Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Super Moderator
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Among other things, I plan to use the R1T for ski vacations. I've traditionally used a Thule top box to carry skis on my SUV's, freeing up interior space for luggage and the gear needed for two dogs. I'm hoping to be able to fit the Thule or other box on the cross bars over the bed of the R1T, rather than on the roof, but am not sure that's possible. Has anyone done this with their R1T?

My understanding is that the R1T crossbars are attached via fixed points on the rails of the bed. Since the Thule needs roughly 24" of space from the front cross bar to the rear of the passenger compartment to fit, I wonder if it will work with the factory crossbars.

I'll also point out that the gear tunnel is not long enough for my purposes. While the bed could work diagonally (I think there is something like 73" that way), it's less than ideal for multiple skis and eats into covered storage space.

· Super Moderator
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand that you can fit longer skis in diagonally, but that is an issue since it eats into storage space. With a single pair of skis, that may not be too much of a problem, but multiple pairs of skis will need to be staked on top of each, making the bed into two relatively small right triangles of storage space. Perhaps not a problem if the bed is open, but that seems less than ideal for winter driving.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to fit our Thule XL cargo box over the bed. That would mean having a decent amount of covered space in the bed (assuming Rivian works the bugs out of their tonneau cover) for our luggage, other ski gear and all the paraphernalia associated with traveling with two medium-sized dogs. I'm sure the Thule will fit on the roof of the R1T, but that seems like a less elegant, less aero solution than over the bed.

· Registered
60 Posts
Unfortunately, you will be out of luck with the Thule XL box over the bed. I'm in the same boat with a Yakima RT box I have. The cross bars are mounted in fixed positions and there is only 14 inches from the center of the front crossbar to the roof fairing.

I'll try to get a pic of how my skis fit in the bed soon.
Automotive design Automotive tire Wood Asphalt Gas

· Super Moderator
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks @lethargic_wombat, that's exactly the info I was looking for. The Thule needs about 24" to face forward and open, so I may look into seeing if I can fabricate something to attach to the front crossbar to offset the box 10" or so rearward. Or maybe it will work facing to the rear; will measure the Thule tomorrow morning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts