Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Would an option to cancel the purchase during delivery make you feel comfortable buying online witho

• No.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Yes.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I am already comfortable with buying online.

Votes: 18 62.1%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once I purchased a car online with carvana and I could cancel it during the inspection when the car was being delivered at my home. The only cost would be a delivery fee. I wonder if Rivian will allow us to do the same. This would solve a lot of the anxiety coming from purchasing it online without seem the car first. It would particularly make my wife pretty happy 😃!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
It certain takes away some anxiety, but I don’t even know what color to order until I see all of them in some form other than the ridiculously inaccurate Configurator renderings. They’re a tech company for Christ’s sake; how can they not know how to produce accurate renderings?

Reactions: Sultanum

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They should send us a kit with palettes for interior and exterior colors. Right? I think that is the best solution.
It certain takes away some anxiety, but I don’t even know what color to order until I see all of them in some form other than the ridiculously inaccurate Configurator renderings. They’re a tech company for Christ’s sake; how can they not know how to produce accurate renderings?

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
They should send us a kit with palettes for interior and exterior colors. Right? I think that is the best solution.
I’d prefer some regional touch and feel events. I would willingly go to Denver or Vegas.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
147 Posts
I guess the 'during delivery cancellation' would most likely come down to damage. If my vehicle showed up and had damage on the exterior or interior I would imagine they would take it back.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I guess the 'during delivery cancellation' would most likely come down to damage. If my vehicle showed up and had damage on the exterior or interior I would imagine they would take it back.
I would hope so... but that's not necessarily a given. In my state, dealers can effectively "hide" repairs up to 25% the value of the vehicle without even disclosing them to the purchaser! If a vehicle is damaged after the paperwork is signed (such as during accessory installation or "delivery" then the dealer is obligated to repair it (if they caused it) but they're not obligated to give you your money back or unwind the sale. Some dealers might do that, to avoid a bad review, but I know lots of dealers that absolutely would not.

Rivian wants to have a better experience for their owners, so I hope they'll be better in this area... But the law won't force them.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am confident they would handle damages in a satisfactory way, even if legally they are not binding to do it. It is just part of the luxury vibe they are trying to push.

My concern was more of like if the size is not what I expected, or that Rivian Blue doesn't look what I thought it would in person. Things like that. I would like a cancellation policy with no questions asked. Just some delivery fee. I would not even mind losing my deposit.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
230 Posts
I will not sign a sales agreement until I can do a test drive and see all the colors, inside and out, and vehicle features in person.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm pretty sure nobody expects you to buy a pig in a poke. Just because we have not heard of a pre-sales process doesn't mean there won't be one. It's a $70,000-$80,000 (plus tax) transaction. Nobody expects you to commit without the opportunity to see what you're purchasing.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
230 Posts
I'm pretty sure nobody expects you to buy a pig in a poke. Just because we have not heard of a pre-sales process doesn't mean there won't be one. It's a $70,000-$80,000 (plus tax) transaction. Nobody expects you to commit without the opportunity to see what you're purchasing.
The point of the thread was about being willing to buy online, assuming sight unseen. My answer is a clear NO.

·
Registered
30 Posts
They’re a tech company for Christ’s sake; how can they not know how to produce accurate renderings?
Having worked on visualizations with some understanding of what's required and the limitations, I'm sure the renderings are being produced accurately. What they can't control are monitor settings and lighting, both of which greatly affect how a color is perceived. In the case of lighting, that's true both when viewing colors on unpredictable, mostly uncalibrated monitors, and in the real world.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will not sign a sales agreement until I can do a test drive and see all the colors, inside and out, and vehicle features in person.
Totally agree here . . . I was able to see one in person, which was great, but they didn't let you sit inside or inspect the vehicle in detail, and definitely didn't do any driving.

I've had my deposit down for several years, am in the queue for the 400+ version, but still won't make the purchase online unless I have had a chance to inspect and test drive.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My last 5 cars for myself, or my family have been online purchases, Trucar, Carvana or otherwise... One must be willing to walk away and don't let a selling dealer or manufacture pressure you into a sale your not comfortable with. New is certainly easier then used but I have faith that RIVIAN will do the right thing since the $1000 reservation is already refundable.

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
Having worked on visualizations with some understanding of what's required and the limitations, I'm sure the renderings are being produced accurately. What they can't control are monitor settings and lighting, both of which greatly affect how a color is perceived. In the case of lighting, that's true both when viewing colors on unpredictable, mostly uncalibrated monitors, and in the real world.
I don’t disagree that those things would have something to do with it, but when I’m looking at renderings vs real world pics on the same device, and the colors look completely different, then the problem is not on my end.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts