Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Is CarKey Support something you'd like Rivian to Add (Pick Up to 2)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Total new guy here... Had my heart set on a Cybertruck, but common sense (and a wife who hates the aesthetic) suggest that the Rivian might be a better option. Love what the company is doing, the functionality of the truck, and the not-super-crazy-aesthetic all combine to make the R1T 'work' for us a bit better.

I'm curious - are there a lot of other Apple users here? At WWDC today, they announced enhancements to CarKey (Ultra Wide Band which enables precision location of where your device is), as well as support for third party devices to use Siri.

While Siri & CarPlay would make me a very happy camper, their absence wouldn't be a dealbreaker. CarKey though.... I'll be super disappointed if they're not able to bring support to Rivian. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Venn Diagram of "Apple Users" and "Rivian Buyers" is probably a slightly oblong circle, so it's something that would absolutely be used. I'd even be willing to pay a premium to add it (I'd honestly probably pay up to $2,000 to add CarKey + Siri + CarPlay support, $1,500 for CarKey alone) as a feature.

EDIT TO ADD: I totally understand why Rivian is doing their own infotainment system, and don't fault them for it. While I don't own a Tesla personally, I drive my housemates Teslas often. I do have CarPlay on my own vehicle (still sipping dino juice) and absolutely love it. What Tesla has done with their Infotainment system is what I'm guessing Rivian will do with theirs, and honestly it's great and I don't miss the lack of CarPlay in the slightest when I'm driving their vehicles.

Am I alone here? Anyone else interested?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
384 Posts
Welcome! CarKey is not a big deal for me. Would love CarPlay though! For the key, I just like anything that will automatically detect my presence and unlock the doors without me having to have something in my hands and push buttons.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nope. I hated having to use a phone as a key on my prior Model 3. I mean, really, really, really hated it. I certainly wouldn't mind it as an "option" for those that live with their phones glued to their side. But, for the rest of us, give me my key fob to throw in my pocket and never have to think about again until the batters run out in 2-3 years. I'm sure Rivian's key fob will have passive entry / exit technology and basically be keyless with the fob in your pocket. Keyfobs don't rely on being connected to the cellular network and generally work flawlessly. Again, phones as keys are great as an extra option for those that want it, just don't take away the keyfob is all I ask. Tesla finally was force to offer a keyfob for the Model 3/Y after all the complaints. Would assume any new manufacturer will learn from other's prior mistakes. Forcing people to use their phones or swipe a credit card to get in your car as the "ONLY" options was a huge mistake. It was one of the primary reasons I sold the Model 3. Tesla fixed the issue about a year later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope. I hated having to use a phone as a key on my prior Model 3. I mean, really, really, really hated it. I certainly wouldn't mind it as an "option" for those that live with their phones glued to their side. But, for the rest of us, give me my key fob to throw in my pocket and never have to think about again until the batters run out in 2-3 years.
Fair points! I still struggle with the Model 3s feature and sometimes have to get out my phone and launch the app if I haven’t driven it in a few days in order for it to work correctly. That said: they’re using Bluetooth pairing and app authentication. CarKey is more akin to NFC payments - which have been 100% reliable for me. No app required, just integrated in to the wallet app on the phone and your watch (if you’re an Apple Watch user).

I suppose I also should’ve been more clear that I didn’t mean exclusively as much as I meant “have it as an option.” Great points though! I’m also hopeful most states adopt Apple’s Digital ID thing. I’m mostly hopeful I can just bring my phone, and only my phone, 99% of places I go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome! CarKey is not a big deal for me. Would love CarPlay though! For the key, I just like anything that will automatically detect my presence and unlock the doors without me having to have something in my hands and push buttons.
Don’t get me wrong - I love CarPlay in my own car, but… I also happen to drive a friends Tesla often enough that I have my own profile and my phone is set up as a key. I don’t really miss CarPlay in their car - and I love not needing to remember to grab anything else.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Rivian has said you can use your phone as a key.... although it's probably just a Bluetooth implementation rather than ultra-wide-band like the updated CarKey.

I watched the WWDC 21 keynote, yesterday, and the updates to Apple Maps look amazing. I'm anxious to see a demo of what Rivian has come up with.... I am worried that it will be outdated before they even deliver their first vehicle.

That's one of the biggest benefits to supporting CarPlay, in my mind... It gives owners some assurance that their experience will remain "current" over long-term vehicle ownership.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not sure I'd like the idea in using a phone as a key to start and run a vehicle. Phones are hackable. While key fobs are not (unless left out of your control). I subscribe to the K.I.S.S. principle. Too many people in this world rely too heavily on a smart phone.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Rivian has said you can use your phone as a key.... although it's probably just a Bluetooth implementation rather than ultra-wide-band like the updated CarKey.

I watched the WWDC 21 keynote, yesterday, and the updates to Apple Maps look amazing. I'm anxious to see a demo of what Rivian has come up with.... I am worried that it will be outdated before they even deliver their first vehicle.

That's one of the biggest benefits to supporting CarPlay, in my mind... It gives owners some assurance that their experience will remain "current" over long-term vehicle ownership.
As do OTA updates. Even my 2005 Prius (recently donated - still running on 2nd battery) had an updateable navigation system (albeit DVD based).

·
Registered
651 Posts
As do OTA updates. Even my 2005 Prius (recently donated - still running on 2nd battery) had an updateable navigation system (albeit DVD based).
Sure... My current car gets OTA map updates. But I bet we still see more dramatic feature improvements via Apple and CarPlay.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
124 Posts
We already know Rivian is providing a physical key but the app on the phone might provide some features to unlock the car. Don't need CarKey per say and with the absence of CarPlay I would highly doubt CarKey would be there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I currently have a Model 3 and really like not having a key. 99% of the time I have zero issue with the phone, for the other 1% of the time, I have an RFID chip in my wedding band that I use to "start" the car (and also works great when working out so don't need my phone with me). As I don't have keys for my house either, the only key I used to have to carry was for the bathroom at work but haven't needed that in 15 months. A key fob is much more hackable than my phone.

Tesla doesn't have CarPlay but have used it often in rentals - my view on it was that it was great for rentals as you have all your info in any car you get into, but for my main car, I preferred an infotainment system that is better incorporated into the vehicle ecosystem, however, after seeing the maps Apple presented in WWDS, I now want CarPlay.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The technologies aren't linked.
My point is that Rivian has not been interested in integrating Apple technologies, thus far... And although they've said they will include phone-as-a-key functionality, they have never mentioned "CarKey". Considering that CarKey is for Apple users, only, it seems unlikely that Rivian would use it without calling it out by name... They're most likely using another solution that is bluetooth-only and will work with Android as well as iOS.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Tesla doesn't have CarPlay but have used it often in rentals - my view on it was that it was great for rentals as you have all your info in any car you get into, but for my main car, I preferred an infotainment system that is better incorporated into the vehicle ecosystem, however, after seeing the maps Apple presented in WWDS, I now want CarPlay.
I have CarPlay in my current vehicle which gives me 3 nav choices, OEM, Apple Maps and Waze. The built-in nav is still the most seamless. Waze bugs the hell out of me because it's really no different than using it on my unconnected phone. So a robust, nicely-featured OEM system will win out for me.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Total new guy here... Had my heart set on a Cybertruck, but common sense (and a wife who hates the aesthetic) suggest that the Rivian might be a better option. Love what the company is doing, the functionality of the truck, and the not-super-crazy-aesthetic all combine to make the R1T 'work' for us a bit better.

I'm curious - are there a lot of other Apple users here? At WWDC today, they announced enhancements to CarKey (Ultra Wide Band which enables precision location of where your device is), as well as support for third party devices to use Siri.

While Siri & CarPlay would make me a very happy camper, their absence wouldn't be a dealbreaker. CarKey though.... I'll be super disappointed if they're not able to bring support to Rivian. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Venn Diagram of "Apple Users" and "Rivian Buyers" is probably a slightly oblong circle, so it's something that would absolutely be used. I'd even be willing to pay a premium to add it (I'd honestly probably pay up to $2,000 to add CarKey + Siri + CarPlay support, $1,500 for CarKey alone) as a feature.

EDIT TO ADD: I totally understand why Rivian is doing their own infotainment system, and don't fault them for it. While I don't own a Tesla personally, I drive my housemates Teslas often. I do have CarPlay on my own vehicle (still sipping dino juice) and absolutely love it. What Tesla has done with their Infotainment system is what I'm guessing Rivian will do with theirs, and honestly it's great and I don't miss the lack of CarPlay in the slightest when I'm driving their vehicles.

Am I alone here? Anyone else interested?
It would be nice to have but I wouldn't use it regularly. If it's added without cost great, if it costs extra I won't get it and if it's not available at all I won't lose sleep over it.

Btw Welcome to the forum @babywrinkles!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Probably better if the functionality is included in the Rivian App, as has been mentioned, so that it works with most phones, not just iOS. As a Model 3 owner I do love having the option of using my phone as the key, which I use most of the time instead of the card.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
384 Posts
Probably better if the functionality is included in the Rivian App, as has been mentioned, so that it works with most phones, not just iOS. As a Model 3 owner I do love having the option of using my phone as the key, which I use most of the time instead of the card.
On the Model 3, does the car simply detect the phone and unlock similar to having the fob in your pocket? Or do you have to take out your phone, unlock the phone, open the app, and then navigate thru the app to unlock the car? If th latter, then I’d rather just carry the fob and be hands free.

·
Registered
651 Posts
On the Model 3, does the car simply detect the phone and unlock similar to having the fob in your pocket? Or do you have to take out your phone, unlock the phone, open the app, and then navigate thru the app to unlock the car? If th latter, then I’d rather just carry the fob and be hands free.
You can keep your phone in your pocket and the car will unlock when you approach.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure I'd like the idea in using a phone as a key to start and run a vehicle. Phones are hackable. While key fobs are not (unless left out of your control). I subscribe to the K.I.S.S. principle. Too many people in this world rely too heavily on a smart phone.
Apple's implementation of CarKey seems pretty hard to simply hack. Certainly would require physical access to an unlocked phone + unlocked vehicle + knowledge of the credentials based on the docs from Apple - which seems harder to 'hack' than a keyfob?

While I understand your sentiment that too many people in the world rely too heavily on the smart phone - I'd argue that it's become an extension of modern humans, and that we're actually the first generation of machine-augmented humans. Doom scrolling and social media are certainly made easier by smart phones - and I'm strongly opposed to that (I have no social media presence outside of LinkedIn), but the capabilities it offers turn it in to an invaluable tool. Smart devices can/will replace our Wallets and keys in the future - and that there's nothing wrong with that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts