Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone. I signed up today and pre-ordered my R1T. An option that I wanted to check (but ultimately didn't) was the camp Kitchen. At $5,000 I was wondering what everyone though of this and potential pitfalls and promises of this option.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I think it's cool, and if you do a lot of camping where you like the idea of a prefab kitchen AND you can stomach the price, then I say go for it. It's a premium option that's really about providing the best possible experience.

For more price-conscious shoppers, or those who don't camp a whole lot, then it's an easy upgrade to pass on.

Personally, I'm going to pass on the camp kitchen. I'm more likely to get the rooftop tent. But I can live without the kitchen.

·
Registered
2022 Rivian Blue R1T Adventure Package
23 Posts
I think it's cool, and if you do a lot of camping where you like the idea of a prefab kitchen AND you can stomach the price, then I say go for it. It's a premium option that's really about providing the best possible experience.

For more price-conscious shoppers, or those who don't camp a whole lot, then it's an easy upgrade to pass on.

Personally, I'm going to pass on the camp kitchen. I'm more likely to get the rooftop tent. But I can live without the kitchen.
I'm in the same boat as you. It's cool, but I don't camp enough to need to drop $5k on it. The tent is definitely much more appealing to me (unless it costs $2500). However, the camp kitchen is definitely hot, just not in my budget, or in my "need" column.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in the "camp" (pun intended) that this kitchen has some weight associated with it. The kitchen does not appear to be removable, so I would carry this dead weight around when I am not camping. This would naturally decrease battery range and I worry about the bouncing and jarring effects our fine state roads will do on the kitchen for the long term durability.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another slightly irking feature is that after I could potentially drop $5,000 for a camp kitchen, I still have to buy the "optional 30 piece prep and cookware set from Snow Peak" for which this kitchen is designed around. That seems kinda petty to me.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I am in the "camp" (pun intended) that this kitchen has some weight associated with it. The kitchen does not appear to be removable, so I would carry this dead weight around when I am not camping. This would naturally decrease battery range and I worry about the bouncing and jarring effects our fine state roads will do on the kitchen for the long term durability.
Rivian has confirmed that the camp kitchen IS removable and can even be easily removed by one person. It's designed to store easily in your garage, so you only carry it in your R1T when you really need it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rivian has confirmed that the camp kitchen IS removable and can even be easily removed by one person. It's designed to store easily in your garage, so you only carry it in your R1T when you really need it.
Well, now that answers and appeases the Engineer mindset in me. I wouldn't even have a problem storing it in my garage, but still have to cough up $320 for the campfire cookset from Snow Peak (which is currently sold out). I would think that Rivian if offering this $5K option, would have included it in the price or not be limited by a 3rd party vendor's stock availability.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Greetings everyone. I signed up today and pre-ordered my R1T. An option that I wanted to check (but ultimately didn't) was the camp Kitchen. At $5,000 I was wondering what everyone though of this and potential pitfalls and promises of this option.

Thanks.
It's a really cool option that helps establish Rivian as an outdoor lifestyle brand along with being a car company. But like mentioned above, unless you're camping regularly and/or for long periods of time it's hard to justify the price.

Rivian doesn't say how the kitchen can be removed but on their site they do say that it can be removed.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
It's a really cool option that helps establish Rivian as an outdoor lifestyle brand along with being a car company. But like mentioned above, unless you're camping regularly and/or for long periods of time it's hard to justify the price.

Rivian doesn't say how the kitchen can be removed but on their site they do say that it can be removed.

The camp kitchen also includes the sliding rail system, which Rivian has indicated can be used for other things. So I’d expect more accessories, both from Rivian and aftermarket companies, that attach to the rail system. Some creative owners might build their own gadgets for it as well. I have no interest in the camp kitchen, but slide out accessories my get my attention.

Reactions: RITVT

·
Registered
18 Posts
The camp kitchen also includes the sliding rail system, which Rivian has indicated can be used for other things. So I’d expect more accessories, both from Rivian and aftermarket companies, that attach to the rail system. Some creative owners might build their own gadgets for it as well. I have no interest in the camp kitchen, but slide out accessories my get my attention.
Slide out storage boxes would be amazing. I'm hoping Rivian or a third party will make this available quickly. I would love to have form fitting removable boxes that I could swap in or out based on family/farm/lake activities.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can see companies like Knapheide, Reading, or others to jump on this immediately by offering a sliding storage / tool box. Imagine being able to charge your portable electric tools with some sort of generator or charging station inside the compartment. This would be ideal for contractors or even camping when you want to run outdoor lights or other electric assessories.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
I can see companies like Knapheide, Reading, or others to jump on this immediately by offering a sliding storage / tool box. Imagine being able to charge your portable electric tools with some sort of generator or charging station inside the compartment. This would be ideal for contractors or even camping when you want to run outdoor lights or other electric assessories.
No need for a generator since there’s a 120v/15amp plug in the gear tunnel already.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Thanks.
As a regular tent camper, the kitchen option at $5000 is very overpriced and you can easily outfit for far less. Also rooftop camper tent as a norm are always super pricey, and unless you plan to normally camp on rocky ground or have bear issues, the tent option climbing up And down,setting up and long term care will be wasted dollars.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks.
I question the long term durability of a unit carried around in various terrains

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Most people don’t take their RVs rock crawling...
If you don't think Rivian can built the camp kitchen to survive what the R1T can survive, then you probably shouldn't trust the R1T, either.

On the other hand, if you do choose to trust the R1T, I see no reason not to have faith in the engineering of the camp kitchen.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts