Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
202? R1S Adventure
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered my R1S as a luxury SUV as opposed to an off-roading machine. At the time I ordered my R1S, it was the only EV AWD SUV that could go 300 miles or more.

Before I ask my question, I do not define a small car with a liftgate or station wagon (Lyriq) as a crossover / SUV.

I am curious to find out if anybody else is purchasing an R1S as very capable AWD luxury land yacht as opposed to a rock crawler. :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have ordered my R1S as a luxury SUV as opposed to an off-roading machine. At the time I ordered my R1S, it was the only EV AWD SUV that could go 300 miles or more.

Before I ask my question, I do not define a small car with a liftgate or station wagon (Lyriq) as a crossover / SUV.

I am curious to find out if anybody else is purchasing an R1S as very capable AWD luxury land yacht as opposed to a rock crawler. :)
Yes, have an R1S LE configured ElCap/Black Forest on 22s. Replaces my Jeep GC that spent well under 5% of it’s life on unpaved roads.

I ordered this as it was at the time and still is the only thing I see close to the Jeep in size and functionality.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Yes. Ordered it to replace my wife’s 2015 BMW X5. Needed a third row, and love the look of the interior (will hopefully get you see and feel it in person sometime soon) and the performance specs. Been planning on switching to EVs (even before California’s $5/gallon+ gas prices). The only other option for a three-row SUV was the Model X, but not only do I not really like the styling, but a $120k price tag just seemed too much for what you get (not knocking Tesla, just expressing my opinion).

Looking forward to the R1S (not sure I won’t end up driving it more than my wife).

·
Registered
461 Posts
Can you say "Road Trip"? We often go camping / hotelling with outdoors activities being the focus, and I will love to have a car with twice the cargo space as the I-Pace and more offroad capability that I will use sometimes. Around town I'll still drive the I-Pace. So ... is that still "Land Yacht"? Close enough I think, even on desert vacation most miles will be driven on pavement. 🍻

·
Registered
11 Posts

yes, my order or R1S Adv package with standard 21" road wheel is intended to be a luxury crossover/SUV kind of replacing an Audi SQ5. R1S is bigger and faster...just the way I wanted :)

I have a long waiting period (2nd half of 2023!!)....i also got a Bronco Sport Badlands on order, hopefully coming much sooner than the R1S, to tie us over and provide some off-road capability.

·
Registered
202? R1S Adventure
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you say "Road Trip"? We often go camping / hotelling with outdoors activities being the focus, and I will love to have a car with twice the cargo space as the I-Pace and more offroad capability that I will use sometimes. Around town I'll still drive the I-Pace. So ... is that still "Land Yacht"? Close enough I think, even on desert vacation most miles will be driven on pavement. 🍻
I'd put the I-Pace in the sports car category instead of a land yacht. I test drove an EV version of the I-Pace and thought is was fun to drive. It's a little small for my taste since I now have to consider getting in an out of a vehicle with my aging 5-11 frame. I find it humorous that a strong consideration for me is the kneel mode in the Rivian and in the I-Pace, I had to raise the car to be comfortable exiting. :cool:

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR / 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
115 Posts
I'd put the I-Pace in the sports car category instead of a land yacht. I test drove an EV version of the I-Pace and thought is was fun to drive. It's a little small for my taste since I now have to consider getting in an out of a vehicle with my aging 5-11 frame. I find it humorous that a strong consideration for me is the kneel mode in the Rivian and in the I-Pace, I had to raise the car to be comfortable exiting. :cool:
Is there a non-EV version of the I-Pace?

I'm interested in the R1S for the 7 seats/space and not as much for the off-roading. Need the large vehicle for my son's team's hockey trips. The only other large EV at the moment is the X and don't like the design (and now priced out of it).

Reactions: chungachguk

·
Registered
202? R1S Adventure
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Non
Is there a non-EV version of the I-Pace?

I'm interested in the R1S for the 7 seats/space and not as much for the off-roading. Need the large vehicle for my son's team's hockey trips. The only other large EV at the moment is the X and don't like the design (and now priced out of it).
I'm and idiot! Yes the I-Pace is an EV. This is what I get for multi-tasking at work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Haha no problem, not an idiot. I agree with you btw, I meant that the R1S would be a land yacht, not the I-Pace.
a good size yacht. I stood by an X7 this morning when I was at a BMW dealer service.....that is a big car. And R1S dimension is very similar to the X7.

I configured a 5-seater. I don't need the additional seats and rather have the carrying capacity for the yacht :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Replacing a 2006 Lincoln Navigator purchased from the dealer and driven just over 100,000. Have some sandy property so the 4 wheel drive will be handy, but really wanted to stop visiting fossil fuel stations ASAP. Counting down days till expected delivery date in late April. Will be a big tech advance from the Navigator which has unused tow hooks on the front..

·
Registered
12 Posts

You bet!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Thanks, glad to be here. I have 3 kids so a normal 5 passenger is a bit small. The etron in the cold at 90% charge is only getting me 150 miles and that’s just not enough for me.
Ah that makes sense. How much range are you getting from the e-tron when it's warmer outside?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts