Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like this discussion has waned a bit, and I'm curious. I have a Frankenstein system of solar with 2 Powerwalls, and would love to use a R1T max pack to replace (or enhance?) my Powerwalls..

All that said, do others have hope this will be added sometime (I can wait, but have a preorder in on a max pack).

· Registered
1,322 Posts
Hey @isu89. I'd definitely be interested if Rivian had bi-directional charging available for the R1T, especially with the likes of Ford already doing it with the F-150 Lightning. Hopefully it's something they can add in future R1Ts and other models. What powerwalls do you current have installed at your home?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I am only considering an F150L for that feature alone (would much prefer R1T).

Currently we've got 2 2nd generation Powerwalls, total capacity around 27kW or so. It has helped us at least 3 times in power outages, and I can get around 8 or 9 hours of whole home regular usage in the summer.

Having a R1T or F150L serve as my new battery would be fantastic with that much more capacity. The Powerwalls are not cheap, so the cost justification for the trucks would be there (In an emergency power outage I'd be happy to drain them to zero and use our gas car as a backup vehicle). No clue if our electrician/PW installers would be able to combine a bidirectional truck battery along with the PW batteries, but I would like to challenge them, ha.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh ok had not seen this (but, this was from March so not sure of the timeline given the layoffs, etc)

Scaringe said that Rivian is “also developing a heat pump-based thermal system,” bidirectional components, and “a bidirectional home charger and home energy products.” In other words, the company will soon offer a more efficient heating system for its cars and will make these EVs also work as moving power storage devices. Hopefully, it will test them enough to avoid the heat pump issues that Tesla is currently experiencing.

· Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
84 Posts
Oh ok had not seen this (but, this was from March so not sure of the timeline given the layoffs, etc)

Scaringe said that Rivian is “also developing a heat pump-based thermal system,” bidirectional components, and “a bidirectional home charger and home energy products.” In other words, the company will soon offer a more efficient heating system for its cars and will make these EVs also work as moving power storage devices. Hopefully, it will test them enough to avoid the heat pump issues that Tesla is currently experiencing.

I'll be curious about timelines, but it probably follows Tesla's model of "it'll show up when it shows up" with regards to changes. We'll have to wait and see if it was truly a software problem or if it will require further development and a potential recall (probably a bit of both).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts