Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
678 Posts
Yikes. That's going to make for some cold Rivian customers if the heat goes off while we sit there charging.

On Tesla, I can turn heat/ac off or on no matter if car is charging or not. Only limit is low battery state.

What does manual say about "Remote Heat"?

· Registered
659 Posts
I have a related question to all on this topic. If you set your HVAC to "AUTO" and the heat is supposed to be coming on, do you know why the cabin screen shows the little snow flakes in all the air duct areas rather than the three red heat lines? I feel heat coming, but the screen icons are not coinciding with air temp. Seems strange to me.

· Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
261 Posts
I use my app to warm up the cabin in the morning with the charger cable attached and it works perfect.

I do wonder if it is using battery or "shore" power like my Tesla did.
I was wondering this as well. It doesn't show that it is pulling any current on the app when it starts to heat. My EVSE is on a circuit that is connected to my energy monitor, so next time I pre-heat, I will look to see if it is pulling anything.

· Registered
2022 R1T no spare, no tonneau, El Cap, dark 22's
78 Posts
I was wondering this as well. It doesn't show that it is pulling any current on the app when it starts to heat. My EVSE is on a circuit that is connected to my energy monitor, so next time I pre-heat, I will look to see if it is pulling anything.
Preheating while plugged in is the best time to do it. Saves running the battery down

· Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
261 Posts
Preheating while plugged in is the best time to do it. Saves running the battery down
It is indeed, however it seems Rivian doesn't have the software quite right. If you truck has already reached a charging limit, it will not draw from the wall ("shore power") to preheat, it will instead use only the battery power. The best way I have found is to change your charging limit higher when you are starting the climate control. At least then you are putting power in the battery to offset what you are using to preheat. It seems Rivian needs to work this out, so you don't have to do that.

· Registered
64 Posts
Sitting in my house on this chilly morning, Rivian is in unheated garage. Rivian app shows Cabin Climate of 63. Climate control is off, set to 72. Charger has shut off (at 70%) long ago, having been plugged in for the past 40 hrs & 40 min. (it periodically wakes up and restores vampire drain). Turned on Climate Control. Charger immediately kicked in. Ran a couple of minutes. A few minutes have passed, Cabin Climate now 70, little fan is spinning on the corner of the app screen. Turned on seat heat to max. A few more minutes have passed. Cabin Climate still 70, charger still off, range has not changed, charger has now been connected for 40 hrs and 53 minutes, little fan has stopped...CONCLUSION...there is a limit on how high you can go by remotely turning on the cabin heat, and that limit appears to be 70 degrees. Experiment halted with connect time of 40 hrs and 58 minutes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts