Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Currently 2019 Tesla M3 - Hopefully R1S Adventure
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Tesla M3 that I love but it is too small for me. Before my Tesla, I had a Ford Explorer so I'm very excited about the R1S.

One of my favorite things about the Tesla is the "one pedal driving". Does the R1S have the capability of that?

TIA

·
Registered
84 Posts
How does it work as you come to a stop? Will the vehicle engage the service brakes to hold the truck once it's stopped? In my I-pace the regen will slow the car to a crawl, but you have to switch to the brake pedal to completely stop the car and hold it (at a stop light, for example).

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
How does it work as you come to a stop? Will the vehicle engage the service brakes to hold the truck once it's stopped? In my I-pace the regen will slow the car to a crawl, but you have to switch to the brake pedal to completely stop the car and hold it (at a stop light, for example).
Yes, it will come to a full stop and HOLD.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I really haven't used my Ginormous brakes yet. I do wonder if such strong re-gen will prematurely wear the tires. I'm thinking about switching to LOW regen in the winter when roads are sketchy, as it seems strong enough to potentially slide the vehicle on ice or snow, but TBD.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You won't even need to use the break on a 25% downhill grade, the regen is crazy. The only time I've had to use the break is on the freeway when you're at higher speeds. Otherwise it truly is one-pedal driving

·
Registered
84 Posts
I really haven't used my Ginormous brakes yet. I do wonder if such strong re-gen will prematurely wear the tires. I'm thinking about switching to LOW regen in the winter when roads are sketchy, as it seems strong enough to potentially slide the vehicle on ice or snow, but TBD.
I don't think the regen itself will cause excessive tire wear. You quickly develop a feel for how pedal position affects the level of regen so you're not really putting any more friction through the tires than you otherwise would with conventional brakes. If there were any effect at all I would actually expect regeneration to increase tire life since there would be less brake heat that could reach the tires. What WILL wear the tires quickly is the heavy battery. The R1T is a heavy beast.

Many EV drivers do indeed change the regen settings in winter as you suggest.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I can literally hear the tires really gripping the pavement with regen on high when you decelerate. It's quite noticeable. Seems equivalent to acceleration force on the rubber compound. I'm not saying it a bad thing, but I would anticipate needing to change out tires more frequently with the awesome amount of force generated by regen.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you apply 0.3G (for example) via regen or via brakes, how would your tires know the difference? If you are just pulling your foot completely off the pedal, that's the equivalent (in high regen) of pushing your brake pedal in about 1/3 of its travel. That's probably more deceleration force than you might be used to using. I have not driven a Rivian so I don't know what its high regen deceleration force is, but in daily driving my I-pace I almost never completely remove foot pressure from the accelerator when slowing since the regen force is higher than what I typically need to slow the car to a comfortable stop.

Ultimately the force on the tires is going to be the same whether it's delivered via regen or brakes, but if regen is causing you to change your driving behavior then maybe that could cause premature tire wear.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Yeah, from a physics perspective, i think you are correct... I wonder if it could be a function of regen applying varying amounts of pressure to all wheels based on ride mode, but I agree. At the end of the day, it really IS A HEAVY VEHICLE. That is what is probably giving me the feeling of more grip (for lack of a better word) based on regen torque (compared to an ICE vehicle).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts