Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let the adventure begin
And since getting my Rivian I took that motto to heart
As I prepare for another long trip I wonder about camping and charging.
I understand that some campgrounds have 220/240 outlets and the charger which comes with the R1T could work with those.

Does anyone have experience in using those at campgrounds and can offer advise in what to look for when looking for campgrounds?

My dog and I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences.
Thanks
Bari

·
Registered
531 Posts
Let the adventure begin
And since getting my Rivian I took that motto to heart
As I prepare for another long trip I wonder about camping and charging.
I understand that some campgrounds have 220/240 outlets and the charger which comes with the R1T could work with those.

Does anyone have experience in using those at campgrounds and can offer advise in what to look for when looking for campgrounds?

My dog and I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences.
Thanks
Bari
I don't have experience with campgrounds and charging the R1 (yet) but most campgrounds have a NEMA 14-50 plug for 50 AMPs that are used to provide current to the big class A RVs (and some massive 5th wheel trailers). My understanding is that the R1s should be able to plain hook up to these 50 AMP outlet and charge and run everything like a regular RV would.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Campgrounds typically have a mix of 240v/50a (NEMA 14-50) and 120v/30a (NEMA TT-30). You can buy an adapter to convert the TT-30 to NEMA 14-50 so you can use your EVSE on either one (be sure to get one made for an EVSE, not an RV adapter). The TT-30 receptacle will obviously charge more slowly than the 14-50, but you will pay more to rent a spot with a 50 amp hookup as those are intended for the large class A RVs.

Another important thing to check with your intended campground is that many of them do not allow tents at RV sites (which are going to be the sites with the large hookups)

·
Registered
401 Posts
8 years with teslas here in Alaska and only real charging infrastructure is campgrounds. From my experience a few things. First, if you can reserve a spot with hookups do it. Many times sites are full and you don’t want to show up and have no where to charge. If you use a TT-30 adaptor (with a 14-50 Rivan plug) drop the charge amps to at most 23a, I do 20 to be safe. Also plan on slower charge speeds then “typical”. Other then that have fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts