Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading the thread about the steering column and noticed, on a picture what looked like the center console has pull out cup holders at the base. With the upper portion of the console angled, will there be enough room to put in something larger than a plastic water bottle. I use a Yeti 32oz with a tapered bottom and it fits well in any truck I've been in, including my Tundra. That would be rough to not have any room to put a larger cup in for my road trips. Has anyone seen it or are there videos that show this feature?

·
Registered
794 Posts
I was just reading the thread about the steering column and noticed, on a picture what looked like the center console has pull out cup holders at the base. With the upper portion of the console angled, will there be enough room to put in something larger than a plastic water bottle. I use a Yeti 32oz with a tapered bottom and it fits well in any truck I've been in, including my Tundra. That would be rough to not have any room to put a larger cup in for my road trips. Has anyone seen it or are there videos that show this feature?
Hey @BoatTox from these photos I don't think the center console should interfere with any cups or bottles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the response. This really puts my mind at ease. I’m not sure what I was seeing on that other picture, they look like they were much further down at the base. Happy holidays.

QUOTE="R99, post: 4503, member: 28"]
Hey @BoatTox from these photos I don't think the center console should interfere with any cups or bottles.

View attachment 1061 View attachment 1062
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hate that style cupholder...impossible to hold smaller sized cans (redbull etc).

·
Registered
95 Posts
I also hate this style of cup holder, my Saturn Sky has these, they are made of plastic and are prone to sticking and breaking. They can get sticky anytime you leak some of your drink onto them then slide them back in. They are also relatively shallow and do not hold tall cups very well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
But should we have to fix the cup holders on a brand new 75k truck? I hope they work better than they look.
Ideally no, but I have a feeling we will be happy with the final product. If they take a lesson from Tesla they will be receptive to the publics input. The aftermarket will also be quick to produce things we want/need/desire. Cheers

·
Registered
67 Posts
I see all of the space in front of the center console and keep thinking there is an opportunity for some aftermarket solution there.
I think one of the reasons it has to be so open like that is because that is where the bluetooth speaker is docked (supposedly...).
Would be nice if there were some sort of mount points in that area to 'hook' into.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I think one of the reasons it has to be so open like that is because that is where the bluetooth speaker is docked (supposedly...).
Would be nice if there were some sort of mount points in that area to 'hook' into.
Sounds like another task for someone or a company to 3D print something for. Ideally a more useable tray than the one running throughout the center console.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not spending this much money for a cup holder. If that is my only complaint then I would consider it money well spent.

If a shitty cup holder is a deal breaker for anyone, I will happily move 1 number up in the queue 😂😋
I don't think this issue is invalid. I have a farm, like to travel, and I carry something more than a water bottle with me wherever I go. If I'm buying a Ford GT then I think the discussion of a cupholder is pretty low on the list, but this will by my truck for everything and cupholders that are good and hold larger cups are standard in pickup trucks. I shouldn't have to wear a camel back everywhere I go because I'm an "adventurer." Sorry but the snark is bothering me this morning. I just wanted to see if someone had experience with these or had seen the cupholder in person.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't think this issue is invalid. I have a farm, like to travel, and I carry something more than a water bottle with me wherever I go. If I'm buying a Ford GT then I think the discussion of a cupholder is pretty low on the list, but this will by my truck for everything and cupholders that are good and hold larger cups are standard in pickup trucks. I shouldn't have to wear a camel back everywhere I go because I'm an "adventurer." Sorry but the snark is bothering me this morning. I just wanted to see if someone had experience with these or had seen the cupholder in person.
Agreed.

My GMC Sierra Denali has excellent cup holders. And the doors can fit large Hydroflasks, too. These are supposed to be adventure vehicles that blend luxury and ruggedness. The flop-out cupholders (like what you got on a early 2000's Tundra with a bench seat) are not meeting that standard, imo.

It's not enough for me to cancel my pre-order. Heck, the lack of CarPlay is probably a bigger sin, imo. But that doesn't mean we can't discuss the shortcomings. Hopefully, people at Rivian solicit feedback and improvements will be made. Probably not in time for my delivery, but I want Rivian to stick around and be successful, so certainly the R1T will get refreshed, at some point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed.

My GMC Sierra Denali has excellent cup holders. And the doors can fit large Hydroflasks, too. These are supposed to be adventure vehicles that blend luxury and ruggedness. The flop-out cupholders (like what you got on a early 2000's Tundra with a bench seat) are not meeting that standard, imo.

It's not enough for me to cancel my pre-order. Heck, the lack of CarPlay is probably a bigger sin, imo. But that doesn't mean we can't discuss the shortcomings. Hopefully, people at Rivian solicit feedback and improvements will be made. Probably not in time for my delivery, but I want Rivian to stick around and be successful, so certainly the R1T will get refreshed, at some point.
It's crazy, but these things matter. When I was deciding on 2014 Tundra, I drove almost everything in small and midsized pickups. It was these types of things that help make the choice. The center console, cup holders, etc can make/break a purchase. At the time I didn't appreciate it, but the roll down back window may be my favorite feature in my truck. We travel a lot to the lake in the summer. It's about an hour away on twisty roads, and after a long day on the boat, I can roll down the back window and drive the whole way home at highway speeds. The kids are alseep in the back and my wife in the front. I could never do that with the side windows. Anyway, I digress, but most of the time is in the cabin of the truck and where my drink is and a place to put a phone that doesn't shoot off into the floor when you drive on curvy roads are important features in my opinion. Especially if everyone is going to be taking it on the mountain trails in all the promo material:) As for apple car play, Rivian told me that they feel the Apple and Google systems are too limiting. Does anyone here have a Tesla? I need it to take calls, read txts to me and allow me to respond, Audible books, use google maps (not something else, especially apple maps), possible waze, and play my music easily. Rivian said it will do these things. I will be interested in the execution if it is not Apple Car play as it does those things very well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's crazy, but these things matter. When I was deciding on 2014 Tundra, I drove almost everything in small and midsized pickups. It was these types of things that help make the choice. The center console, cup holders, etc can make/break a purchase. At the time I didn't appreciate it, but the roll down back window may be my favorite feature in my truck. We travel a lot to the lake in the summer. It's about an hour away on twisty roads, and after a long day on the boat, I can roll down the back window and drive the whole way home at highway speeds. The kids are alseep in the back and my wife in the front. I could never do that with the side windows. Anyway, I digress, but most of the time is in the cabin of the truck and where my drink is and a place to put a phone that doesn't shoot off into the floor when you drive on curvy roads are important features in my opinion. Especially if everyone is going to be taking it on the mountain trails in all the promo material:) As for apple car play, Rivian told me that they feel the Apple and Google systems are too limiting. Does anyone here have a Tesla? I need it to take calls, read txts to me and allow me to respond, Audible books, use google maps (not something else, especially apple maps), possible waze, and play my music easily. Rivian said it will do these things. I will be interested in the execution if it is not Apple Car play as it does those things very well.
My Volvo has all of those integrations but also has CarPlay. I find myself using CarPlay 99% of the time because it’s better.

Maybe Rivian has done what no other auto manufacturer has been able to do? I hope that’s true. But I’m not holding my breath.

Another issue is one of choice/freedom. I am invested heavily in the Apple ecosystem. I use an iPhone, Apple Watch, MacBook Pro, etc. My family uses Apple Music, too. Will Rivian‘s infotainment system have an Apple Music app? Porsche does... but most other manufacturers do not. Volvo wanted me to switch to Pandora (ugh) or Spotify (don’t like it). Thankfully, they support CarPlay so I use that and enjoy my Apple Music.

If Rivian tells us that Apple is too limiting, then they better give us everything AND MORE. Otherwise, it’s all lies.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts