Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a Rivian or electric vehicle can be used to power a house or the essentials during a natural disaster or when the power grid goes down? And if so, how far could you drain the battery before you case damage?

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is a question I'd like to know the answer to as well. It does seem more and more electric vehicles are offering vehicle to grid power or the equivalent. To me that makes it more worthwhile to buy an electric vehicle, to have that capability.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
32 Posts
I don't believe anyone has released an EV that allows for it to output its power. Hyundai announced this as a way to charge another car but it isn't available yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is also the Wallbox device, expected to retail for about $4000, that can provide bi-directional charging that would allow an electric vehicle to power a house. Not sure if Rivian would need to do something specific to accommodate that or if it would work regardless. Still, it would be nice if the Rivian would ship with that kind of capability, or at least offer a solution less than $4000.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Circling back on this. Does anyone know if Rivian will be compatible with bidirectional chargers? This would definitely be a kill two birds with one stone solution that I would love.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
32 Posts
Was just doing some research on Lucid and their vehicle and charger will come with this exact feature. Just figured I would share.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts