- Be sure to know who the seller is. Ask: their real name, where they live, who else has bought from them. Click on their avatar to see how long they have been a Rivian member. Get independent verification of this information if possible.
- Pay through PayPal (*) or a credit card that allows you to recover your funds if the parts aren’t delivered. Do not pay by wire transfer or direct bank-to-bank transfer; these payments can not be reversed.
- Make sure you have a clear understanding of the condition of the parts that you are buying. Demand clear photos of all areas that you feel are important. If the seller is unwilling to supply these photos, consider it a red flag.
- Be aware that neither Rivian Owners Forum, nor its owner VerticalScope, are parties to your transaction. The Rivian Owners Forum is just a means of connecting buyers and sellers. If the transaction does not meet your expectations, the Rivian Owners Forum cannot get your money refunded or get your parts delivered.
- If you feel that you have been cheated, please report the seller to the Rivian moderators. But be aware that the moderators will not ban any member from Rivian Owners without first understanding both sides of the issue.
Note that PayPal charges a fee (presently 4.22%) for Purchase Protection, which reduces the amount the buyer receives. Your buyer probably won’t agree to absorb that fee, so you should increase the amount that you send to PayPal by 1/(1-fee) or 4.4% at current rates. For example, if you want to deliver $100 to a seller, and receive Purchase Protection, you will need to enter $104.40 in the PayPal “amount” field.