Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if feasible to put a roof top tent on the cab to keep the bed available for dirtbikes, etc.

I have been doing this on my 2016 Ridgeline for years.
Allows for 2 person camping/dirt biking with minimal setup/down time.

Discussions/ideas/concerns welcome!
Current set up photos below with a Falcon XL RTT @ 150lbs, a KTM350 @ 240lbs and KTM790 @ 440lbs.
The ridgeline tailgate has a dynamic load limit of 300lbs. Assuming 60/40 front/rear weight distribution that is close to the limit. I've had no problems yet. RTT installed on Yakima rails and towers.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Car

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wondering if feasible to put a roof top tent on the cab to keep the bed available for dirtbikes, etc.

I have been doing this on my 2016 Ridgeline for years.
Allows for 2 person camping/dirt biking with minimal setup/down time.

Discussions/ideas/concerns welcome!
Current set up photos below with a Falcon XL RTT @ 150lbs, a KTM350 @ 240lbs and KTM790 @ 440lbs.
The ridgeline tailgate has a dynamic load limit of 300lbs. Assuming 60/40 front/rear weight distribution that is close to the limit. I've had no problems yet. RTT installed on Yakima rails and towers.
View attachment 5183
View attachment 5184
View attachment 5182
View attachment 5181
View attachment 5185
I’ll be interested to know if you can. I am thinking height and how it affects steering balance, and the total height.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ll be interested to know if you can. I am thinking height and how it affects steering balance, and the total height.
Yes I notice it on the Ridgeline, but it is insignificant. I forget that it is there for daily driving. Same way you feel you vehicle is a bit heavier after shopping. I opted for the Falcon because it is very narrow and 'lightweight'.

I don't know about the R1T but the R1S has an adventure gear option that's a rooftop tent. I personally would not consider it because of additional aerodynamic drag.
I would not want the optional Yakima tent on the roof either, the Roofnest is much more aerodynamic and lighter. I notice a ~5% difference in MPG. About the same as putting on more all-terrain-y tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts