Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Agree these statements re Bitcoin are very naive. The idea itself is truly amazing. Much respect and i do believe it is the best asset i have ever owned. Many companies are accepting bitcoin and some will keep this asset on their balance sheet due to new FASB accounting rules which treat the asset like other commodities. Converting to fiat is also very simple. STRIKE is a company that will do this instantly without tax events. Re the energy usage, yes it does use electricity. This enables massive security for the asset. If ESG is your concern, be aware stranded energy is preferred for BTC mainly because locality contraints on energy transmission do not apply. Thus very “green”.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agree these statements re Bitcoin are very naive. The idea itself is truly amazing. Much respect and i do believe it is the best asset i have ever owned. Many companies are accepting bitcoin and some will keep this asset on their balance sheet due to new FASB accounting rules which treat the asset like other commodities. Converting to fiat is also very simple. STRIKE is a company that will do this instantly without tax events. Re the energy usage, yes it does use electricity. This enables massive security for the asset. If ESG is your concern, be aware stranded energy is preferred for BTC mainly because locality contraints on energy transmission do not apply. Thus very “green”.
My thoughts exactly. Thank you for your thoughtful and great response 👍🙏

· Registered
149 Posts
ESG is your concern, be aware stranded energy is preferred for BTC mainly because locality contraints on energy transmission do not apply. Thus very “green”.
I call BS on this. Sure in the short term stranded gas is otherwise wasted, but over the longer term using it this way just creates more or at least prolongs demand for fossil fuel extraction. It's just straight physics that BTC mining converts a ton of energy into heat that ultimately gets dumped into the atmosphere, without producing any tangible work. There is no way to call it green, period.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts