Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between 21” all seasons versus other wheel/tire setups?

a little context to my inquiry: I have an F-150 Lightning and the ride is CUSHY and SMOOTH, but I might be interested in trading for an R1T due to smaller frame, fits garage, is fast.

I test drove a Rivian on 21s yesterday and the ride wasn’t as smooth as I was expecting compared to the Lightning.

Is there any appreciable difference between the other setups?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rivian rides superior in middle height at speed it drops to “low” setting and firms up quite a bit on certain types of bumps.

not sure how the 21” rides, but thought I would alert you to ride heights. Makes a big difference to me to ride in the middle height as much as possible. But range goes down.

5 ride height modes to choose from.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rivian rides superior in middle height at speed it drops to “low” setting and firms up quite a bit on certain types of bumps.

not sure how the 21” rides, but thought I would alert you to ride heights. Makes a big difference to me to ride in the middle height as much as possible. But range goes down.

5 ride height modes to choose from.
Interesting, thank you for the feedback. As you'd guess, the dealer was trying to keep the miles down so I didn't get the best feel for the truck in the 2ish miles I got to test it out. Gonna try another setup out before I make the decision but I'm leaning toward keeping the Lightning now

·
Registered
271 Posts
Interesting, thank you for the feedback. As you'd guess, the dealer was trying to keep the miles down so I didn't get the best feel for the truck in the 2ish miles I got to test it out. Gonna try another setup out before I make the decision but I'm leaning toward keeping the Lightning now
9000+ miles in on 21" road wheel/tire setup and I can confirm the ride is super nice in Low and Standard with dampening set on standard/soft. The suspension is way better than most and I will say the "LOWEST" can be bumpy with its reduced travel. I have mine set to never go into lowest thanks to the latest OTA update.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The ride quality degrades substantially in Lowest. I won’t use that height any more.

Firm is also uncomfortable so I reserve that for sporty driving on curvy roads.

Standard/Soft is where I keep it for normal use. I tried Conserve on a road trip and didn’t like the ride so I’m going to stick with Standard and accept a little higher consumption in exchange for enjoying the trip.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What effects does the ride height have on MPG?
Modes lower the truck to low setting at highway speeds for reduced drag and aerodynamics. In the new “auto” setting it does this all day long. Out of auto it will stay at the height you tell it to.

For most driving then you can hold the height on standard and use whatever mode such as all purpose or conserve.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Between 21” all seasons versus other wheel/tire setups?

a little context to my inquiry: I have an F-150 Lightning and the ride is CUSHY and SMOOTH, but I might be interested in trading for an R1T due to smaller frame, fits garage, is fast.

I test drove a Rivian on 21s yesterday and the ride wasn’t as smooth as I was expecting compared to the Lightning.

Is there any appreciable difference between the other setups?
I have a F150-L and test drove the R1T on 20, 21, and 22s. There’s a noticeable difference in comfort, but not enough to make up the difference to the F-150L.

I spent considerable time in various modes and suspension settings as well…not close. What you gain in handling you sacrifice in harshness.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I have a F150-L and test drove the R1T on 20, 21, and 22s. There’s a noticeable difference in comfort, but not enough to make up the difference to the F-150L.

I spent considerable time in various modes and suspension settings as well…not close. What you gain in handling you sacrifice in harshness.
I haven't had a chance to drive a Lightning, but I've driven the hybrid F-150. I know the Lightning uses a different rear suspension setup. Have you driven ICE versions of the F-150 and can compare the difference between the two?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I haven't had a chance to drive a Lightning, but I've driven the hybrid F-150. I know the Lightning uses a different rear suspension setup. Have you driven ICE versions of the F-150 and can compare the difference between the two?
Not the hybrid but a standard F150 with the eco boost. It rides very similar IMO. It handles better on the curves, and you lose the rear end shimmy when going over bumps. It’s a tad softer, a lot quieter, but when it bounces you still get that leaf spring like wavy floaty bounce, just no shimmy.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Not the hybrid but a standard F150 with the eco boost. It rides very similar IMO. It handles better on the curves, and you lose the rear end shimmy when going over bumps. It’s a tad softer, a lot quieter, but when it bounces you still get that leaf spring like bounce, just no shimmy.
Ah. Well, I didn't like the standard F-150 ride. I thought it was the worst of the "big 3" trucks for ride quality. So I guess that wouldn't work for me.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ah. Well, I didn't like the standard F-150 ride. I thought it was the worst of the "big 3" trucks for ride quality. So I guess that wouldn't work for me.
Probably not. To me they’re very similar. The best way I can put it is the F-150L rides like an old school caddy. Floats and moves like a boat. The R1T to me is closer to a Tesla in the way it moves and handles. They’re on different ends of the spectrum. Both leave me missing my Ridgeline a little.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts