Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes. I like driving SUVs and owned two different X5s from 2002-2019. Wanted an EV to replace and test drove iPace and eTron. iPace too small and eTron didn't have enough range (and feels more like a wagon to me). Am a relatively early pre-order R1S guy and bought a Tesla Y while I wait for the large pack R1S. The Y is a great driving car but it's not really the SUV experience I like.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I am considering the R1S as a luxury SUV. I am considering the max pack because I drive mostly cross country road trip and rarely go off road. It is replacing my 2016 Tesla model X, which currently has 102,000 miles and grandfathered for free supercharging and connectivity. My 100% range has decreased from 257 miles down to 242. I love the X but I need longer range and faster charging times but don't want to pay for another X (price $100K+). I am in not in a hurry so by the time the max pack is available, I'll probably be over 150,000 miles. The main feature I don't like is the R1S is not efficient at 49kWh/100 miles vs Tesla, price is less than the X. Fall back is model Y or Cybertruck if it will fit in my garage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have ordered my R1S as a luxury SUV as opposed to an off-roading machine. At the time I ordered my R1S, it was the only EV AWD SUV that could go 300 miles or more.

Before I ask my question, I do not define a small car with a liftgate or station wagon (Lyriq) as a crossover / SUV.

I am curious to find out if anybody else is purchasing an R1S as very capable AWD luxury land yacht as opposed to a rock crawler. :)
I ordered my R1S with the intent of replacing a VW Routan mini-van. The R1S is slightly shorter and slightly wider than the Routan. We are not into adventuring (mid-70s of age), but the technology and engineering is what I can't wait to embrace. No other manufacturer to date has what Rivian has.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes, purchasing R1S for luxury SUV, but nice to know it's capable. It will cost close to $80K without tax with options. Like most who buy a Range Rover or Land Rover: not sure I want to do too much off-roading with an $80K+ vehicle. Off-roading is sometimes "pay to play". It can be tough on a vehicle.

I wonder if a max pack (if it's ever offered) can be retrofit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've thought about changing from the Truck to the SUV just to mess with all the Land Rover, BMW, and MB suv's we have around here. Heck we even have a Rolls suv show up recently. They all have their loud exhaust and take off from every stoplight. How cool would it be to smoke them with absolute silence. I just wish they had a dark red interior and polished wheels as options. For now my R1T is going to be more sport truck than adventure truck. Doing the same fun messing with Chevy SS and Ram TRX trucks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have ordered my R1S as a luxury SUV as opposed to an off-roading machine. At the time I ordered my R1S, it was the only EV AWD SUV that could go 300 miles or more.

Before I ask my question, I do not define a small car with a liftgate or station wagon (Lyriq) as a crossover / SUV.

I am curious to find out if anybody else is purchasing an R1S as very capable AWD luxury land yacht as opposed to a rock crawler. :)
Initially expected the R1S to replace our 2003 XC-90 V-8 Sport, that towed a [email protected] teardrop plus gear in the summer and served to get us to and from ski areas in the winter. No real offroading with our SUVs, but 4/AWD is often needed on dirt & gravel roads hauling the trailer, and it is a necessity for winter driving in many of the very snowy areas we frequent. The room of a larger SUV is also needed to haul all the gear we need.

The rather lengthy delay in Rivian production kind of forced us to get another ICE vehicle as an interim replacement for our 13 year old Volvo. The R1S Max (err, "Longer Range") that I hope to order will replace our new bridge vehicle - a Telluride. Though I'd like to make the switch to BEV as soon as possible, my guess is that we will be forced to use the Telly for next 24 -36 months as Rivian sorts out the engineering for the Longer Range R1S (it apparently will not have the 400+ mile range of the R1T Max) and works through production and supply chain issues.

So yes, we're also purchasing an R1S to use as a capable BEV land yacht. The wait is frustrating but actually not all bad. It seems very likely that by the time our Rivian is delivered in late 2024 or early 2025, the charging infrastructure will be built out significantly from current, helping alleviate (or perhaps even obviate) range concerns.

·
Registered
4 Posts
100% in for a land yacht. We have a Tesla Model 3 now and want more space. Ideally we'd take our two kids, two friends (or grandparents) and stuff on a trip. We tried to fit everyone in a Model X and (despite really not liking the styling and shape) having regular sized people in the third row was a joke.

Give me seating/storage space, range and no gas and I'm good to go. I will take it over many curbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Absolutely! I visited the hub in Venice and the interior did not disappoint. It's a work of art. The R1S will replace my Range Rover Sport that I rarely take out on dirt roads. The R1S is the same width as the RRS and about the same length as the full size RR. I just added solar panels to my home sufficient to cover the additional needs of an EV. The solar company recommended 2 panels for my driving needs (I have no commute).

21 - 32 of 32 Posts