Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Comments from a BMW exec to a journalist reveal that a pickup is the perfect form factor for a pure electric vehicle. Despite acknowledging this, and explaining his reasoning, the BMW exec explains that BMW is not looking to build a pickup, and then includes some nonsensical comment that BMW looks for a challenge. The image below is from a one-off BMW pickup concept revealed in 2019.

---

“First we decide what’s the right concept for us, and so far we are not at all in pick-up trucks, for example,” the auto executive told carsales.

“But if you would think from the other way around, like where can I put as much battery cells in with a certain freedom of height, then a pick-up truck would be a good concept for electromobility, for sure.”

Schmidt said the EV pick-up concept has genuine potential, but implied that BMW M prefers a challenge, observing that simpler development pathways are not among the primary criteria to achieving the green light.

“Because you have the wheelbase, the length of the car, freedom below the body, you can cool it easily, but we will not decide for a body type just because it’s easier.

“Most cars on the market are going up to approximately 100kWh [battery packs]. A pick-up can definitely put in more. If the concept is made for electromobility it’s always a question of where’s the space?”

“The bigger the car the better you can fit batteries in. The more batteries the less important weight would be, the easier it is to achieve the range goals you might have,” he explained.

·
Registered
362 Posts
He makes a good point, a pickup can tick off a lot of boxes for EV makers to experiment with: betteries, range, performance, durability, versatility and luxury. I'd be very interested to see what the M division comes up with.

·
Registered
392 Posts
He makes a good point, a pickup can tick off a lot of boxes for EV makers to experiment with: betteries, range, performance, durability, versatility and luxury. I'd be very interested to see what the M division comes up with.
I'm actually excited to see what Mercedes has planned here, its one area BMW is weak at.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm actually excited to see what Mercedes has planned here, its one area BMW is weak at.
Is Mercedes planning another pickup? because they're scrapping the X-Class.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts