • "...and begun driving it in the year in which you claim the credit." -check
That last line, to me, means that you can only claim your credit in the same year you register the car. So if you registered your truck in 2023 and your taxes don't equal up to $7500, you can't push the claim to 2024, let's say, when you will pay more than $7500 and can take full benefit of the credit. Or, for that matter, use it on your 2022 taxes if you haven't filed them yet.

I think that if anything invalidates it, it will be in the wording of the new rebate program.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts