Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped my wheels tires (22 sport) with someone that had the 20 AT. I called Rivian multiple times and every time I called I got a different answer from the service department. They told me that it wasn't possible to do at a third party tire shop or they told me I could and they could send me an update to reprogram the truck to the new tires.

I tried to make an appointment at my closest Rivian Service center which is in Phoenix but I could never get them on the phone for several days and neither could Rivian. So I opted for swapping them at a third party.

It was extremely easy to jack the truck up when removing the 4 under body covers. After the tires were on I was worried the speedometer would be off and the range estimate would be way off. But the speedometer actually got more accurate, the tire sensors reset themselves and the range estimate was only off by around 6-8 miles.

I was able to get an appointment at a different service center in a few weeks to reprogram the truck but I'm not sure how much that will actually change anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In the upcoming OTA software update they are reducing the buffer for the speedo, so I think you'll see that your speedo is incorrect after the update. The 20" tires are about 1" larger in diameter which is why your speedo in now closer to actual. But after the update I think your speedo might read lower than you are actually driving. I did the same thing and I have an appointment in Oct to get the truck reprogrammed from 21's to 20's.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Good info Im taking the stock 21 inch well off and putting 22's on with new All Terrain tires, I will ask my guide about that. Thanks for the info
why? I’m guessing for looks? AT will be pointless (as they will only decrease efficiency) any off road scenario that would justify ATs will be moot with low sidewall on 22’s…

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had an opportunity to discuss this topic with a Rivian engineer today. He highly recommended this "reprogramming" step after any wheel swap. It's not just for the odometer, but settings related to stability control, traction control, any other systems. These settings are not critical for routine driving conditions, but become important as you near the edges of the performance envelope.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In the upcoming OTA software update they are reducing the buffer for the speedo, so I think you'll see that your speedo is incorrect after the update. The 20" tires are about 1" larger in diameter which is why your speedo in now closer to actual. But after the update I think your speedo might read lower than you are actually driving. I did the same thing and I have an appointment in Oct to get the truck reprogrammed from 21's to 20's.
I have the 21” Wheels on mine and the speedo is off by 5 at low speeds at 7-9 at higher speeds. Drives me nuts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the 21” Wheels on mine and the speedo is off by 5 at low speeds at 7-9 at higher speeds. Drives me nuts.
If this occurs for everyone who orders the vehicles with the 21”wheels then Rivian need to sort this out asap. After all, the max range is supposed to occur with the 21”s and hence you’d expect that variant to be the most popular especially since the 21”s are standard Without extra costs incurred. There is no way that the speedometer should not be calibrated correctly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If this occurs for everyone who orders the vehicles with the 21”wheels then Rivian need to sort this out asap. After all, the max range is supposed to occur with the 21”s and hence you’d expect that variant to be the most popular especially since the 21”s are standard Without extra costs incurred. There is no way that the speedometer should not be calibrated correctly.
So I just got pushed an update and the Speedo is off 1 or 2 miles max now. Not as bad, pushed it to 100 just to check and I was at 102 dash while 2 other gps readings were at 100 exactly. At 85 it was 86 on the dash. I can live with that. Probably messes with the range calculation somewhat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I swapped my wheels tires (22 sport) with someone that had the 20 AT. I called Rivian multiple times and every time I called I got a different answer from the service department. They told me that it wasn't possible to do at a third party tire shop or they told me I could and they could send me an update to reprogram the truck to the new tires.
Curious what is driving you to make the switch. I'm on pre-order for R1S with delivery next quarter, and I'm waffling between the 22 sport and the 20 AT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts