Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Prius, 2012 Tacoma, 2012 Vespa GTV300
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They reported 103 mile range at 70 mph towing 5600 lbs. I expect to be towing around that same weight but closer to 55mph. Still, an almost 2/3 range reduction isn't insignificant.

·
Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
195 Posts
That reduction in speed will make a fairly significant impact. I still wouldn't expect more than 50% of unladen range.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I expect to be towing around that same weight but closer to 55mph
So, what is the range reduction you see with your current (presumably ICE) tow vehicle? And how did you measure that - against the EPA number for your vehicle or against the mileage you "normally" get? If you're not currently towing and you're trying to figure out whether the range you will get from the Rivian will be enough for that travel trailer you expect to buy in the future, then be sure to apply the same criteria to other vehicles you may be considering. All of them are going to have a roughly similar reduction in range for the same load.

Comparing to the EPA estimate is wrong if the number you're trying to measure is how much towing reduces the range. For example, all of these videos seem to be using the 20" tires with the Adventure package (tow hooks being the visible sign of this) so you're already starting with a range at least 10%-15% lower than the EPA estimate, according to Rivian. That part of the loss has nothing to do with towing.

Likewise, none of these videos are using conditions anywhere near the EPA conditions. This is important because a range reduction measurement involves two numbers, both of which need to be measured in the same conditions: 1) the range when towing, and 2) the range when NOT towing. If you don't actually measure 1), and instead use the EPA number, your results will be wrong.

In the video, C&D show a graphic at about 2:50 which shows that their driving test measured a range of 220 miles @75mph. That is much different than the EPA number, and indicates that their conditions were much different than the EPA conditions. The "almost 2/3 range reduction" as stated in the original post assumes an EPA number of 314 for the not-towing range, which we know is the wrong number for that vehicle configuration. A better (but still not accurate) estimate would be to use C&D's numbers for both the numerator and denominator - 103 / 220 yields a reduction in range of 53%, which is in line with what Rivian has said. (I say still not accurate because there is little to indicate that they used the same route for the non-towing test, or that they used 75mph on the highway for the towing test.) And more importantly, 53% is completely in line with what you would expect from an ICE vehicle with the same load in the same conditions.

Note that the C&D video did point out most of these things, although they didn't emphasize them and some of the spoken numbers weren't consistent. For example, at one point they said they were averaging 110 miles of range at @70mph while towing, and they said that was reduced from 270 miles of range when not towing. (This is at about 6:20 in the video.) It's not clear to me whether these were mistakes on the part of the presenter or whether some of this was recorded before they had all their numbers finalized, or whatever.

The other point you shouldn't gloss over is that both the C&D review and the TFL "Ike test" videos mention that the Rivian is an exceptional tow vehicle. The TFL guys said at times they forgot they were towing. With a load that big on a route that challenging, that's a noteworthy statement. And C&D fangirled the Rivian, describing the towing experience as "boarderline dreamy". If you're evaluating the Rivian or any other truck as a tow vehicle, range is only one factor. If your vehicle has poor handling and poor control over a large load at highway speeds, I personally wouldn't want to drive it ANY number of miles. Been there, done that, not going to do it again.

The problem I have with all videos of this sort is that they are mostly anecdotal. Because of this, their results, while they are "facts", are not very useful. One data point, whether good or bad, does not make a scientific study and cannot be reasonably extrapolated.

Now, if you simply want to know how far you can expect tow something with a Rivian, that's a different question. But compare apples to apples - an ICE vehicle is going to be affected by towing as roughly as much as a Rivian.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.