Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some general questions about the center console that I'm hoping y'all can answer.

1) It seems to only open when you push BOTH buttons at the same time. Is that the case for you? If you push them slightly out of sync, it won't open. This is kind of annoying.

2a) My main question and beef with it, is you only have the option to open both flaps. You can't just click one button to open one side. You must push both buttons at the same exact time and that opens both flaps.
2b) It would be very convenient to just open one side, by just pushing that side's button. The main use case for this is while driving, only wanting to open the passenger side to get something small and quick (like sunglasses, chap stick, napkin). Opening the driver side flap / both flaps while driving gets in the way and I use the driver side flap as an arm rest while driving. I've already done this multiple times: open both flaps, close the driver side immediately, leave the passenger side open, continue to drive.

3) Mine hardly ever opens on the first try. I have to push the buttons multiple times to get it to open. It seems very glitchy. Anyone else? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Should I put in a ticket for this or is this normal?

Overall, this thing just isn't great. It's good. But I want great when buying a $90,000 vehicle. Seems like a strange design.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Welcome @DallasJohn. For me, both flaps open when pushing either button. I do not have to push both. There is no way to open only one flap. I'm fine with that since the console is deep and not that wide to begin with. I don't think having only one flap open would give me enough access. Also, mine is very responsive. I have never had to push both buttons or make multiple attempts to open the center console. Sounds like you might want to put in a ticket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome @DallasJohn. For me, both flaps open when pushing either button. I do not have to push both. There is no way to open only one flap. I'm fine with that since the console is deep and not that wide to begin with. I don't think having only one flap open would give me enough access. Also, mine is very responsive. I have never had to push both buttons or make multiple attempts to open the center console. Sounds like you might want to put in a ticket.
Thanks! Great info. Mine definitely does not open by just pushing one of the two buttons.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only the passenger side button works on mine. Regarding opening only one side, pretty sure you can put pressure on one side and the other will still open.
For some strange reason, the flaps will no open independently. Even if you physically prevent just one of them from opening. My experience has been if I push the button(s) with my arm on just one side, nothing happens--neither opens.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Same with me, either button opens both.

What I'm curious is what people have figured out for as far as solutions for storing documents that would normally go in the glove box. The cubby in the seat front is too small, the center console is just a deep hole. I'm thinking, as annoying as it would be, it would be best put

·
Registered
22 Posts
For some strange reason, the flaps will no open independently. Even if you physically prevent just one of them from opening. My experience has been if I push the button(s) with my arm on just one side, nothing happens--neither opens.
I messed around with it on my R1T and it works for me with pressure on one side. I was able to get my driver side button to work too by pressing it hard. The passenger button barely needs to be touched to activate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Same with me, either button opens both.

What I'm curious is what people have figured out for as far as solutions for storing documents that would normally go in the glove box. The cubby in the seat front is too small, the center console is just a deep hole. I'm thinking, as annoying as it would be, it would be best put
In the center console, folded and stored vertically, tucked in the elastic band at the rear of the center console.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My TWRAPS Center Console just shipped. Will let y'all know how it is. This should help keep documents stored vertically or below more safe from everyday use that are in the top compartment of the organizer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have some general questions about the center console that I'm hoping y'all can answer.

1) It seems to only open when you push BOTH buttons at the same time. Is that the case for you? If you push them slightly out of sync, it won't open. This is kind of annoying.

2a) My main question and beef with it, is you only have the option to open both flaps. You can't just click one button to open one side. You must push both buttons at the same exact time and that opens both flaps.
2b) It would be very convenient to just open one side, by just pushing that side's button. The main use case for this is while driving, only wanting to open the passenger side to get something small and quick (like sunglasses, chap stick, napkin). Opening the driver side flap / both flaps while driving gets in the way and I use the driver side flap as an arm rest while driving. I've already done this multiple times: open both flaps, close the driver side immediately, leave the passenger side open, continue to drive.

3) Mine hardly ever opens on the first try. I have to push the buttons multiple times to get it to open. It seems very glitchy. Anyone else? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Should I put in a ticket for this or is this normal?

Overall, this thing just isn't great. It's good. But I want great when buying a $90,000 vehicle. Seems like a strange design.
I’m in the same boat. My buttons are wonky as well. Sometimes they work and other times it takes a few pushes. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I use a Patagonia Black Hole Cube Small for miscellaneous item organization In the cemter console. And I use an REI zip pouch for documents — also fits well in center console.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts